Forums Latest Members

Rolex AD - positive experience

1. steveb73 Dec 20, 2019

I've read quite a few negative posts on different forums regarding Rolex Authorised Dealers all over the world. Last week I plucked up the courage to walk into Goldsmiths in Nottingham to enquire about a buckle for my mid 50s Tudor Oyster Royal that is currently being serviced.

I told the lady inside what I was looking for and she suggested I went to the other Goldsmiths store in the city as they sold Tudor and they'd be able to get me a buckle. I explained that I wanted a Rolex one as it would have had one originally, so she briefly spoke to a colleague and he said no problem! He gave Rolex a call to get a price, I was happy with it and paid and he placed the order.

That was just over a week ago. Yesterday he called and told me it had arrived so I went in and picked it up. I was asked if I'd be ok fitting it and I told them I was fine, but they said if I had any problems just bring it in and they'd do it for me.

I bought a 16mm stainless steel buckle and from what I'd read I was expecting them to either say no, be told I had to bring my watch in or even send my watch away for it to be fitted!!! None of those things happened and it was a completely normal experience. I was also expecting it to cost way more than it did.... It was only £60

_20191220_183103.JPG _20191220_182924.JPG

janice&fred likes this.
  2. LemansBoiler Dec 21, 2019

Not bad. Have you installed it yet?

3. steveb73 Dec 21, 2019

Not yet... I'm waiting for the watch to come back from a service.
    I was hoping to get it back before Christmas, but it looks like it's going to be January!

4. steveb73 Dec 21, 2019

I got it for this :

DSC_0509.JPG

5. Deltatango Dec 21, 2019

its good to hear a positive experience with an ad with all the stories floating around the forums

kkt likes this.
  6. Dan S Dec 21, 2019

The watch looks great and I'm glad you had a good experience. But you must admit it's ironic that we are now starting threads just to say that a store was actually willing to sell us something (this isn't the first one). "Rolex AD sold me a watch." "Rolex AD sold me a buckle." Just shows the depths to which the Rolex reputation has sunk as a retailer.

WatchCor, Walrus, southtexas and 8 others like this.
  7. steveb73 Dec 21, 2019

Thanks!
    You're completely right, it is ironic. These days, a large number of people will search the internet before they buy something regardless of value to check if they're getting the right thing and also to read reviews. You don't even need to be an "expert" to find posts in forums as they show up close to the top. When I searched for a Rolex 16mm stainless buckle all I found were posts about fakes on eBay and the difficulty/impossibility of getting one in a store...

I know Rolex have got some big waiting lists and also imminent price rises so they must be doing well, but eventually whenever someone searches for an item they're going to be reading posts that'll give them second thoughts. I certainly did and I'm sure I'm not the only one!!!

8. Gasman Dec 21, 2019

I bought a 16710 Pepsi but really wanted a coke so looked around on eBay and the like but ridiculous prices. Went into an AD who wouldn’t send it away, he said that if it was produced as a Pepsi that’s all I can have. I heard that the RSC in St.James London changed them so I contacted them and posted it in. It was returned a week later with the new bezel insert fitted and the old one in the package £55 all in.
    I am now also a proud owner of a green Rolex service pouch.

janice&fred, steveb73 and JohnLy like this.
  9. JohnLy Dec 22, 2019

Congrats, I wonder if that's the exception and not the norm.

10. kkt Dec 22, 2019

I'm happy your got your buckle okay. But I'm not going to give them a medal for supplying 1 pound worth of machined stainless steel for only 60 pounds.

11. steveb73 Dec 24, 2019

I know... It's crazy isn't it! I've actually tried not to think about spending £60 on stainless steel buckle!!! To be honest, the only Rolex items I'll own for the foreseeable future will be the buckle and crown on the watch. Everything else is far too expensive.

kkt likes this.
  12. base615 Dec 24, 2019

Now go back and try to buy a Pepsi GMT lol

steveb73 likes this.
  13. steveb73 Feb 20, 2020

Just to update this....
    Got the Tudor back from a service with Simon Freese last week, and he did a wonderful job on it!!!
    I've got some Horween Chromexcel Horse Butt so I decided to make my first strap.
    I learned a few things that I'd change next time, but generally I'm pretty pleased with it.
    The buckle finishes it perfectly!!!
    DSC_0855.JPG DSC_0856.JPG

pete91m, WatchCor, watch3s and 6 others like this.
  14. jankymutt Feb 26, 2020

Looks great!

15. steveb73 Feb 26, 2020

Thank you!!!

16. Ottsby Mar 6, 2020

Looks great. Well done!

steveb73 likes this.
  17. NYCwatchgal Mar 6, 2020

Rolex buckle (and story) is so nice!

When I had gone into the Rolex boutique on 5th Avenue in NYC, I asked them about leather straps and buckles for my OP34. They said they wouldn't/couldn't sell straps or buckles for the strap because the watch in its original state/design is a bracelet. I also wouldn't be able to order any part unless they saw the piece in hand.

steveb73 likes this.
  18. R.gee Mar 22, 2020

What a good thing to have had a positive experience with the AD! Lucky you.. enjoy

steveb73 likes this.
  19. steveb73 Mar 31, 2020

Thanks everyone and sorry for the later reply...

That's what I was worried about NYC.. The woman I spoke to at first was just going to send me somewhere else, but I managed to get chatting to the guy that orders things and he was fine about it!!! I was so pleased to get it as it just finishes the watch off.

Can't believe they wouldn't sell you them! Crazy they have to see the watch in hand.
    Have you managed to find anywhere else that would do it?

watch3s likes this.
  20. NYCwatchgal Mar 31, 2020

That's great that you were able to order the part without any issue!

I think perhaps an AD other than the flagship store on 5th Avenue may be less stringent? Seems like the case for you. Congrats!!

steveb73 likes this.