Forums Latest Members

Request help to appraise Omega Officer (Black Dial)

1. raitosan Feb 15, 2020

Hello,

Thinking of purchasing my fist vintage watch. I was eyeing for an Omega w.w.w., but then discovered the cool side story about Omega Officer (and Suverän) connecting Switzerland and Sweden. I'm especially interested in the black dial/gilt version.

After a few weeks of search I've spotted an interesting candidate. I've agreed with the seller to reserve the watch for me, and I'm traveling to meet the seller in his shop in Gothenburg.

Source: https://arlingtonwatches.com/products/omega-officer

Can you please help by commenting on the possible authenticity and the quality of key features of this particular specimen? I have listed some concerns hereunder. Would be great to receive helpful replies.

(1) Dial: sellers has disclosed the dial has a "dent". I am not able to identify the dent on the photo. How is it possible for a dial to get dented in the first place? I can only think of a mechanical damage, and that would indicate the original crystal might have gotten damaged and replaced at some point?

(2) Sub-second dial: is this normal patination, especially compared to hours/minutes dial?

(3) Crown: Is the domed crown authentic for Omega Officer watch?

(4) Spring bars: are not the same type. Isn't it customary, if watch is serviced, both spring bars are replaced? What type of spring bars were originally fitted to Officer watches?

(5) Time period: Online search indicates the movement (serial number 9404284) was made in 1939. But the case back (serial number 10260102) was made in 1944. When was the particular watch assembled by Omega? Is the case back authentic, or a later addition?

(6) Model reference: I was not able to determine the specific model variant of this Officer watch.

(7) Caliber: I was not able to determine the caliber variant of this Officer watch.

(8) 3-digit engraving: theres 193 engraved on the back of a lug. What is this code referring to? When conducting online search I haven't spotted an engraving on Officer watches in this location. Is it authentic?

Copied photos for your convenience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for you help,
    Rait

janice&fred likes this.
  2. Dan S Feb 15, 2020

Welcome to Omega Forums, Rait. Good luck with the watch, and I look forward to your continuing contributions. :thumbsup:

A number stamped on a lug is often matched to a case-back number (maybe inside the case-back), so that one can determine that a given mid-case and case-back go together. This is certainly common with Longines, but I don't know about this model. You should be aware that these watches are VERY small, so the movement is probably a cal 26.5 of some variety. Spring-bars are just expendable items that should be changed every few years.

Edited Feb 15, 2020
    raitosan likes this.
  3. raitosan Feb 15, 2020

Thanks Dan!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2020

I'm not too familiar with these, but two things concern me straight off.

1. The dial looks to have been repainted when comparing the main and sub-dials.

2. what's going on here?

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 2.29.40 PM.png

As to dates not aligning to the phases of the moon.
    During the early 1940s, a lot of shit was happening and matching production dates of cases to movements wasn't a high priority, even for the Swiss, so some variation can be expected.

raitosan and Dan S like this.
  5. raitosan Feb 16, 2020

Thanks @JimInOz !

Can you please elaborate on your point (2)? What are you pointing towards?

(a) Regulator is too much adjusted towards R? Meaning clock is gaining time without significant adjustment.
    (b) Something else?

Edited Feb 16, 2020
  6. Maskelyne Feb 16, 2020

The dial seems to be ok. The fonts differs between minutes and seconds register on the Officer. As mentioned they are very small (circa 30-31 mm), and it´s a ladies watch in my opinon. I don´t know if there has been a version without radium on the numbers. If not, the radium has vanished from the numbers. (Seems unlikely as it is a military watch).

The crown is replaced, The movement has been tampered with as mentioned above. The dial has a dent. Do not buy this watch, look further!
    I suggest that you look at the Suverän modell. That is wearable with its 35-36 mm case. Of course the officer is a small cool watch if you anaway decide to buy one!

The ammo is Swedish cal 6,5mm (.264) and cal 7,62mm (.308)
    Omega-Officer-ammo.jpg Omega-Officer-logo.jpg

Dan S, OMEGuy, raitosan and 2 others like this.
  7. raitosan Feb 16, 2020

8. raitosan Feb 16, 2020

Hi @tdn-dk! What are your thoughts?

9. tdn-dk Feb 16, 2020

Not quite sure.

I think the text looks correct, but my black one dont have greyish colored text, but more golden I think.

If original, the lumen have been cleaned of.

IMG_3496.JPG 5 variants.jpg

10. bubba48 Feb 16, 2020

My Officer says hello

omega officer (2).jpg

11. raitosan Feb 16, 2020

@tdn-dk thanks!

The photos of your watches are eye-wateringly crisp and beautiful. Great inspiration!

Can you comment, based on your clearly vast experience re: Offcer watches, is there any underlying rule for using domed or flat crowns. I see, also from the photos you added, that both variations are used. If domed, then Omega sign is visible. If flat, no Omega sign?

12. tdn-dk Feb 16, 2020

There were no logo on the crowns in the 1940's. I would say this type is the correct:

Omega Officer 1942-43, cal. 26,5 t3 PC T1, reference 2299..JPG

From Omegas book A journey through time.JPG

Maybe, OMEGuy and Dan S like this.
  13. raitosan Feb 16, 2020