Forums Latest Members

Researching Speedy bezel protection at work...ideas welcome.

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 25, 2015

Greetings and salutations...

After receiving a new Speedy for my 51st b-day, I'd like to protect/preserve it as much as possible...especially at work where stainless steel switches, toggles and buttons wait patiently to pounce on cool watches. Anyway, due to being a car guy, I have utilized leftover hand-cut Cleartastic static cling protection for the Hesalite crystal (see pic below)...but I'm most concerned about protection for the bezel...especially the outer edge where nicks seem most likely. Is there any sort of small snap ring or flexible rubber/plastic ring available for the Speedy bezel? I've been Googling like a Google whore but haven't encountered anything.

Thanks,

Collin

Hand-cut Cleartastic static cling protection installed on Hesalite crystal...

image.jpg
    Edited Apr 25, 2015
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 25, 2015

Three or four layers of bubblewrap taped round your watch should be enough to protect it, or you could just wear a timex for work.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 25, 2015

Anyone remember the Elmer's glue thread on TZ from years ago?

Paedipod, Mad Dog and dennisthemenace like this.
  4. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 25, 2015

Believe me, along the lines of what you first mentioned has already been executed (see pic below). I executed a hand-cutting of a static cling material that a local Omega dealer uses to protect new watches in their display cases. My wife (and children) have stated that I'm not allowed to wear the Speedy to work looking like that. Doesn't look too bad to me!

image.jpg
    Edited Apr 25, 2015
    ikeo1 likes this.
  5. proximal Apr 25, 2015

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 25, 2015

It's a watch wear it. The bezel is the least if your worries

kaito1000, Buckeyes#1, nlogax and 2 others like this.
  7. bill5959 Apr 25, 2015

OCD knows no bounds.

Buckeyes#1 and Mad Dog like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

Congrats on your watch Colin but trust us on this, you'll enjoy it a lot more if you get rid of the cling film as its not going to help at all. Hesalite is extremely easy to buff scratches, even big ones out of, you can scuff it up then once a month give it a going over and its fine again. Every 5 years when it goes in for service that hesalite will go in the bin and they'll install a new one anyway as its $30-50 or something, forget the exact price but its a cheap consumable part thats normally replaced. Anything that can potentially actually damage the hesalite (and not be able to be buffed out easily) will go through the cling film in no time flat, it really will do nothing.

The bezels are similarly quite reasonably priced and stand up to abuse far better than you'd expect, many people have 40-50 year old bezels on watches still. The moonwatch is really more like a pickup truck than a Porsche, having scuffs and scrapes on it make it look like its lead the life it was intended for, keeping it in plastic is sort of like having a Toyota Hilux with no dirt it, it just makes it look like you haven't used it.

kpa, dougiedude and Mad Dog like this.
  9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 25, 2015

I totally agree. However I sold a '69 Speedmaster with an almost flawless faded blue DON for fear of "kissing"
    one of my favorite door knobs. At least it went to a fellow forum member and we subsequently became friends.

Another watch story with a happy ending :)

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

You'll be friends until he dents it at least :D

M'Bob likes this.
  11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 25, 2015

At least it will be on his "dime" ;)

12. timeismoney Apr 25, 2015

basel_image.642206.jpg

Accept no substitute ::facepalm2::

pascs, Temiyasen, Spacefruit and 2 others like this.
  13. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 25, 2015

I think the official speedmaster bezel protectors have two names, either seiko or Casio.

mojothewolf and Mad Dog like this.
  14. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 25, 2015

So the Moonwatch is also like my '07 Ford Police Interceptor (see pic below)...a utilitarian machine. Alrighty then! :cool:

image.jpg
    Edited Apr 25, 2015
  15. ctime3 Apr 26, 2015

Go Buckeyes

Buckeyes#1 and Mad Dog like this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 26, 2015

This guy has your solution. This is a Rolex, but I think it will fit a Speedmaster too.

duct tape.jpg

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 26, 2015

Nooooo. That is much bigger and you'd be afraid of dinging it - unless you covered it in Elmers glue.

18. litleredwagen Apr 26, 2015

I protect my Speedy by wearing my Seamaster everyday;)

19. yinzerniner Apr 27, 2015

The only other alternative I can think of would be to cut a small section of 2" diameter (50mm to fit around ~40mm bezel diameter) or so of heat shrink tubing and affix it directly on top of the bezel edge. I don't think it will look that great, but if it's clear it could look OK and provide maximum protection and ease of removal, unlike the elmers glue solution which might leave residue.

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. proximal Apr 27, 2015

That will look great...for the next owner of the watch, when he removes the plastic.