Forums Latest Members

Rolex Explorer II 1655 with second hand lume dot further out?

1. Burr Dec 20, 2020

Posted this on Rolex forums but wanted to see if there were additional opinions here.

In doing research on Explorer II 1655s, I came across the below post in another forum where it mentions the second hand lume pip is further out on early 1980s 1655s. Of course we know of the straight hand transition to lollipop, but I haven’t seen the below mentioned here or in articles/reviews on the 1655s from the usual online watch magazine sites.

Has anyone else ever heard about this?

Relevant quote from the post, which mentions “lume pip” but they are referring to the lume dot found on the sweeping seconds hand:

“Most Rolex models have the lume pip around 56% of the way out from the center of the dial (relative to the length of the second-hand from dial-center to tip). This one, and it's been documented this existed on some models from the early 80's, has the pip about 68% of the way out. You can read a little more about it (and so much more) here (though make sure your browser can translate, as the page is in German):

http://www.r-l-x.de/forum/showthread.ph ... 5-(Update)”

Original post:
    http://thedivewatchconnection.com/fo...pic.php?t=9433

Here’s a pic of a 1655 with the 68% lume dot on seconds hand I found from exoticwatches.net
    [​IMG]

Pic of 1655 with the more commonly placed lume dot on the seconds hand:
    [​IMG]

The difference is barely noticeable, but these are the kind of things some of us nerd out on :). It’s more apparent when the second hand sweeps over 12 o’clock.

I’ve also seen Rolex do this with the explorer I blackout, so maybe it’s something they explored with the explorer line in the early and late 80s. I’ve heard from other forum members this was also found on some subs and GMTs too, would love to see pics if anyone has any.

So what do you all think? Service replacement, nuance at the original factory, or something else? I personally think they are original to the watches as I’d think they’d be more common if they were service parts.

Hnansen and AAAKK like this.
  2. Burr Nov 16, 2021

Haha I guess this post wasn’t very interesting, I must of went too far down the 1655 rabbit hole :)

cvalue13 likes this.
  3. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Nov 18, 2021

I can't provide an educated opinion but I found it interesting. Can't leave you hanging without a single response to your thread!

Burr likes this.
  4. cvalue13 Nov 18, 2021

I also don’t have intelligence to add, but find it interesting. As you say, these are the kind of things some of us nerd out on upload_2021-11-18_17-46-52.png .

Burr likes this.
  5. Burr Nov 19, 2021

Many thanks :thumbsup:

6. Fedoclock Nov 24, 2021

Interesting topic. I have asked in another italian forum. If I ll find the answer I keep you informed.

7. Fedoclock Nov 25, 2021

So as promised here I am.

It seems that was different batches of production. It happened in 1675 and 1680 as well.

There is an user that also said it was produced during the last serials so the most common configuration is with the last mk dial.

swaini3 and bigsom like this.
  8. King.of.Kings Dec 1, 2021

I have a submariner with a similar second hand lume dot. It overlaps the marker.

upload_2021-12-2_9-25-15.jpeg

jaguar11 likes this.
  9. jaguar11 Dec 1, 2021

I am not well up on the position of dots on second hands but nice insert on a nice Sub!

King.of.Kings likes this.
  10. igatomic Dec 3, 2021

I don't have any information to add, except a new entry in my WIS index to be aware of. :)