Forums Latest Members
  1. P.Greg Aug 12, 2019

Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a Rolex Datejust 1603 with a linen dial from 1972.

I would like to get your opinion about the general condition and shape of the watch.

According to the seller, the watch had a winder issue and has been repaired by Rolex which doesn't change any (original) parts when fixing the problem and the case wasn't polished.

I didn't saw the watch but the seller provides several pictures of the watch and the set (included in the sale).

Here are pictures : DSC_0772.JPG DSC_0773.JPG DSC_0806.JPG DSC_0807.JPG DSC_0803.JPG

What do you think of this watch ?
    Is there something unusual you see on those pictures ?

Thanks for your help

2. Dan S Aug 12, 2019

I don't see any red flags at first glance. Looks nice. Of course it would be useful to see the numbers between the lugs, the movement, and the inside of the caseback. Does the watch come with any actual papers specific to that particular watch (i.e. showing the serial number), or just those generic boxes and manuals?

P.Greg likes this.
  3. CoDiffe Aug 12, 2019

Love the linen dial DJs!

Is it for a good price?

4. P.Greg Aug 13, 2019

Thank you both for your feedback

Indeed, It can be interesting to see the reference and te serial number between the lugs. I’ve planned to check before buying it.
    For the movement and the inside of the caseback, it will be more difficult as the seller is not a professional and don’t have tools to open it.
    The seller states that it’s a full set except punched paper

Regarding the price, this is not the cheapest 1603 I’ve seen (around 4K $) but the watch and the bracelet look to be in a very good shape and the « full set » is quite rare. Finally, the linen dial made me crazy.

Is there some specific things (except the reference between lugs) that I’ve to check before buying it ?

Thanks

5. guaranteed.rohu Aug 13, 2019

Good to be sure when you're paying not small sums of money - the seller should be able to take it to any watchmaker and for $5 or $10 they'll open the caseback up for you on the spot, to take a photo of the movement to send you (sometimes they'll do it for free tbh).

As others have said, looks pretty decent. Worth checking the ref # on the clasp to and google if it's the correct for it's year/model. Looks to be, and tbh it's not a big deal anyway if it's not EXACTLY correct unless you're being super anal about collecting. Good Luck!

6. P.Greg Aug 13, 2019

Thank you for your message and you remarks.

I’ve asked the seller to provide me pictures.
    As expected, he told me that he has never open the caseback and he didn’t have pictures of reference on the clasp.

Nevertheless, he provides me the serial number (3000***) which seems to match with the year of the watch.

I suggest him to go to the AD to ask them to open it.

Will see if he can go and ask.