Forums Latest Members

Requesting assistance with identification of Omega De Ville vintage ladies watch

1. bellafraser Dec 4, 2017

Hi everyone,

I recently inherited a watch from my grandmother. She recalls having it since the 1960s or 1970s, she can't remember clearly. I'm not sure in which country it was purchased. There is no paperwork with it. It is 18K solid gold (I had a jeweller check this, too). It weighs about 54g. I don't think it has been serviced for a long time (maybe 20 years) but it still works and keeps time. It has a manual winding movement. The back clasp says "711.1521". I looked on the Omega vintage watch database and couldn't find anything, so I'm coming to you for help!

I'm interested in knowing a bit about it:
    Is it an authentic Omega?
    From which year is it?
    Roughly how much might it be worth?

I realise ladies watches are not as in demand, and it may not have a value greater than the gold value (USD850 was quoted to me by my go-to gold guy). I hesitate to sell it for the gold value though, just because I do think it's a lovely watch to look at and it is in perfect condition - no scratches, no markings, has been stored well and probably not worn for 20 years or more (it was only ever worn on special occasions). And I apologise if I've not given the right information - I know nothing about watches, but tried to follow the posting guide :) I've done my best with the photos but I know they aren't ideal.

Thanking you in advance for any information you might be able to share!

IMG_4831.JPG IMG_4832.JPG IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4834.JPG IMG_4835.JPG
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 4, 2017

Congratulations on doing some research before asking about your watch.

Based on the photos provided I'd say that it is a genuine Omega, model De Ville, dated to the mid 1970s.

Pics of the caseback and the insides would help clarify things.

As you have discovered, there is a very limited market for these beautiful little items of jewellery, and unfortunately, most get scrapped for the gold so the value you were offered would be fair IMO.

Due to its exceptional condition it may be worth putting it through an auction house rather than trying to sell on eBay etc. (if you are selling that is).

mydeafcat likes this.
  3. bellafraser Dec 4, 2017

Thanks for your reply, JimInOz, and your date estimate! Further internet searching showed up one hit for the same watch, an 18K white gold variant with some damage which was auctioned in Sweden in 2010 with an estimate of USD1200 but was withdrawn from auction. Can't find another example of the same model anywhere. Was a fun attempt though! And well aware rarity doesn't = $$$!

I don't have the tools to get the back off, but could certainly go to a jeweller/watch repairs place and ask them to remove it. The caseback is blank (see photo).

I don't suppose I could be so lucky, but I'm in Australia... Is the "Oz" in your name because you are too? I'd love recommendations for auction houses if you are. If I can't get more than the gold value for the watch, I might hang on to it. Seems such a pity to melt it down.

IMG_4839.JPG
  4. fjf Dec 4, 2017

[​IMG]

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 5, 2017

If you decide to sell it you could try eBay or contact an auction house and see what the procedure is and how much you have to pay in commission.

Probably one of the widest reaching Aussie ones is First State Auctions.

Here is the guide to selling with them.

https://www.firststateauctions.com.au/selling-jewellery-–-frequently-asked-questions

Checking their past sales will give you an idea of the things they sell and prices realised.

https://www.firststateauctions.com.au/past-sales?body_value=ladies+gold+watch

If you are the trusting type you could send the watch to me (in Melbourne) and I can give you all of the details for your item description, PM me if you like. I would return via registered express post.

bellafraser likes this.