Forums Latest Members
  1. chirpy415 Apr 29, 2014

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a place for a Speedmaster case restoration and service in the Bay Area?

2. lenny Apr 29, 2014

3. toddmp Apr 29, 2014

4. Hvacman Apr 29, 2014

Hi Todd, I live in Walnut Creek. Can you give me an idea of what they charged or the service?
    Thanks

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 29, 2014

I drive thru Walnut Creek every weekday (more like crawl with traffic). Maybe I'll take my Speedy for an estimate. I can always walk out and think about it. The watchmaker does look qualified, but he's near some high rent retail...

6. toddmp Apr 29, 2014

the place is in a very budget building. They have lots of trinkets and cheap katana swords for sale. don't let that put you off though. Tam the owner is very knowledgeable and completely sympathetic to my not wanting to send my watch off to Omega for a complete replacement of dial, movement, hands, etc. He completely understands keeping as many original parts in place during a restoration as well as leaving the customers preferred amount of "wear & character" in place.

For me, he took this:
    [​IMG]

To this (I have original hands, i requested the vintage hands to be put on cause I love em):
    [​IMG]

I was charged $600 for a complete tear down, inspection and cleaning of the non-working 861. Plungers were replaced as well as mainspring and two other small parts that had to do with the 6'oclock sub-dial. I was given a 1 year warranty (just expired last month). I am immensely happy with the watch. No issues whatsoever. Work took about 8 weeks.

todd