Forums Latest Members
  1. Jukebox63 Mar 1, 2020

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have this Omega Officer where the Omega sign and officer text has faded or been whipped away. One can still see faint traces of them. So my question would be can/ should this be redone? I plan on selling this watch but do not want to fool/ mislead anyone and wonder what the best option would be. The other question would be what a reasonable price for a watch like this could be?

Any help/ advice appreciated.

Regards,

IMG_6473.jpg IMG_6464.jpg IMG_6466.jpg IMG_6469.jpg
  2. Dan S Mar 1, 2020

While these are collectible, the 31mm size limits their desirability even in good condition. With the wiped dial, the value is pretty much gone IMO. Personally I wouldn't bother investing in a dial restoration. Even if well-done, a re-dialed Officer won't be worth very much, and if the restoration doesn't go well, then you won't have added any value at all. I think your best bet is just to sell it as is, and someone will buy it for parts, or because they want to give a restoration a shot.

3. bubba48 Mar 1, 2020

If you reprint the dial, it is worth even less.
    I think it is sufficient that you post very clear pic of the dial and declare that the writing has faded. Pics of the inner caseback and movement are also needed.

4. Maskelyne Mar 1, 2020

- I agree with Dan S and I think someone have cleaned the dial with a devastating result.

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 1, 2020

Good value would come from better photos. You need diffused natural light near a window, or a lightbox. There are some good photography tip threads here

6. KingCrouchy Mar 1, 2020

Without the Omega Officer writing there isn't so much value in those. Mine says hi

IMG_20200301_171456.jpg
    ChrisN, Dan S, OMEGuy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jukebox63 Mar 1, 2020

Hi All,

thanks for all the valuable feedback so far. I will try and take better pics to post.

Regards,

8. Jukebox63 Mar 1, 2020

Some pics I had but will take better ones.

Cheers

IMG_6494.jpg IMG_6495.jpg IMG_6491.jpg
  9. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 1, 2020

I wouldn’t try to ‘fix’ it. It looks nice the way it is.

Chances are, no redial is ever gonna get it really right, so, in my view, no redial is going to be worth the trouble.

ChrisN and efauser like this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 1, 2020

Looks like a good case/movement.
    Hang on to it and you may run across an over-polished, non-working one with a better dial or a member that needs some help. Voila!
    If not, enjoy what you have and vow never to try cleaning a dial.

11. Jukebox63 Mar 2, 2020

Thanks! I bought the watch in this state...... It all seems very nice except for the logo and writing the pictures in the ad when I bought it were not good and believed the previous owner that the logo and writing are still visible which they are but not clear at all and hard to photograph. I will try to take better pics. I took a chance on this one however I am open to offers or dials or other solutions as I am in search of a Ranchero.

IMG_6492.jpg
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 2, 2020

Best of luck to you but please do read the rules regarding sales.

13. Jukebox63 Mar 2, 2020

Hi sorry did not want to do anything against any rules... was under the impression the rules for sales are for auction section of this forum. I was just trying to be helpful to anyone or wanted to be helped.

Apologies again.

UncleBuck likes this.