Forums Latest Members
  1. MKelley Jul 28, 2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-CONST...t=Wristwatches&hash=item23204bbc5d#ht_617wt_1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Does the restoration look good on this watch? With my newbie eye, the watch looks good. I'm torn. Should I go with restored/ready wear or clean original? Some patina appears to enhanced the overall look. I realize value drops on restored.

All opinions welcomed.

2. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2012

On eBay, sellers mistakenly say "restored" when they should say "redialed". Pass on it and get an original. You'll only regret redialed vintage Omega pieces as you get more serious.

3. MKelley Jul 28, 2012

Thanks for the advice & I actually do agree. I have several original vintage Rolexes & 1 redialed Rolex. The original look has character. The redialed, while it looks good, lacks a sense of it's age. Kinda like plastic surgery at an advance age. Some good, some not so much.

4. MKelley Jul 28, 2012

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

In the ad it says "Has been professionally redone in the past" you need to look for ones that dont say redone, refinished or restored.

6. MKelley Jul 28, 2012

Point taken. Thank you.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 28, 2012

Actually I think there is a reasonable justification to be made for using the term "restored" regarding a refinished dial when its done correctly to original specification, unlike the one noted at the beginning of this thread, which bears no resemblance to anything ever offered originally by Omega.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

The main problem I have with the word restored is that there are two potential meanings, one is something that was cleaned with lemon juice or acid or whatever to remove patina, and in some cases the results can be exceptional. That's a restored dial I'd be entirely happy with, while a restored dial that's been repainted, even if to original spec, and there was a thread on some exceptional quality redials recently, its still new paint, and its the fact that the word is ambiguous that bothers me.

I actually do agree that an exceptional redial, especially on a model that is worth it and prone to dial damage is a beautiful thing and very wearable, but its just the confusion that particular word causes.

9. MKelley Jul 28, 2012

Thank you both for the input. I decided to re-focus on a couple, for which I received forum input yesterday. ;)