Forums Latest Members
  1. Leemcl2105 Feb 18, 2019

Hi All

Can anyone who knows vintage / modern Rolex tell me much ( anything ) about this Rolex I have ?

I think it’s a 1983 Oyster - obviously marked a Date Just.

It runs well, although is not having much robustness in storing the power on the Automatic movement, often stopping overnight if not worn. I tend towards wearing my Omega Constellation mostly, as this watch does need a little TLC, especially on the acrylic / glass.

I have always been scared to consider the cost involved in changing the acrylic or getting the strap / dial all sorted out - any views on what that costs ?

Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Dan S Feb 18, 2019

The photos aren’t good enough to say much but it certainly looks like a ref 16013 and is plausibly for the early 1980s. If you remove the bracelet and post photos of the numbers between lugs at top and bottom we could tell you more.

Paying for routine maintenance at regular service intervals is part of the cost of owning a vintage watch. Find a good independent watchmaker and have him give you an estimate.

3. DRjre086 Feb 18, 2019

Looks like a 16013 to me but you need to take off the bracelet to:
    1) date the watch by serial #
    2) confirm model number

4. Leemcl2105 Feb 18, 2019

Thanks. Limited knowledge of bracelet removal and especially not on a Rolex is it hard ? Sorry to ask such a rookie question.

5. DRjre086 Feb 18, 2019

Not hard, but you will need a proper strap changing tool to do the job and a steady hand to resist scratching the lugs.

It should have lug holes that you will push the spring bars through on each side and thus release the bracelet from the case.

6. Dan S Feb 18, 2019

I'll bet there are several dozen youtube videos on this topic.

Leemcl2105 likes this.
  7. mgarelik Feb 18, 2019

Have you been hand winding before wearing the watch. If you do this, does it keep time? Why not polish the crystal with Polywatch...or another plastic polish..and wear it. If you like it, then worth sending for service.

Leemcl2105 likes this.
  8. kkt Feb 18, 2019

I don't see any reason an early 1980s Rolex shouldn't be able to handle daily wear if you wish. Yes, it will need service about every 5 years. If you have trouble locating a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account, post your city and maybe someone can chime in with suggestions.

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. Leemcl2105 Feb 20, 2019

Had a chat with my Dad, who owned the watch for 15 years before gifting it to me. I asked if he has ever had any kind of service. He said no ( not a surprise as it was not a daily wear and mostly was just in store ) i’ve worn the watch a lot over the last few days and it does not lose time at all. Its spot on as far as my limited skills can tell.

I am London / Essex boarders so any service centre around this location that can be recommended would be welcomed.

10. DRjre086 Feb 20, 2019

Good to hear it is runnning well in terms of time keeping but the limited power reserve begs a service especially since you have confirmed it hasn’t been serviced in nearly 2 decades.

That being said, I just had my 1986 16013 Datejust serviced last month for only the 2nd time in its life. It was a gift from my wife for our wedding and doesn’t get a lot of wrist time other than special occasions.

Leemcl2105 likes this.
  11. Leemcl2105 Feb 20, 2019

For sure, the limited power reserve seems a bit of a concern. Although it’s much improved the more I wear it.

I’d love to have Rolex service and restore this watch will have to start saving the £ necessary.

12. DRjre086 Feb 20, 2019

Not a bad idea but just keep in mind that sending to RSC will be costly and time consuming. In my opinion you’d be better off finding a local watchmaker who specializes in Rolex service to save you time. Just my $.02

13. kkt Feb 20, 2019

I'd avoid wearing the watch or winding it up to run before it's serviced. The lubricants dry out over the years, so even if it's not losing time it will cause extra wear on the parts.