Forums Latest Members

Restoration Of A Rolex WW2 Era Pocket Watch - RGM Video

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 6, 2023

2. bikerfox Mar 7, 2023

that's such a great skill to have...to be able to dissect this instrument, clean it, and resurrect it to keep near perfect time.
    makes me want to go to horology school!

Larry S and sheepdoll like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 8, 2023

I wish they had shown what they did with the dial though.

bikerfox likes this.
  4. Vitezi Mar 8, 2023

Agreed - that dial had the usual cracks at 10 and 4, all gone at the end. A new painted metal dial instead of the original enamel, perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RevZMan123, Larry S and DaveK like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 8, 2023

Given the fact that he makes enamel dial watches one wonders if this was remade.

Vitezi likes this.
  6. sheepdoll Mar 8, 2023

I spent years attempting to make enameled dials prior to 2002. Attending a class/workshop at the local community center in Palo Alto. One of the other students was actually from Switzerland (retired.) There are not a lot of places that tech this sort of thing. They may have taken the lead out but the cadmium and selenium remain.

Even to the point were one watch company was interested should I have success. There was a huge waste pile in the back. I sill have some blanks. This of course was decades ago.

This is not to say that there are still a few companies/restoration artists that which have even larger scrap piles.

Curiously I was dreaming about some of this last night. Probably as I have become interested in the subject again.

I am more inclined to believe the before/after labels are swapped on the dial photographs.

ExpiredWatchdog likes this.