Restoring a franken: worth it?

Hi everyone
Is it, in your opinion, ever worth it to buy a watch, knowing it’s a franken, to restore to original? I have my eye on an extremely rare reference, the only example (yes, singular) of which I can find is definitely not correct. I’m sure I can find all the parts I would need to restore it to its factory original configuration, but would this ever be worth it?

I know watches aren’t an investment, so removing cost from the consideration, how much would it bother you to know that a watch had lived at least 3 lives?

I’m leaning towards just doing it and enjoying the watch all the more for my efforts in restoring it, but am I crazy? (Obviously a little, that’s why we’re all here)

Have/would any of you ever done something similar?

Like 1
It's hard to say without knowing the watch/reference you are referring to, and how much of the original watch is still left. Maybe you can post some photos.

If a watch is already frankenized, there's obviously nothing wrong with using the parts or restoring it, but only you can say whether or not it would give you pleasure.
Edited:

Like 2
If cost is not a consideration and this restoration makes you happy, then do it. Especially for rare references where you can't find another (or don't want to wait for a really nice example to show up).

Sounds like an adventure and a great story to tell after you're done. I've seen vintage Speedmasters restored to it's original glory and it's always an amazing transformation (expensive though).

Just be aware that you'll probably never get your money back if you ever decide to sell it.

Unfortunately I'm very basic so every watch I buy are popular models with plenty of supply so I never had to go the restoration route.

Like 1
Sure, it’s a Breitling 2130.

In truth, I already bought it, but it’s in the mail, so pictures of the watch in question will have to wait. It has the correct reverse panda dial, but the wrong date disk and all the hands are wrong. These are all things I can source NOS from the 70s, and probably will either way, but I just wonder fellow watch nerds would look at this effort. I couldnt get a look at the movement before buying it, but if it’s wrong, I’ll find cal 12 for it too.

The watch was listed without the reference number, but the seller sent me pictures of the caseback, which confirmed what I already knew - it is definitely a 2130.

here is how it should look (picture from Fratello, courtesy of Fred Mandelbaum)

chronomatic-2130-lyre-lugs-rev-panda-1972.jpeg

Like 3
It's not really in my wheelhouse, but IMO, there's definitely enough left of that watch to be worth restoring and, importantly, the dial, bezel, and case look really nice. Replacing the hands and date-disk isn't a big deal.

[Edit: Just realized that the photo isn't your watch. Sorry, I was confused because the hands in the photo look so mis-matched to the watch in style, color, and length. They're not attractive, but I guess that's what they used because Fred would know. Anyway, for your watch, it depends on the condition of what's left.]

Like 1
Here is a picture from the listing. Apart from minor discoloration on the hour sub-dial, the dial is much better than most examples I’ve been able to find, and the case and bezel look excellent to me as well

Like 2
I would absolutely restore it. It may not make financial sense, but it can be very satisfying to bring a vintage watch back to its original condition. It took a year for me to get this one back into original condition, but it has quickly become one of my favorites.
IMG_6442.jpeg

Like 5
I would absolutely restore it. It may not make financial sense, but it can be very satisfying to bring a vintage watch back to its original condition. It took a year for me to get this one back into original condition, but it has quickly become one of my favorites.
IMG_6442.jpeg
Lovely! I'm glad I'm not the only one to go down this rabbit hole. If anyone else has watches they've restored, I'd love to see them. I suppose if it is worth it to you to restore it, it must really be something special to you.

Like 1
Worth restoring :thumbsup: and take your time. Try to restore in/to an "overall vintage patina".

Like 1
I have never bought a frankenwatch, but I have frankened several in my days.

To me, it's about enjoying a watch whose looks are tailored to my liking, and the juvenesque joy of knowing it's unique.
The same as with modified cars, resale value is a pipe dream (unless of course, it a rare collector's edition).

I’m in the restore camp. The watch in question has good bones. Take your time.

Like 1
I have been playing with watches off and on for over 30 years.

Will echo what others are saying with a few observations. Namly it makes a difference if one can service the watch themselves. If outside service is needed, the labor cost can beome overwhelming.

Even self service requires a lot of time and patience. Single parts can be hard to source. If one gets a donor movement then there is temptation to fix the donor after it has been around for a while. eBay and other auction sites are full of movements what have been stripped for parts. Often the same part is missing from a lot of examples.

Restoring something from the abyss can be a rewarding experience. Especially when the watch begins to tick again.

If one looks closely, especially in the book, While Frankenstein's creature may have had a bad brain, it had a good heart.

The other thing I have noticed, Given enough time, If I (or you) do not buy a poor example of a watch, someone else will ...

Like 2
I’m pretty certain that we’re all with you in the restore camp but I add that I would happily wear it in it’s current condition until I get the parts

Like 3
Thanks everyone! I’m going to go for it. I was probably going to anyway, but I’m glad to see such a wide consensus that doing so isn’t totally crazy.

It was advertised as running, so I’ll see what I can get for parts, then take it for a service and have the correct parts reinstalled.

I can’t service it myself; I am comfortable with small things, but only on watches I don’t mind messing up. I can remove a stem to tighten it in the crown, or change the hands on a 2824. I wouldn’t try anything on a watch that is either radioactive or valuable, and this is both. I doubt it has been serviced in decades, but I’ll put it on my cheapo timegrapher anyway to see how it’s running.

I’ll post some pictures when it has been restored

Like 3
It will be improved over its current incorrect state by your attentions. The effort could make for an entertaining passtime.

We'd be enthused to see your progress and results

I think you are right to buy and restore this watch! Frankly, if only the hands and date disk are wrong, is it really a Frankenwatch? I don't consider it so. My 1997 Speedmaster had hands changed sometime back to superluminova, but I don't consider it a Franken.

And are you sure the date disk is not original? Although the color is different than the 'original' photo you shared, the font and size look right. I'm surprised someone would swap out the date disk. Maybe it was just a legit variation from the factory?

Like 2
Quoted member kgb
I think you are right to buy and restore this watch! Frankly, if only the hands and date disk are wrong, is it really a Frankenwatch? I don't consider it so. My 1997 Speedmaster had hands changed sometime back to superluminova, but I don't consider it a Franken.

And are you sure the date disk is not original? Although the color is different than the 'original' photo you shared, the font and size look right. I'm surprised someone would swap out the date disk. Maybe it was just a legit variation from the factory?

You are echoing my own thoughts.

Maybe Breitling are different than other companies but in the vintage sphere I find that manufacturers tend to present many individual versions to please their customers desires

Like 1
Quoted member kgb
I'm out of my depths with Breitling, but if I had to make an informed guess, I would say that this is a factory disk for a different reference, however, still incorrect for this reference. According to WatchFred over on TimeZone, Breitling made both a black & white dialed 2130. The black dial should have a roulette date wheel with white background, whereas the white dial should have a date wheel with black background and white font.

8c7qRaKh.jpg jTw4AsKh.jpg

It took a lot of searching to find a black dialed 2130 that didn't have a roulette date wheel, but I found one that was sold at Antiquorum. I'm not sure how reliable this example is as the hands are very different to any other Breitling 2130 I have seen, but the date wheel font looks to be close enough to the OP's. With all I have seen, it's plausible the date wheel could be factory Breitling, however, it would be incorrect for the reference, as it should be roulette.
219.jpg

But again... I'm out of my depths and this is just an educated guess.

Regardless, good luck to the OP! it could be a fun project, though, I must admit, with this being such a rare watch, I'm quite curious how you are able to so easily find the "NOS" parts to return it to original/.

Like 1