Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rolex Explorer Ref. 1016 Mk2 Dial

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 8, 2020

Up for sale is a terrific example of a Rolex icon, the reference 1016 Rolex Explorer. I originally found this watch three years ago for sale from a pawn shop in West Virginia with a horribly scratched crystal and blurry pictures. I subsequently sourced a T22 domed crystal and sent it off to HQ Milton’s in-house watchmaker for a service. I am sad to see this one go, but I’ll eventually own another 1016 again. See below for all details:

Dial/Hands: This Explorer features the rarest matte dial variant, a Mk2. The dial is a 9/10, in my opinion. All lume is original and perfectly matching. Under UV, the lume glows consistently but immediately fades out. There is a small scratch at the edge of the dial near the 5 o’clock marker, but it is not visible on the wrist by virtue of its location on the edge of the dial and the domed crystal. Hands are original and match perfectly, with no cracking or degradation.

Case: Case is strong despite its fair share of sleeve polish and surface scratches. The key “tell” for these 1016 Explorers is the underside of the lugs and the alignment of the lug hole, and as you can see, both remain strong. I chose not to restore the case in any way when it was serviced, but if the next owner chooses to do so (from a reputable shop), it would create a top tier example. Serial of 2.1M aligns correctly with the Mk2 dial.

Movement: The watch was serviced three years ago and keeps perfect time with the longest power reserve of any watch in my collection. There is obviously no remaining warranty, but the watch has been worn in a large rotation over the past few years and should not require servicing for another 3-5 years, most likely. That said, the watch is sold as-is.

Bracelet: The watch comes with a 62510H bracelet that accompanied the watch when I found it. End links are a perfect fit but unmarked. The 62510 dates to the mid-1970’s, so I would assume that the original bracelet was replaced at a servicing.

Accessories: None

My asking price is $14,000, which includes fully insured Fedex Priority shipping. Payment via PayPal (F&F or add 3% if using PP) or direct bank wire. Face-to-face in Denver is welcome for local buyers. Returns are not accepted unless I have materially misrepresented something (and I don't believe I have). Finally, I have plenty of references available as a buyer and seller that I can provide if necessary. Thanks for looking and thanks to OF for the space.
    8.26.20-5.jpg 8.26.20-4.jpg 8.26.20-6.jpg 8.26.20-7.jpg 8.26.20-8.jpg 8.28.20-1.jpg 8.27.20-1.jpg 8.26.20-1.jpg 8.26.20-2.jpg

2. Seacow Nov 9, 2020

I wish I have the money to buy it....so good...

3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 9, 2020

OHPF

WYO_Watch, Just Livin, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  4. Seaborg Nov 9, 2020

Thanks God, this was a torture ::facepalm2::::love::

Seacow, Benbradstock, watch3s and 2 others like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Nov 9, 2020

A watch like this is akin to someone dropping a Chocolate cake on the table at a Weight Watchers meeting...we just sit there silently waiting to see who caves first.

fizz, WatchCor, Woops and 6 others like this.