Forums Latest Members

Requesting opinions on 1960s Zenith

1. loveslemon71 Aug 17, 2021

Hello all -- I just acquired a beautiful Constellation so have no business looking at more watches, but ... I can't stop thinking about this Zenith I found on Chrono24 and ebay. Zenith seems harder than Omega to research online, so I'm having trouble gathering any real info on this model or style. (I did notice that another Zenith offered by the same seller was flagged in an earlier thread, although it wasn't clear to me what conclusion was reached, if any...)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/another-fraudulent-zenith-on-the-bay.129921/

I would be very grateful for your thoughts!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg
  2. CaptainWinsor Aug 17, 2021

Verified authentic by a master watchmaker. ???

Just a plain Zenith from the 60s. Move on and get a nice 50s bumper IMO

loveslemon71 and Dan S like this.
  3. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 17, 2021

Like you, I’m also into a sixties kick, but I’m aiming for stainless steel models.

The one aspect of this watch, nice tho' it is, is the lack of a sweep second hand.

If I were you, and I appreciate that I’m not, I’d carry on looking.

loveslemon71, Dan S and CaptainWinsor like this.
  4. Dan S Aug 17, 2021

Could be a nice little entry-level dress watch for special occasions. But not particularly collectible because of the gold-plated case.

5. CaptainWinsor Aug 17, 2021

Spruce, loveslemon71 and Dan S like this.
  6. loveslemon71 Aug 17, 2021

OK, many thanks. Yeah, I know it’s nothing too special — but there’s something cool about the way those oddly shaped gilt indices look on that plain creamy dial. Almost as if they are melting. Is Zenith known for dial design? Anyway it sounds like no one thinks it’s an obvious fake or scam, which is good. I’ll see how the auction goes. If it stays cheap I might go for it. Really appreciate the input!

Spruce likes this.
  7. spe777 Aug 18, 2021

I think it looks good, but it's really about what you like. I do like the hour markers. I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for it, especially since it's a gold plated case, but might be worth adding if you can get for a good price.

loveslemon71 likes this.
  8. loveslemon71 Aug 20, 2021

Just to update: it sold for $330. I decided to let it go, as several of you wisely advised. Quality, not quantity!

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.