Forums Latest Members

Rolex Basel 2019 Releases - yawn

1. Riviera Paradise Mar 20, 2019

https://pressroom.rolex.com/en/baselworld/2019/new-oyster-models.html

What an incredibly boring set of releases from Rolex. No update to the Sub either?

RPR was spot on with the leaked info yesterday...so funny seeing the massive thread on Rolex Forums throwing hate at Philipp.:D

Well we all know there will still be wait lists for Rolex and that they evolve at a glacial pace, but it looks like they risk freezing to a standstill.

Omega in contrast are constantly striving to provide interesting new watches: SMP diver, Seamaster City Editions, Apollo 8 DSOTM, 321 re-launch, new Co-axial Metas 3861 Speedy. Not everyone's taste but no "bad / kitsch" releases recently and significantly more interesting than their main competitor.

If I think about all the new Omega love that Wei Koh is showing...heck even Ben Clymer yesterday was proudly wearing his new Speedy Apollo 11 50th Gold at pre-Basel...looks like Omega is gaining traction.

So far Breitling's 40mm 806 Navitimer re-issue with a new B09 hand wound movement and Citizen's new Eco drive 1s/yr quartz watches are the most interesting Basel releases.:)

Edited Mar 20, 2019
  2. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

Yes, I am quite disappointed ::censored:: was expecting a new Submariner steel as well. Their submariner line is completely ignored.

Not convinced about a Batman with Jubilee. This is the least bit of creativity: combining th already available new bracelet and movement with the also available bezel!

72BAD112-06F7-448C-A555-073E17322FF3.png
    Riviera Paradise likes this.
  3. Waxtactic Mar 20, 2019

So for the most part I tend to agree with you. A "sexy new look" and a new movement isn't all of a sudden going to propel the Yachtmaster into Submariner (or even 16570 Explorer) popularity. Is it esthetically pleasing to me, yeah, but am I going to shell out the money? No.

Also, a two tone Sea Dweller? Nope. Also please take the cyclops off the black dial, red labeled SeaDweller version. I liked it without it.

I will however say the new GMT seems solid. What seems like slimmer lugs, new caliber, new bezel, jubilee bracelet, it's overall very appeasing...if I had the budget ::popcorn::

siguzzi likes this.
  4. igloe Mar 20, 2019

I don’t agree totally. The Pepsi GMT is a huge success, so why shouldn’t the new Batman. And having a yacht master in white gold is also a great peace. Is it super innovative, I agree on this point, 100% NO.

Waxtactic likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2019

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Rolex phone it in quite as much as this year, two tone seadweller...

watch3s, 0uss, NeedForSpeed and 3 others like this.
  6. Jerseyhammer Mar 20, 2019

Agreed uninsperational and the Tudors

Riviera Paradise and turbo_muc like this.
  7. Waxtactic Mar 20, 2019

I was expecting a new Sub as well, but I guess they have to stretch it into next years release. Overall though, I mean, was anyone expecting Rolex to release some huge substantive item? It's always incremental updates with them. A tweak here, an updated caliber there is the norm from what I recall.

blufinz52 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  8. hbombkid Mar 20, 2019

Glad I am not in the market.

BLNR is ok but why get rid of the oyster just have both as options for bracelt.

I like the yacht master concept but can only afford a SS lol. I do wish they would just make a oysterflex option for all sport watches along with a bracelet

Waxtactic and Riviera Paradise like this.
  9. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

Well, sure Rolex is not making major changes and that’s fine. But e.g. a Submariner with a new bezel would have been fine - and expected by the community.

Waxtactic likes this.
  10. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

Options (I.e. consumer choice)???? Are you dreaming? That’s Rolex :cool:

In this case I am quite happy that there is no choice because it helps to keep the value of my Batman with Oyster :D

11. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

@ Sea Dweller: haha, yes, a deep sea diver in bicolour really is a tool watch :D i am sure non of these will ever come close to water at all :thumbsdown: think it’s undermining the credibility of the Sea Dweller line.

@ GMT: it’s just a combination of available parts: Pepsi 2018 case and movement combined with Batman bezel. Think the Pepsi bezel fits better to the Jubilee bracelet because the red color is not that sporty...

Waxtactic likes this.
  12. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

13. gostang9 Mar 20, 2019

Indeed. It's almost as if the new release planning committee decided to do nothing for 2019 (expecting global economic slowdown...), and during Nov/Dec US stock pull-back they were celebrating thinking they'd nailed it... then when the sudden market recovery happened they woke up and threw this sh*t together in the last few weeks...

To the moon and turbo_muc like this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 20, 2019

I love seeing the crap that they throw out in the market...

Just makes me happier with what I already have.

02722D76-583A-4DED-91F1-AB5698ECA3C2.jpeg

15. Riviera Paradise Mar 20, 2019

16. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

That is a decent collection ;)

Seems you like some vintage style scratches :D

17. turbo_muc Mar 20, 2019

18. Stufflers Mom Mar 20, 2019

I don't know why anyone bothers about Rolex these days, they just produce photos\marketing of shite that nobody can get hold of.

19. sdre Mar 20, 2019

Your wife ever rolls her eyes at your when you take such photos?

20. alam Mar 20, 2019

this just reinforces my desires to continue searching for Rolex models that have references of five or less digits...

:)

+1 :thumbsup: