Forums Latest Members
  1. Rogerg Jan 24, 2023

Hello I picked this one up at an auction recently to wear as a beater. I knew about the probable redial and the wrong hands and crown. I also knew it "doesn't keep accurate time". None of those issues bothered me as I always figure on a service so most of these things would be addressed then. My question here is if someone can tell me how close the minute hand is to the crystal. The watch loses hours per day but in a very inconsistent pattern and when timed against my Cal. 5100 chrono it loses about 5 sec/hr very consistently. My question here is if the tip of the minute hand extends virtually to the edge of the dial could it be binding on the slope of the crystal?
    Thanks as always!
    RogerG
    [​IMG]

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 24, 2023

Yes it certainly could considering the correct minute hand would only extend to the inside edge of the applied hour markers.

Dan S likes this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jan 24, 2023

Those are likely the wrong hands. But yes, an offhand remark by my watchmaker when he put a classic profile crystal on my KO 2627, he said the amplitude didn't change, therefore the hands weren't rubbing.

Since the hands are wildly wrong, the crystal itself might be fine and you just need the right hands.

4. SkunkPrince Jan 24, 2023

Samir and Mark020 like this.
  5. Rogerg Jan 26, 2023

I pulled the movement today and sure enough the minute hand was bent to the contour of the crystal/dial and was even just touching the indexes. the hour and minute hands seem loose on the "shaft", not enough to spin when shaken but do move at the slightest touch. Is it likely there is damage to the movement or are the hands made of soft enough metal that they would have worn instead of the shaft?
    Thanks all!

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 26, 2023

How would we know ? You expect an answer like the medical Tele health thingi ? Only one answer : Service with correct hands.

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 26, 2023

Furthermore to put your quest into perspective:You have a vintage car from the 1960's. You post an outside picture of your car at an internet site ( insert Maker here ) and ask the members, if your carburettor could cause your car to loose speed and sometimes stops....

Samir, S.H., Mark020 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rogerg Jan 27, 2023

Well in my experience in discussing interaction between engine or suspension parts of different materials on my vintage muscle cars good mechanics can usually hazard an opinion on likely wear patterns on said parts while diagnosing a problem.... but back to my "quest" might you or anyone else be able to point me in the direction of a source for a fresh set of hands?

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 27, 2023

eBay or a watchmaker with an Omega parts account.

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. Rogerg Jan 27, 2023

Thanks, only found gold on the bay and was really hoping for a mail order house because the only watchmaker near me wanted $95.00 to install MY clasp lock spring in my Speedy bracelet.

11. kaplan Jan 27, 2023

On the bright side those hands look like Globemaster hands, a model inspired by this model, dial looks like a redial as the 8'o clock print is way off

On eBay you sometimes can see dial/hands combinations for sale, I think you could use such a set

They are usually around $200 but always with an extreme patina

12. Rogerg Jan 27, 2023

Is there a reference source that might have the specs for hole size and lengths of the dauphine hands for a Cal. 561 REF: 168.005?
    Thanks very much

13. Dan S Jan 27, 2023

Hole sizes will be standard for the movement. The length of hands depends on the dial, not just the movement or reference. Honestly, unless you already have a huge stock of extra parts, it's better to buy watches that aren't such a mess.

Given that the dial has already been tampered with, the hands are wrong, and the movement is apparently in poor condition, I don't see this as a worthy project. You might want to reconsider. Sometimes it's better to be humble and not throw good money after bad. There are probably better ways to spend your time and money.

Even if you find the right hands and get the movement running well, it's still a horrible dial, which is the first thing you will always see.

Edited Jan 27, 2023
  14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 28, 2023

There is actually a Trade on our Planet, that can answer your questions and fix it as well. It's called Watchmaker.

X350 XJR and sheepdoll like this.
  15. Rogerg Jan 28, 2023

As I've said they're in short supply near me and the ones that are here say they send vintage out so expect 6 months and approx 1k for a service. The non-local ones I've already spoken to tell me they can only procure aftermarket ones. I was hoping someone here might be able to get me part #'s or specs so I can possibly watch ebay for a set of factory ones to send along with the watch when serviced out of town.

16. Rogerg Jan 28, 2023

So I need to take a measurement from center to the edge of the minute ring and order based on that? As for the movement I thought that the hands were possibly hanging up on the indexes so I bent them up a bit to see if that made a difference and it now keeps acceptable time (for a weekend beater).

17. kaplan Jan 28, 2023

Samir likes this.
  18. Rogerg Jan 28, 2023

Thank you for the info! As for the watch it was always intended as something to wear occasionally without fear of damaging it. I have other pieces in my "collection" that because of value/condition (a subjective criteria) I don't wear which to me is really not why I buy watches. This is an inexpensive (again relative) pie pan watch that fits MY lifestyle which seems to include finding everything to bang a watch against that I can find. It will always be what us car guys call a "10 footer" but that's what I bought as stated in OP. In my rotation it will see my wrist maybe every other month as I wear my mechanicals only when not working.

19. Rogerg Jan 29, 2023

Genuine Omega Hr/Min Hands to Fit Cal's 360-372, 410, 420, 428, 490-520, 550-570, 590-613, 28.5c, 26.50, 750-752. (ofrei.com)
    Are the ones here correct length? Thanks again!!!

20. Rogerg Mar 17, 2023

In the end I found a serviceable if not "correct" set of new Omega Dauphine hands and also a reasonable semi local watchmaker. Just got it back today and now I have a watch that I don't feel guilty about wearing.
    20230316_205938.jpg

Walrus and pbook4g5 like this.