Forums Latest Members
  1. KevinΩ Nov 22, 2016

Hi all,

First of all, this is my fist post and my fist day on this forum. I was hoping you guys could help me out with my problem.

English is not my native language, but I will try and do my best to explain my current situation.

My grandfather died when I was about 7 years old. A year after that my grandma gave me my grandfathers watch, because I simply asked her for it. At that age I was demolishing everything I could get my hands on, to see what's inside and how it works.

I wrecked it completely and after years I started to get fascinated by watches. It wasn't untill I stumbled across some Omega models, when I realised the mistake I had made as a young kid. I talked to my mother about it and she said she was in tears when I took the watch apart. She just realized it was me beeing curious and she couldn't get mad at me for it.

She told me she kept some of the pieces that I took apart and she showed me what was left. It turned out she saved the movement and when I picked it up, it started running again.

Now that I got the old movement from my mother, I want to try and fix this watch for myself, my mother and my grandfather. Do you think this is achievable and will it cost me a lot of money? (I'm a 23 y/o student). What parts do I have to buy to make this watch whole again? And what is the best place to buy them?

Also, does someone know what kind of Omega this watch is? I cant seem to find information about it.

20161029_064035.jpg 20161029_064047.jpg 20161029_064058.jpg

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2016

Very sorry to have to tell you that the watch is a fake, not an Omega. It can not realistically be fixed.

KevinΩ likes this.
  3. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Nov 22, 2016

I am very sorry to say that this is not a real Omega.

KevinΩ likes this.
  4. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 22, 2016

Look up "Omega Logo" and compare your dial to those other photos. You'll see several differences in the construction of the text and logo. Hope this doesn't hurt!!!!

Best,

Thomas

KevinΩ likes this.
  5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 22, 2016

The logo is the least of its worries.

MPWATCH and KevinΩ like this.
  6. KevinΩ Nov 22, 2016

Wow, that's sad to hear. My grandmother once told me he got it as a gift. Too bad it's a fake. Is there no way to restore this? Even though it's a fake? It's of great value to me and my family and I am willing to buy original parts, just to use this fake movement.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2016

The only way to fix it is to find a similar fake watch. We can not help you with that.

KevinΩ likes this.
  8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 22, 2016

Very obvious to someone active in the wrist watch market, but for someone who has just stumbled upon a piece I personally think the logo is the best place to start.

Best,

Thomas

KevinΩ likes this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 22, 2016

The fact that the movement makes no mention of Omega, would seem to me to be more obvious to a novice.

KevinΩ, MPWATCH and Archer like this.
  10. François Pépin Nov 23, 2016

Total fake for sure as others said.

If you really want to get it work again, you have to indentify the movement to find parts - or let a watchmaker find that for you. But most watchmakers would not accept such a job. And it is unsure it is even possible to do.

By the way, in many countries, it is against the law to wear, sell or ship such a fake watch.

Maybe it would be better to just keep it as is as a familly reminder.

KevinΩ likes this.
  11. Sanmilc Nov 23, 2016

I understand it has value for you, what you can do is take it to a watchmaker and hopefully it has a very standard movement (ETA for example), if so there will be parts available for the watch movement and there will be a case for it.

The bad news is that will cost you some money, money that you will never recover because it just has value for you, so there is a personal decision you should make.

Do it by yourself sounds difficult to achieved without experience, your best shot is that a watchmaker will have used parts that could be used to create a new watch.

KevinΩ likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 23, 2016

The "Omega" stamp is still there, but most of it has rubbed off :D.

And to the OP @KevinΩ, the dial and movement are now horological rubbish and worth nothing of monetary value.

So just put it away in a memento container so that you can look at it now and again and remember your watchmaking attempts when you were seven, and also remember your grandfather who may have just bought the watch because he liked it.

Cheers

Jim.

PS: I disassembled our alarm clock when I was very young (maybe 10 years old) but could never get it to work again, much to my Dad's displeasure.

KevinΩ and wsfarrell like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2016

I would buy a real vintage Omega and tell your mother you got it fixed ;)

Something like this will set you back about $400 ( i paid $400 )
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

cicindela, KevinΩ and Tubber like this.
  14. RyMoeller Nov 23, 2016

Yeah, I'm a bit on the fence with this one. Were it my watch, handed down from my beloved grandfather, the fact that it's not genuine wouldn't really be a great concern. I might go so far as to get the real deal and swap out the movement and dial with my grandfather's (which it should be noted wouldn't be a guaranteed fit) or more likely, I'd take what I have to my watchmaker and see if he can find a case that would fit it.

Knowing my grandfather, he'd would have been a bit ticked off had he found out his watch was a counterfeit. I wouldn't bother telling the family though. ;)

KevinΩ likes this.
  15. kkt Nov 23, 2016

On the plus side, perhaps you'll be glad to know that you didn't disassemble anything of great value when you took it apart.

Maybe remember your grandfather by buying a similar vintage real Omega. Remember to budget $500 to $800 for service at a watchmaker when you buy it if its service history is unknown or not recent, and every 5 years or so after that.

KevinΩ likes this.
  16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 23, 2016

I didn't have a rubber stamp in mind.

KevinΩ likes this.
  17. KevinΩ Nov 25, 2016

Okay, I will bring it to a watch maker to get it fitted in an apropriate case. If that doesn't work out, I will teach myself some measuring and will figure out what size I need myself.

Thank you for all your awnsers!

18. KevinΩ Dec 4, 2016

I want to thank you all for your awnsers. I managed to find out what kind of movement it had. Turned out to be a lorsa 238 movement with a 31mm dial. I managed to find myself a lorsa 238 with 31mm dial in Luxembourg. I fitted my grandfathers movement inside and it works like a charm. I thought it would be Nice to let you guys know. 20161203_154042.jpg IMG-20161203-WA0012.jpeg IMG-20161202-WA0011.jpg

RyMoeller likes this.
  19. Majork Dec 4, 2016

Enjoy wearing it. I'm happy for you being able to fix it.
    Sentimental value can not be measured in hard currency.

I'd still recommend buying a nice genuine piece though, as you have stumbled upon this great forum already.
    There are plenty of similar looking Omegas out there - the quality difference will probably hit you hard though :)

KevinΩ likes this.