Forums Latest Members
  1. horacehenn Jul 20, 2018

Having wanted a "vintage" watch for some time and looked at the Omega Soccer Timer, Tag Autavia 2003 and Breitling Transocean, I have just ordered my Omega Seamaster 176.007…..with original steel strap and that all important syringe hand !

The bezel isn’t looking great and so I’ve ordered a replacement (part number PF5220 if anyone else is looking) from America. My question is "Will replacing this affect the value of the watch and if so, so should I keep the original on it ?" Either way, I suppose I can keep the other as a replacement for future (and the crystal that the new bezel comes with) as I understand that both are becoming very hard to get hold of.

Also, can any decent local watch shop replace the crystal/bezel (and gasket) on this model, or should I send it off to a proper watchmaker ?

It’s great to see so many posts from people on here who clearly love the 176 in its different guises. I don’t know much about vintage watches, but it seems a great watch for the money to me - all that history with the calibre 1040 movement and (to me at least) a cracking looking watch IMG_7141.PNG

2. simonsays Jul 20, 2018

Replacing the bezel will not hurt the value at all. Only improve it. I notice there is some damage to the dial, this will be more difficult to address. Probably best to live with that. Its nice to keep original parts with the watch, I don't see any value in it now its damaged.

3. simonsays Jul 20, 2018

As an after thought, one has to wonder what has caused this damage, and the most likely one is water ingress, so check the movement for damage.

4. horacehenn Jul 25, 2018

Thanks Simon

Having now received the watch, I think replacing the bezel will make a real difference. As you say - I will find out what’s caused the damage to stop it happening again (good advice, thanks).

As you also say, there is some slight damage to the bottom of the dial, but I think I live with that.

I’m really pleased with it overall. I’ve wanted one for ages, but couldn’t find a silver dial one with the syringe hand and original steel strap (for a reasonable price).