Forums Latest Members
  1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 20, 2016

Just curious
    Would you purchase a watch that has inscriptions on the case back? here's one I purchased. Normally I steer clear of these but this one just caught my eye. Fred worked 25 years for that watch. Back then SS Kresge was a 5 and 10 cent store that later became Kmart

fred.jpg
    Edited Jun 20, 2016
    Northernman likes this.
  2. Brandon_Dexter Jun 20, 2016

Heck yes. That is the ultimate patina in my opinion. It's a story you can trace, to a time hard work and dedication was appreciated.

Rather that than buy one with a dial that I had to change because it had a company logo on it.

Exception may be is if it was somebody's wedding watch and it ended in divorce or some other type of bad Karma thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchknut, Northernman and Foo2rama like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2016

If it is a good watch, yes

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 20, 2016

Pic of the obverse please :)

5. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 20, 2016

Inscriptions confirms parts of the watch history. Collecting vintage is to me much about learning the historical background. Normally it is close to impossible to find out much. You may be able to get some sorts of extract from the manufacturer, but an inscription often tell much more.

6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 20, 2016

OK
    Fred (14k case) is on the left in the picture which a bad redial I am going to swap dial with the watch on the right I need a longer sweep hand maybe in a day or so I can pick one up

fred1.jpg
    blufinz52 likes this.
  7. cimo Jun 20, 2016

Very much so. I have three, all with inscriptions. Two are retirement watches with date and years of service on the back. Even though I have no personal connection to these previous owners, I do not mind it at all.

8. leetse2 Jun 20, 2016

I like the added history. I think many of are curious of the history of some of our vintage piece and having that personalized inscription helps to tell the story of the start of the life of the watch. Pretty cool in my opinion.

9. Euxinus Jun 21, 2016

I am personally not a fan of inscriptions, and I have yet to see a watch with one that I would buy.

10. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 21, 2016

1958 Constellation 2852 from seller in Switzerland. Bought in 2013 with the help of OF member MSNWatch.
    The V.S.S.F, I think stands for "Verband Schweizerischer Sprengfachleute"
    or "Swiss Society of Explosive Engineers". I'm guessing, from the light use, it
    was a presentation watch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

watchknut, MikiJ, fjf and 3 others like this.
  11. Maybe Jun 27, 2016

I would like JFK's watch from Marilyn...

Edited Jun 27, 2016
    voere, tpatta, OMGRLX and 1 other person like this.
  12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 27, 2016

I'm afraid there's something else that i would have enjoyed more than Marilyn's watch ;)

watchknut, OMGRLX and Maybe like this.
  13. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 27, 2016

JFK's Omega watch? ;)

MikiJ likes this.
  14. alam Jun 27, 2016

No.

+1, we must be a rare breed... :)

15. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 27, 2016

I love inscriptions on the back of a watch, as it allows me to research the piece and put it with a person, place and time. This comes from my collecting antique American and English silver and armorial export porcelain-the history is part of what drives me in seeking these objects.

One of the things that bums me out about watches is not being able to place a majority of them in their appropriate historical contexts.

I am also a sucker for killer engraving, it is an art form that is quickly being lost.

voere and ahartfie like this.
  16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 27, 2016

Sure if she wants to throw that in :)