Forums Latest Members
  1. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 15, 2018

Edited Jan 15, 2018
  2. qboa Jan 15, 2018

I also love the vintage one much more

3. DG GW Jan 15, 2018

Omega will restore a watch and you fake ages lumes. Why?

4. 77deluxe Jan 15, 2018

The case, ouch!

5. michael e Still learning. Jan 16, 2018

I wouldn't go that far.
    This is still a lovely watch with a one off Omega dial.
    Not ideal that they brushed/polished the case but that is what the customer requested.
    I see IWC MK11s like this all the time that have been restored by IWC themselves and I wouldn't say the watch is dead, just restored by the factory. I would prefer it if the watch was untouched but the restoration is reflected in the price.
    Cheers, Michael

Edited Jan 16, 2018
  6. Cuttysark Jan 16, 2018

Mammamia!! :eek:

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 16, 2018

well you are correct...its a beauty and all authentic at least. But there is no appeal to me. The combo of the refinished case, new bezel, perfect new dial and flawless handset ruins this for me. But im sure someone will find this appealing, especially at the price. It might also be the photos...they are too good and make it look almost fake :)

Edited Jan 16, 2018
    Baz9614 likes this.
  8. michael e Still learning. Jan 16, 2018

Its not that much different to the Omega 53 thin arrows that Omega did the same thing to in the 1990s , but people seem to covert them.
    In fact I am not seeing much difference at all to be honest.
    Cheers, Michael.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-military-53-thin-arrow-bienne.36712/

9. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 16, 2018

Because it would look very odd with a new handset without aged lume. I'll say this, as far as restored watches go, this looks great. Its just I prefer to keep the vintage in my vintage. Its like the the aging beauty queen that had a complete face and boob job. Looks good until you see her drivers license and realize she's as old as your mom.

mikechi22 and Baz9614 like this.
  10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 16, 2018

As the seller has said "This watch has undergone a full restoration in late November this year by Omega at a cost of £1284, The watch was serviced and the case was restored, the dial was replaced with an Omega manufactured dial which has sunken plots and is thick like the original, the old dial is not included as I believe it was beyond repair."

Without seeing the "before" condition, there is no real way of knowing whether it was pretty much a basket case or a collectors grail. In any event, it is what it is now and the market will judge whether the sellers/Omega's restoration was the way to go (financially).

Foo2rama and CajunTiger like this.
  11. michael e Still learning. Jan 16, 2018

I did not touch the lume, this is how it came back from Omega, Omega themselves aged the lume not me.

Thanks, Michael

12. michael e Still learning. Jan 16, 2018

Hi.
    It wasn't my decision to get the watch restored, I bought the watch off the person that had it restored.

Also the bezel is not new as mentioned by another member :thumbsup:
    Cheers, Michael

13. Steve1haggart Jan 16, 2018

In todays market given what we have seen with Ranchero's hitting almost 10k ,this is well priced and i don't think it will site round for long and it is all genuine omega parts thats a plus for the new buyer.

CajunTiger likes this.
  14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 16, 2018

I see that now...just heavily polished. Ironically, thats what drew me to the auction. I was searching for an old worn-out Railmaster just for the bezel. I have a new bezel, but it just looks out of place on a 70 year old watch. I was looking for one that has character...scratches, dents and dings and stumbled on your listing during the search.
    Had I realized it was yours I wouldn't have posted my snarky comments :) Nothing at all wrong with this example, its actually quite well done and all original. Its just not my style.

Agreed...great price. Ranchero's hitting 10k and Seamasters asking 29kPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network...yikes. This is a great deal for someone.

RawArcher likes this.
  15. michael e Still learning. Jan 16, 2018

@CajunTiger.

Not to worry, has mentioned before I welcome all comments on my listings good or bad, and you have every right to do so, its a free forum and I enjoy the discussion.
    I have sold probably a dozen of these PAF Railmasters both 2914 and 135.004s, these were mostly original warts and all, more expensive than this one when I sold them in 2016 but if I had them today I would be asking £12k plus for them.
    At the end of the day the watch is what it is, the owner was probably a bit naive sending it to the manufacturer for a complete overall but I still love this one, its shiny yes but also unique with that dial on it.

A new bezel can be made to look older with a few knocks and scratches with some course sandpaper I am sure :D

Cheers, Michael

16. Walkerwek1958 Jan 24, 2018

That’s how it looked when new, I don’t see a problem with that. People get all misty eyed over patina etc but the watches were never intended to look that way. I prefer a well restored / refinished watch to a scruffy original, and provided the owner’s happy that’s how I restore them.

This one does look a bit sharp, possibly the effects of the photo, but in the flesh I think it’ll be nice.

I’m lucky to have a few vintage Omegas in excellent original condition, but I also have a few that I’ve refinished and had the scruffy dials refinished too. I like them all equally and I don’t get too hung over over minor discrepancies with the refished dials versus original. Best not to get too anal about these things.

Paul

Edited Jan 24, 2018
    OmegaRookie and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 24, 2018

Hi Paul, didn't realise you were active over here. While I see this viewpoint, there are already several modern options for the Railmaster look so it seems a shame to butcher an original this way. Of course if it really was trashed before then this may be preferable but who knows.

18. michael e Still learning. Jan 24, 2018

I have asked the previous owner about the dial, he said it didn't have one before restoration which makes sense when I think about it, Omega usually send service parts back so I believe him, now if it was a Rolex restoration I would believe that they would have kept the dial.
    I wouldn't call the watch butchered, that seems very harsh, I think Omega did the best they could. The replacement dial and hands are perfect, if teamed with a scratched and dinged up case it might have looked a little odd.
    Cheers, Michael

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 24, 2018

Butchered was perhaps too strong a word, as you suggest anything is preferable to a missing or destroyed dial and a mismatched refurb would have looked a little odd I suppose. Ignoring its history, it looks good but it would have looked better still with a modicum of originality retained IMO, I mean it doesn't even say Railmaster any more. It isn't the look I object to, I rather like it and have a modern Railmaster A-T myself.

20. michael e Still learning. Jan 24, 2018

The PAF Railmaster never did say Railmaster, for some reason the PAF didn't like the word Railmaster on the dial so all PAF Railmaster have Seamaster on the dial. (strange I know) If you can find one for sale these days, you can bet that they are all "price on request" roughly translated means obscene price. Even though it is a new dial it is still probably unique/one off.

Cheers, Michael

CajunTiger and padders like this.