Forums Latest Members

Rolex 1225 movement question

1. Hurley Sep 11, 2019

hi folks. Quick question: I have a Rolex 1225 movement that appears to be fitted with a clutch to prevent overwinding (I use clutch as a shorthand -- I know how it works). How weird or typical is that? Not much experience of these modern manual wind movements -- circa 1970. Thanks! Hurley

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2019

I'm assuming you say this because there is no hard stop when winding it? If so, you more than likely have a watch with a broken mainspring, or possibly an incorrectly fitted automatic mainspring.

Note that if the mainspring is broken at the end that is out at the barrel wall, the watch may run for close to it's normal power reserve, and in fact run quite well. If it breaks near the barrel arbor, the watch stops running completely.

Cheers, Al

3. Hurley Sep 11, 2019

4. Hurley Sep 11, 2019

Yes, no hard stop! Just the familiar whooshing noise..... I had been researching the interchangeability of mainsprings guessing that might be the issue. The simpler solution never occurred to me! I've always had mainsprings break at the other end. It has nearly the full power reserve. Any reason to fix it in either case? Thank you so much! I always get good answers here. All the best, Hurley