Forums Latest Members

Restoring old bikes kind of !!!!!!!!!

1. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Lads,
    I am not a restorer of watches, the movements are to delicate/small for my old sausages.

but I do love quality engineering, that is why I have always promised myself an Omega, not to ostentatious but exudes engineering excellence.

Please see my post thread in vintage Omega Titled Newbie.

My passion other than football is motor Bikes, I take basket case bikes that have been unloved for several years and change them into a modern version of the original.

The bike below is one in question I bought this bike in bits put it back together to see if she runs then I embarked on a 18 month journey turning her into a newer version of the original and in the process improving on the 70s handling and performance, not to mention the aesthetics and a complete strip and rebuild of the motor.

[​IMG]

2. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Into this, I would hope that the members who appreciate quality engineering can appreciate my efforts.

[​IMG]

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2014

XS650?

4. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Jim,
    Yes an north American import into the UK, I got it of a bloke who bought it from an importers then stripped it with the intentions of turning it into a Bobber/Chopper,

He stripped it then lost interest, I got it and created this little beaut :cool:

Leslie

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2014

Wow, just saw your next pic, nice beast.

So it looks like you took a bike, and then kept the frame and the donk, and added GOODIES ::jumpy::

6. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

You bet hope you like it

leslie

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2014

:thumbsup:

Looks perfect for a Sunday blat on some nice twisties :D

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 14, 2014

Barking Mad! Thats a beautiful bike! I always loved the XS1 motor and they do make the nicest flat trackers.

Those motors are truly built to last, Yamaha bought out another bike company called Hosk in the sixties, until then Yammy had built two strokes, Hosk got them the four stroke technology without the long learning curve. The XS1/TX650/XS650 was the first result of that union.

I once tore down a 650 for a friend, he'd lost compression in one cylinder and wanted to know why. I've never seen anything as over engineered as that 650 is inside. The problem was that the wrist pin had seized on one of the pistons, causing the piston to rock which in turn ruined his rings. The entire inside of the engine was black, like it was painted that way. Trying to explain the weird black coating I asked him how often he had changed the oil. He said he hadn't......... ever....... from new.

The bike had just a touch over 100,000km on it and the motor had never been serviced! NOTHING! My /2 BMW couldn't have done that, or my Triumph or any of the other "superior" European stuff I've had.

And my Kawasaki couldn't make it around the block without something going wrong. (service time sir, yes sir, that'll be oil, filter and new cams & followers please)

Did I say: lovely Yammy!?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2014

They were great bikes, after my lovely green/white 650 I went old school with an SR500, beautiful black with gold trim.

It was a bitch to kick over on a cold morning, even with the de-compression lever .

Even after BMWK100, Honda CB750 etc I still think the SR500 was my favorite bike. You really knew you were riding it ::jumpy::

(I think that smiley says it all)

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 14, 2014

You did a pretty neat job there.......:thumbsup:

11. Hotwheelbill Jun 14, 2014

Nice! I like the new foot peg location and the dual disc. Just trying to imagine the sound.

12. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Jim,
    been to Lincoln today but tomorrow it is 2 stroke day at Chesterfield Motorcycles in Clay Cross Derbyshire.

Hundreds turn up every year, every type of 2 stroke you can imagine, I own a 1976 Yamaha RD400c but she is in bits at the moment I am rebuilding her to standard.

Have a look on the internet at the Clay Cross 2 stroke day web page

Leslie

13. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Hotwheel,
    I have been meaning to video her for the XS650 forum, she sounds a bit like a old Triumph

I will let you know on this post the you tube link.

leslie

14. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Thanks Private

15. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Hotwheel,
    I have built her not for a top speed but handling/cornering, 199 R6 front forks with Ohlin's progressive internal springs and the R6 callipers and on the rear I have fitted Japanese Redwing hammerhead twin shocks they I sourced a set of new ones from America.

This made the handling a lot better for back road blasts although she was a bit squirrely so I got rid of the tubular swing arm and adapted a modern ali monoshock swing to fit the XS.

Boy did this change the characteristic's of the cornering, as we say in the UK she now corners on Rails :thumbsup:

next proper tyres Avon Distanza get job done

The coppers her in the UK have took a dislike to superbike owners/riders and have been waging a war against bikers in general, all in the name of safety YEAH RIGHT ::rant:

More likely they know that bike owners are cash cows for motoring fines, I know that the coppers have a hard job, but there is a lot more serious things going of in this fair land, and bikers are an easy target the F****ng useless robbing bent B**t**ds that's the coppers of course.

Leslie

16. Hotwheelbill Jun 14, 2014

Thanks , the link would be nice.

Sounds like they would rather see all the fun left at the Isle of Man.

17. Mothra Jun 14, 2014

Leslie, finished result looks brilliant. Mine was less ambitious, but I turned this:

IMG_5282.jpg

Into this:
    IMG_7449.jpg

It was knackered beforehand...

SpikiSpikester and Event horizon like this.
  18. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

Mothra,
    Luvely I like the colour and I bet the kwaka engine sounds sweet as

Leslie

19. Mancity1956 Jun 14, 2014

That colour reminds me of the beast they used to make the Z900/1000,,what a bike that was :)

Leslie

20. repoman Jun 14, 2014

That's a beautiful restoration - I love the dirt tracker look you achieved.