Forums Latest Members
  1. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to get some advice regarding servicing/restoring my Speedmaster. I believe this to be the 321 calibre which I'm learning is somewhat rare and sought after. You can see from the pic that it's not in the best of condition at the moment. I'm considering having work done on it by Omega at the Bienne center. My question is primarily whether I should have the bezel, dial, & hands replaced in addition to the movement being serviced or will that somehow hurt the value because they are no longer original or 'vintage' ? Also I see a few on Ebay but the asking prices vary by several thousand dollars. Basically I don't know much about what I've got (watch was a gift years ago from a dying relative) so any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks. Bill
    IMAG0198a.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

Might be worth getting a picture of the inside of the caseback. The bezel looks cool, its a dot above 90 so its likely an original one, its filthy and covered in grime but cleaning would probably get it looking rather nice. The dial doesn't have the applied metal Omega logo that all Cal 321s have, and the chrono seconds hand is the later style one, could have been replaced in an early service, or it could be a '69 and not a Cal 321. If you take a photo of the inside of the caseback and of the movement a more accurate description could be made. Or failing that, at least a photo of the outside of the caseback.

3. Dash1 Sep 21, 2012

Yeah, my guess is its a '69 cal 861 - but it could just have incorrect replacement parts. If the parts are original never get them changed at service, you would seriously devalue the watch. Lets see some pics of the inside case-back and movement!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

Not sure what you'd feel about it, but if it is a Cal 321 with wrong dial and hands, and its going to be a daily wearer piece, I'd go a NOS Cal 321 dial and hand set with luminova, keep the bezel and clean/service it rather than keeping the set on it as its neither are original but the NOS 321 dial and hands are at least correct aesthetically if not original. If its a '69 probably keep it as is and just clean/service.

5. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

dsio, I sent this same image to Omega and they replied that they assumed it to be a 321. That is what I'm going by only since I'm not smart on any of this. What does 'a dot above 90' mean ? Is that a points scale for condition ? I'm hesitant to try and open the back because I tried to do that over 30 years ago as a kid and scratched the hell out of the back cover. Anyway, I'm more curious what considerations I should have with replacing those items. On the one hand I would like to have it looking super nice again although I wouldn't mind still being able to recognize it as a vintage watch, just definitely not like it is now though. The crystal obviously needs replacing and the missing button. Is there anything that will decrease the value if it is replaced ? I know this will sound silly, but I'm thinking of how highly prized antique furniture is worth less if it's been re-finished along the way. Anything considerations like that ?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

Definitely don't do it without the correct tool but any local jeweller or watchmaker can take the back off for you long enough to photograph the inside of the caseback and the movement. The easiest way to tell is the caseback, but the movements look visually different, in the following picture is my Cal 321, you'll notice there's a bridge (a copper colored plate) in the shape of a chicken bone with two purple jewels on the ends with "OMEGA WATCH CO" and "SEVENTEEN 17 JEWELS" written on it?

[​IMG]

That chicken bone shaped bridge is the easiest way to tell a Cal 321 movement

Now if the movement has "OMEGA SWISS" and "SEVENTEEN JEWELS" written on a trapezoid shaped blob with two jewels attached to it like this, its a Cal 861 and is a later movement:

[​IMG]

7. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

Thanks for the info. I guess i will take it to a local watch shop to get them to open it correctly and get some photos when I can so I can learn more about it. It should be original everything on the watch though since my uncle gave it to me mid-70s as a kid, then was in a safe at my mom's house for 10+ years and then I've been wearing it since 1998. I did take it in to have the crystal replaced but that's it for services.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

In terms of the caseback, if it says 145.012 its a Cal 321, if it says 145.022 its a Cal 861 (on the inside of the caseback). What does the caseback look like, is it just a seahorse or is there any writing on it?

9. Dash1 Sep 21, 2012

Yes that's exactly the case. However as Dsio said, if it has the wrong parts fitted you might as well fit the new replacement parts that are basicaly the correct style.
    Omega would have no basis for saying its a 321, they often know less that the collectors! (proved by the fake Seamaster 300 they have displayed in their museum!!), but it could be. My money's still on a c.861 - still a very nice vintage watch! and well worth restoring.

10. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

it say "Speedmaster" above the seahorse and has the Omega symbol underneath.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

Hmm yea that doesn't narrow it down, if it said anything about the moon we'd know it was a 69 or later, but with nothing its still either way

12. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

here a pic of the back. you can see those dumb scratches i made as a kid not knowing how valuable of a watch i was screwing with !! I think i was using a awl

IMAG0199a.jpg

IMAG0199.JPG
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

Yea I've seen worse for sure, if you end up wearing it, irrespective of which movement it has, I'd consider getting one of these:

http://omegaforums.net/posts/17997/

Cheap and awesome for showing off the movement, so you have a jeweller or watchmaker near that could do the caseback for you?

14. Dash1 Sep 21, 2012

Well its definitely 1969 or earlier (that's the date the case was manufactured, not when the watch was retailed). Known as a 'Pre-moon' Speedmaster. Soon after the moon landings the case-back was changed to commemorate the fact that the Astronauts wore Speedmasters.

15. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

One of the reasons I'm looking to service it is that it's running a bit slow. Back when I had the crystal replaced (2002 in Colorado) I asked the guy to verify it was a real Omega. Anyway, he mentioned that it needed cleaning and that it was real although we never got into dating it or figuring out details like I'm trying to now. Would this type of service be something that I could / should get at a local watch shop or would you recommend only letting Omega do anything with the movement ? I'm currently living in Germany and only a few hours away from Bienne but I'm sure that the $ amount would be higher getting service at Omega.

16. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

I'm not sure if there is a shop nearby or not. I'll have to investigate.

17. ulackfocus Sep 21, 2012

While I noticed that difference, I never paid attention to it being the best way to differentiate the 321 from the 861. I always looked to see if it had the column wheel or not. Thanks for pointing that out.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

Yes, I've even heard of people using that as their avatar :D

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

It will likely be an 861 - I would clean but not polish - IMHO the way to go if the primary purpose is to preserve its value for collectors. If the goal is to wear it then replace the dial, bezel, hands, pushers and crown; service movement; I would still not polish the case but you can opt to do that if you want a shiny, scratch free watch.

20. Bill Thagard Sep 21, 2012

I plan to keep it and continue wearing daily, I just wouldn't want to do anything to diminish the value. I suppose that I could ask to have any replaced parts returned to me and then It would be an option to return to original for someone if I ever did decide to sell it. How about the movement parts ? If i did send it in for service and they needed to replace something within the movement is there any downside risk to that as far as value ?