Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

I have a couple of the generic three prong case back openers for opening vintage Omega cases (as well as a trusty Stanley knife blade for snap back cases) but I now need one for opening Rolex Oyster cases.

I’ve been looking at the Burgeon and Errslinger versions but then came across this on eBay for a fraction of the price.

Has anyone used this before? It basically looks like a Burgeon rip off so I assume the quality isn’t particularly good.

What do you use for removing Rolex case backs?

Disclaimer - I know some people will say take it to a watchmaker. I like to be able to remove them myself to check movement condition/calibre etc as I buy most of my watches privately.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153990113754Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

72773C42-4BEB-445E-9B13-38542B707F40.png

Benbradstock and janice&fred like this.
  2. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

I use one with a press. More or less like this. I mount it in a bench vise, and sometimes I hold the watch in a regular watch holder with nylon pins instead of this holder. I've successfully used this watch holder without scratching the watch, but you definitely need to remove the bracelet so you can clamp it using the two surfaces between the lugs. I've also experimented with using thin leather to cushion the watch inside this holder.
    [​IMG]

watch3s, Duracuir1 and Davidt like this.
  3. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

Similar to this?

2A4ECFD9-A5BC-49E3-BD0D-24EC4571B19D.png

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  4. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

Yeah, I edited my post to add a photo and more detail. Mine might be L-G brand.

5. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

Ah posted at the same time. Thanks @Dan S

Looks like it’s the same model actually!

The press version on Cousins UK is only £10. Is about right - I was expecting it to be more expensive.

6. janice&fred Aug 2, 2020

I'm not into all that metal with presses and holders. The Bergeon style bits work fine but that T-handle I don't like as it's dangerously close to the watch. I prefer the long extension type thing with the big round turning knob that you can buy and snap the bits into. Hold the watch head in one hand, turn the caseback open with the other.

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

I can't believe that price is correct if it includes all those parts.

8. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

You're right. Prices for the individual components start at £10, the full kit is £90. Looks like a decent set up though.

@janice&fred is this the same as what you use or are you describing the handheld version like this?

ABFB0AC4-D48D-4C00-AF81-A6D8EF4B72A8.png

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  9. SkunkPrince Aug 2, 2020

You're braver than I am. I would be terrified of messing up a caseback. Who invented such a goofball system? (That's a rhetorical question.)

10. janice&fred Aug 2, 2020

Yep that's it in your picture. You will love it as you can really apply some safe torque and pressure at the same time.

Davidt likes this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 2, 2020

I have a Rolex Case back opener set that I have never used. It's yours if you want it. I'll send it out no charge.

ajn3323, Davidt and janice&fred like this.
  12. Davidt Aug 2, 2020

@blufinz52 thank you for the extremely kind offer. Unfortunately I'm in the UK (I seem to recall you're US?) which may be an issue at the minute but I'll send you a pm.

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. Canuck Aug 2, 2020

The best bet for Rolex and Tudor case backs. The Easy Oyster Opener. This tool is equipped with jigs to hold most Rolex and Oyster cases, as well as the proper “sockets”. Tend to be pricey.

812FA7B0-8B68-4D1E-8C61-0D0592723325.jpeg

Jerseyhammer, Davidt and Dan S like this.
  14. Canuck Aug 3, 2020

Removing the case back from a Rolex that has been properly tightened, using a ball of duct tape? Wow! Who knew? I been doing it wrong all these years! Wanna buy a Rolex Easy Oyster Opener?::screwloose::

Benbradstock, YY77 and blufinz52 like this.
  15. Jerseyhammer Aug 5, 2020

You might find that the dies aren’t an exact fit for vintage Rolex. Trust me I have the tee shirt. The Cusion options are worth a go

16. nicks Aug 8, 2020

Personal experience. The HEDAPAI only works well if the caseback is easy. The Bergeon is much much better quality.

I'm close to a watchmaker with Rolex propellers and the big machinery if need be.

Don't bother with the HEDAPAI. You won't regret spending the money on the Bergeon, especially if you can find one lightly used, like I did.

morningtundra likes this.
  17. southtexas Aug 9, 2020

Whoa that is extremely generous!!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 9, 2020

Rolex has the worst case back design...very easy to chew the serrations up if it slips. A proper stand style opener (preferably one that you can ensure that the die stays engaged through the use of a jam but) is the best way.

Pretty much anything will work if the case back isn’t tight, but when it is you need proper tools for the job.

19. wsfarrell Aug 9, 2020

Did you mean "jam nut"? And which case opener in your opinion is best for holding the case securely?

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 9, 2020

Not only did I mean it, I typed it as well...damn autocorrect.

I use a Bergeon 5700. The vast majority of times the friction dies I have will open watches, but on occasion they won't. When that happens, I use plastic between the case back and the two pronged opener, as you can see here:

5700.jpg

Note that the two pronged attachment I'm using here can be locked so those prongs to not move in the slots of the case back, and the red arrow points to the jam nut that holds the securely locked in place. The case back doesn't unscrew far because of the jam nut, but once it's broken loose, you can move the nut a bit and carry on unscrewing the case back.

Of course with a Rolex case back design, you can't really use plastic between the case back and the die like I have used here, so on those it's even more important to make sure the die can't slip and is held down firmly. I use Bergeon Rolex dies (they actually came with the 5700 when I bought it years ago), but they do work well. Of course making sure the case is held securely helps as well, but this vise in this unit does the job fine.

IMO anything that is just hand held is asking for trouble.

Cheers, Al

lindo likes this.