Forums Latest Members

Review and pics of the Rolex Daytona 500 116500LN Ceramic

1. wayneG May 22, 2016

Yesterday I posted a VLOG and Unboxing of my new Daytona, and I really appreciate all the great comments and responses. Today, I've been crafting a review and taking photos of the watch.

I can't believe how nice it is in the metal. Pictures will never do something like this justice (although I've give it my best shot! :icon_biggrin:) due to the lustre of the metal and the way it just catches the light with the ceramic bezel. The bezel seems to flip from light grey to deep black depending on the available light. I love it!

_DSC4278.jpg
    _DSC4354.jpg

_DSC4361.jpg

_DSC4366.jpg

_DSC4403.jpg

_DSC4410.jpg

The video review is at the following YouTube link and also contains more pics...

[VIDEO]

Optimizer13, x3no and sky21 like this.
  2. billyblue May 23, 2016

Have you been so excited you forgot to take the plastic foils off before the shooting? Do you keep it?

(Is it just advertising?)

3. wayneG May 23, 2016

Clearly you haven't watched my review, where I explain why they're still on :)

4. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" May 23, 2016

Awesome pictures. It's a great looking watch, congratulations!:thumbsup:

5. wayneG May 23, 2016

6. gostang9 May 23, 2016

Hi, thanks for sharing. Some of your close-up videos give me a better idea if how this piece looks in real life then I've had before. I'm not planning to go after this piece myself, but your detailed and thorough review gave me better insight.

One comment: you obviously want to build a big following based on the fact you make and post these videos. Please, find a watt shorten them. 22 minutes is far too long for a review of only one watch. I realize you go through many different aspects of the watch:
    - aesthetics,
    - purchase
    - ceramic vs steel
    - chrono function
    - water resistance
    - 5 yr warranty
    - dealer removing stickers and keeping warranty card

I found several of these interesting as I've not heard or seen all of them discussed in such detail before, but I highly doubt most people would have the patience to stick through all of it as I did. If you really want to include it all, please break the overall review into multiple short segments (perhaps in the categories I showed above) and let the viewers choose which 2 to 3 minute segment they wan to watch.

This could give you multiple benefits:
    - 1. Drive your editing and scripting process to capture only the most important points and avoid unnecessary rambling
    - 2. Allow viewers the option of tailoring their experience to the points of most interest to them
    - 3. Give you additional videos (opportunity to get views) and each will be likely to get a greater number of views as users won't be scared off by the long length
    - 4. You'll get better feedback as to which aspect of your reviews actually get views thereby helping you with market research to better tailor future reviews and improve the number of followers.

Cheers and again thanks for sharing!

7. Linzer May 23, 2016

Congrats on your new Daytona and thanks for posting. Great review and watch!

8. adrienbelanger May 23, 2016

Very interesting about the authorised dealers holding warranty cards. I've seen this sort of thing happen in the art world, where galleries try to prevent their customers from selling works at auction and making an instant profit. Galleries have been known to "black list" clients who do this, though with watches it would be much more difficult to keep tabs on as one would have to track the serial numbers...

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 23, 2016

If I pay 12 g ( or 1g for that matter) for a watch and they "held" the warranty card at the store I send them to hell and leave the watch on the counter. It's my money, my watch, and they have no say as to what I do with it once I pay for it.

There's no "pledge to Rolex" that I know of.

Edited May 23, 2016
    watchme likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2016

Friend of mine was blacklisted by Patek after flipping a highly sought after model, and made the mistake of showing the serial number in the advertisement. It wasn't permanent though - he spent a couple of years in the penalty box, and was back buying more sought after models soon enough. I doubt this happens for brands at the level of Rolex though...

The video...TL;DW so I don't know the specifics of what the deal is with holding the warranty card, but if they tried that with me I would just walk out.

I actually didn't think this watch was released yet. I have seen one for sale where someone has put a ceramic bezel on the previous model...trying to capitalize on people's willingness to spend silly money on these while they are hot.

Cheers, Al

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 23, 2016

A few of them are out already. Ben and John Mayer have theirs and wrote up about it on Hodinkee

12. billyblue May 23, 2016

Now that I have watched the whole video...I know that you are wearing the watch with the stickers on...and still am a bit confused why you would want to do that. Are you saying in the end that somebody has to offer you a lot of money for the watch for you to part with it? I'll end it here.

Congratulation, I also like the watch very much, maybe in some time when all the buzz is over I'll jump on the white dial.

And I liked the video very much, sometimes the video jumps where you cut it, but very nice overall. What I also like (contrary to some folks here) is the length and you really let the viewer get a feel for the watch (e.g. the clasp mechanism or the pushers for the chronograph) anf going into more detail. Ariel Adams' videos for example are sometime lacking many necessary information. Thank you very much for your effort.

13. kurtj29 May 23, 2016

Wow, first black dial I have seen. Most people seem to like the white dial. I have not seen the watch in the flesh but like the black dial. I actually like what the AD's are doing here. (Don't like the fact that Rolex limiting supply) The AD's are trying to be fair since Rolex is restricting supply. If I was an AD and only got 2 or 3 watches this year, I would want to make sure they go to customers that really want them rather than flippers. The AD's are under no obligation to randomly sell their inventory to whoever walks in the door especially since most AD's seem to have a multi-year waiting list. Probably not a popular opinion.

14. Deckard81 May 23, 2016

Cheers Wayne. I'm going to start bothering you on this forum too now... Sure you don't want a snoopy for your Daytona? Or cash? Or my eldest? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. wayneG May 23, 2016

Thanks for the replies, and Gostang, you beat me to it tbh. Whilst editing a shorter, more focused video, I saw your response and had to laugh :-D I don't know if it will fulfil your requirements but I appreciate your help anyhow, and seeing your comment did make me cut some things out to make it as short as possible, whilst hopefully retaining a decent amount of info on the new watch.

So, for a shorter and more focused video on the Rolex Daytona 500, see below:

[VIDEO]

sky21 likes this.
  16. sky21 May 23, 2016

Thanks Wayne, a much more focused review of the watch itself and the small details that set it apart from its predecessor. Very nice.

17. gostang9 May 23, 2016

@wayneG, please don't misunderstand me, I found a lot of the material interesting and wasn't proposing you entirely remove much of it. I think it would be nice if you had multiple short versions focused on individual topics so viewers could choose which to watch.

All in all, it was well done and gave me a lot of good information I wasn't aware of.

Cheers!

18. wayneG May 23, 2016

Thanks, glad it was of good use :)

I think the shorts could work as an idea, but I don't know if I could discuss about a watch case for long enough. Short videos could just end ups in the mass of other videos out there, and creating thumbnails for each, plus putting keywords in, intros, outros, text labels etc would be very convoluted. I will consider it though as perhaps I'm not seeing the bigger picture.