Forums Latest Members
  1. SkunkPrince Jun 6, 2020

It always strikes me how many people here seem to think that Omega's (for example) repair costs are "too high". My own experience with my current watchmaker, it really depends on the watch and my expectations for it.

I recently had a 50s Benrus serviced, and that was $310 with parts, and that included crystal and balance complete. He warned me that it had a "rather pedestrian movement" and that installing the balance complete was an upgrade, and not to expect too much. Since many of my watches are "this is neat, I'll wear it for a day", this doesn't bother me. Who cares if it gains 20 seconds? I'm taking it off anyways.

My Omega watches are a different story. I wear them for weeks at a time. They are either chronometers or can be adjusted to that level. Those I pay more for, because I actually pay him to go farther than he normally would for adjustment. Not to mention, parts aren't necessarily as prevalent or cheap as Schild (for example), so those cost more too. So $500 plus parts for an Omega service is fine by me.

So are you guys who quote service for $200 US, are you accepting of 15 seconds a day or more for a watch you're not going to wear more than aa day or two at a time? If so, I guess that's reasonable. But you say more than that is "too expensive" for people who may be wearing the same watch for weeks or more at a time, which I don't understand. It takes time and effort to adjust a high-grade movement.

Be interested to hear what the watchmakers think too.

Edited Jun 6, 2020