Forums Latest Members

Roland Ranfft (and database) news

1. Dan S Aug 24, 2023

Doubly sad news for the vintage watch world. According to a member on watchuseek, Roland Ranfft passed away earlier this year. I have noticed that his database/archive of movements had been down intermittently in recently months, but now it seems to be gone entirely.

I didn't know him well, but always enjoyed his slightly salty contributions on WUS, and the archive of watch movements that he created was just incredible, and irreplaceable. It was truly a major accomplishment, and something I used almost daily to identify movements and find details about various calibers.

jjen, YYTIN, JayBe and 25 others like this.
  2. josiahg52 Aug 24, 2023

Maybe it can be found and hosted in perpetuity like ChronoMaddox.

Syrte and Mark020 like this.
  3. YY77 Aug 24, 2023

March to be exact;

upload_2023-8-24_14-51-40.png

McKnife, tamura and Mark020 like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 24, 2023

That is both sad and unfortunate news.

His site was invaluable to neophytes like me. It represented a tremendous amount of work to create. It's long been saved as a favorite on my desktop.

pdxleaf, Foo2rama and Spruce like this.
  5. Dan S Aug 24, 2023

So it's true. May his memory be a blessing to his family and friends.

6. HamDoctor Aug 24, 2023

Truely a huge loss for the vintage scene. The website with the database has been really slow over the last few days, which may indicate someone scraping off the data ... I really hope that the database will turn up in another place in the future.

As it stands, I will have to send a contribution to the Wayback Machine Internet Archive (https://archive.org/), since this service can still be used to access the information. Not in a convenient way, but still ...

noelekal likes this.
  7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Aug 24, 2023

Huge loss. Extremely handy website. RIP

8. bubba48 Aug 24, 2023

R.I.P.

A great loss for watch enthusiasts

Tony C. likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2023

We could probably assist if needed hosting wise, would need a contact to talk to though to get permission and facilitate it.

DaveK, watchcollect, Dash1 and 17 others like this.
  10. bubba48 Aug 24, 2023

Dr No, nitediver, Tony C. and 4 others like this.
  11. RevZMan123 Aug 24, 2023

His name will be forever in the minds of watch nerds everywhere. What a huge loss of a person and wealth of knowledge.

wagudc likes this.
  12. JimJupiter Aug 24, 2023

At German Uhrforum some guys try to investigate on that, cause Roland Ranfft wasnt at home at this place. Maybe its another Roland, I hope it is!

13. HamDoctor Aug 24, 2023

The fact that the website is offline since yesterday (and was running slower and slower over the last few weeks) appears to contradict this, but we can always hope.

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 24, 2023

Such a loss.

As others have noted his site was such and amazing reference tool, I was just there earlier in the week.

:(

15. sheepdoll Aug 24, 2023

I keep the link in a tab next to this one. I use it weekly if not daily. Was my favorite rabbit hole. I still have a few movements I have not fully researched. Would be a terrible loss ...

Noticed that it is not working today. At least I have a bestfit pdf, but that is hard to search. And the copyright on that was clawed back.

I have been helping someone archive a music roll library. There was a chance I had a roll (mostly Funeral music.) they wanted me to scan. I asked them why? Said they wanted to preserve everything for future generations. They think such things will last forever. But that is not how preservation works.

There was a really great piano roll site 20 years ago. I think the guy died about 5 or so years back. No one could get into the database or the email group lists to add or delete members. That faded away with the rest of the Yahoo eGroups. I think the site was scraped and runs under a different host now without the mailing list. This sort of thing happens a lot. Especially when the focus is on selling soap. There are also huge collectors of copyrights who actively go after things. That site limited itself the music before a certain date in the 1920s. I think some of that is automated, so at the first of the year it releases more PD music.

Apple dropped the internal support for MIDI from Quicktime and iTunes. A lot of power has not forgotten what Napster did. The argument if the work is not paid for it will go away. Will be interesting how the writer/actor strike pans out. You tube shows there are many who would create their own alternative content. Most content is tightly controlled.

Looks like the net is heading in that direction where every thing is placed behind paywalled gardens. Subscription services may become the norm. Although hidden information available to a few may be more valued than information available to anyone.

Still I am an optimist and think things will work out in the long run.

Mark020 and RevZMan123 like this.
  16. Dan S Aug 24, 2023

The site that Luigi posted has scraped the data from Roland's archive, so at least the data are there, if not the full searching capability by various fields.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2023

Now that site is no longer working.

Here is direct link to the Internet Archive mirror site:

https://web.archive.org/web/2023030...fft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk

Unfortunately, the search feature no longer works.

My condolences to his family and friends. :oops:
    gatorcpa

18. BLOW UP Aug 24, 2023

That's very sad to hear.. his site was a fantastic resource, I also wrote to him a few times and he was very helpful..

19. sheepdoll Aug 24, 2023

20. BLOW UP Aug 24, 2023