Forums Latest Members

removing a 'difficult' spring bar from a 20mm lug...

1. john_coburg Mar 6, 2021

i have an irritating problem in the size of a pair of stuck springbars in a no-holes case. I procured some chunky ones in an effort to stop a 'clicking' sound when tightening the strap, but not only did these not solve the issue (which i think is actually due to thin tips, rather than a thin bar, which these still have), which seem to be annoyingly wide, and i just can't get a grip on the teeth.
    See the attached photo showing the teeth to be outside 20mm...hence not really sure of the point of these teeth on 20mm wide lugs, which they were advertised as.
    Bottom line, is a hacksaw my only option here? There must be a neater/cleverer/less violent way of removing the damn things 20210306_180307.jpg ..?

2. duc Mar 6, 2021

They are typically easy to remove with a pair of cutting dykes, but you have to sacrifice the strap (usually).

3. Dan S Mar 6, 2021

I can't understand this post. You seem to be measuring the distance between the flanges when not installed in the watch, which has nothing to do with removing them. The ends are spring-loaded, so the the distance between the flanges must be greater than 20mm when not installed, this allows them to be pushed flush against the inside of the lugs when installed. These shouldn't be any more difficult to remove than any other spring-bars IMO.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 6, 2021

For springbars, the answer is always vinegar and needle nose pliers.

M'Bob likes this.
  5. SkunkPrince Mar 6, 2021

Or just cut the damned thing and who cares?

marco likes this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 6, 2021

upload_2021-3-6_20-21-8.jpeg

I have a 10:10 success rate with this wonderful tool. It also solves the second problem of the same springbar causing the same consternation again :thumbsup:

Spacefruit, marco, Vitezi and 8 others like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 6, 2021

I find they are the quick solution for a lot of nuisances!

8. JwRosenthal Mar 6, 2021

I use wire cutters like above (although I do have a small pair that work well too). You don’t have to sacrifice the strap all the time, if it has enough flex fo push it to the side, you may be able to get enough purchase to cut the tube without destroying the strap.
    I have also had luck using a razor blade. Slide it down right against the lug until you make contact with the bar and make a prying motion towards the strap in effort to creep the bar out. Works most of the time...and when it doesn’t...out with the cutters!

eugeneandresson likes this.
  9. Professor Mar 6, 2021

I was able to pick out the stitching from the last inch or so of a band to free it then re-stitch it later when I used that band on another watch.
    I later found a perfect match for the thread used for stitching of that type of band at Walmart in the crafts section. I have no idea what it was meant for but it came in small bundles of lengths of perhaps a foot long or more in various colors.

duc likes this.
  10. SkunkPrince Mar 6, 2021

I wish I were that talented. I have a wire-lug watch where the strap was originally sewn on.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2021

I’ve got a good set of precise wire cutters from knippex that do an excellent job of both spring bars and twist-o-flex bracelets. In both cases if they don’t come off easily they get cut, its not worth leaving scratch marks on your watch to save a cheap spring bar or junk bracelet (the later I don’t even try to remove if they’re the expanding endlink type they’re too much of a liability and cause damage too easily).

eugeneandresson and Mad Cow like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 6, 2021

13. SkunkPrince Mar 6, 2021

I've seen that one before. All of that yanking about makes me... uncomfortable. I'd worry someone might accidentally fling their watch across the room.

Best leave to the professional what you can't handle yourself. I am actually pretty experienced in adjusting bracelets, for example... but I am by no means as steady of hand and acute of vision of my usual watchmaker. I know when to ask for help! (I admit some of this is lack of depth perception because of birth defect.)

14. Observer I know nothing! Mar 6, 2021

I can see how the wire cutters would solve the problem, but what if they’re vintage spring bars?

15. SkunkPrince Mar 7, 2021

Cut them twice as fast!

Archer and duc like this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 7, 2021

Vintage spring bars are far more likely to fail and damage the watch they’re attached to, its just not worth the risk and I’ve really never seen anyone wanting to pay a premium for original vintage spring bars. Spring bars, seals, and crystals are all wear and tear items you just replace, ideally with OEM but if not with appropriate quality replacements.

17. OllieOnTheRocks Mar 7, 2021

The last time i had trouble removing a spring bar was because I accidentally used one without a flange. It was for a lug with holes out of another watch. I used a pair of long nose pliers to bend the spring bar in situ and pulled it out of the watch. I would not do this with a delicate watch but for a chunky stainless steel one it did the trick and I saved the £100 watch strap I had fitted on it. The spring bar ultimately snapped in half. Which I am okay with as this was the least of my worries.

18. duc Mar 7, 2021

Regardless of the chunkiness of the lugs, this method may damage the contour of the hole. If it didn't on your watch, it was pure luck, as you had no way of knowing the outcome before you did what you did. I wouldn't want to take that chance when it is too easy to cut the bar and be done with it (even if you have to ruin the strap).

I just went through this with a Sinn strap. The strap on my U2 fit on my EZM1.1. I leave the spring bars in all my straps when they are removed, so I don't have to hunt for them when I go to replace them in the future. I wasn't paying attention when I decided to replace the NATO on my EZM1.1 with one of the rubber straps in my box, and grabbed the wrong one. The one I grabbed was fabricated with the spring bar assembly molded into the rubber (and the spring bars had no flanges). It was for the U2 which has drilled lugs. Of course when I installed it on the EZM1.1 I didn't notice anything until it was time to replace it. I had to ruin the strap and cut the bar to get it apart.

All kinds of lessons learned during that ordeal. A word to the wise: "The best lessons learned, are at someone else's expense."

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 7, 2021

Well, you're the one who suggested vinegar!

And I thought it was brilliant! :thumbsup: The vinegar would slowly erode the inner spring, releasing the the tension on the bar and allowing it to be easily removed (unless it's the stainless steel bits that are jammed). The only thing is, that might actually take days or weeks, and most of us are not that patient.

That's where the needle nose pliers come into play - to rip that bad boy out. Wire cutters will work too, as has been suggested.

Edited Mar 7, 2021
  20. john_coburg Mar 7, 2021

Thank you all - wire cutters did the job. Not sure quite why i couldn't get any purchase on the flanges, but in any case, they're out, and off, and in the bin.