Forums Latest Members
  1. omegary Apr 2, 2012

I was 6 in 1971 and it seemed like a time of endless possibilities. We'd seemingly conquered space after all so everything was within the realms of possibility and future was surely going to be golden. Okay it didn't quiet turn out to be quite so halcyon but some good things did come out of the era.

This could well be the year that marked the start of the digital age when the Microprocessor was invented. We also saw the use of more and more of the transistor technology in use in things like hand held calculators which although are still very expensive over time will drop in price and increase in function to where we are today. It is also the first year North Sea Oil production begins in Norway.

Popular culture
    Led Zeppelin releases their untitled fourth album
    Jim Morrison of The Doors found dead in bath tub in Paris

Films released
    The Andromeda Strain
    The French Connection

Technology
    Oil production from the North Sea begins in Norway
    Intel releases world's first microprocessor, the 4004
    Texas Instruments releases the first pocket calculator
    The first internet chat rooms appear (I was amazed by this btw)
    The first cat sScanner produced by EMI
    BBC Open University broadcasts begin in the UK
    The Aswan Dam is completed in Egypt
    The worlds largest tanker 372,400 tons Nisseki Maru is launched
    Apollo 14 lands on the Moon.
    Apollo 15 astronauts become the first to ride in a lunar rover a day after landing on the surface
    First soft contact lens became available commercially in the USA
    Kevlar goes on to the market.

Inventions
    Microprocessor USA
    Pocket calculator The Sharp Company
    E-Mail USA Ray Tomlinson
    Floppy disk USA by IBM
    Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD) Switzerland

All in all it was a pretty cool time to be around and in 1971 the average rent in the US was $150pm.

For a mere $25 extra you could have had this on your wrist (slowish reveal sorry about that)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see it was bought in Chicago in December 1971 for $175. I've never really been one for boxes and papers but when this arrived I couldn't believe just how complete a set it was.

Cheers,
    Gary

a1watch, Trev and xxjorelxx like this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2012

The dude lived just down the street from Wrigley Field.

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 2, 2012

Those hour markers sure add a sense of depth to it. Very nice.

4. xxjorelxx Apr 2, 2012

Wow! I haven't seen too many of those in that condition with box and papers. That looks almost NOS. Nice find! :thumbsup:

5. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2012

Kinda funky! :thumbsup: That's a real collector's piece with all those goodies intact.

To answer the question in your thread title, I was 5. Veteran's stadium (called the Vet) had just opened and Harry Kalas was the Phillies new announcer. The Baltimore Orioles were fresh off a World Series win over the Reds and going to another WS only to lose to the Pittsburgh Pirates in an awesome 7 game series.

And both these watches were made.....

Still in the collection and a regular in the rotation - AP 5279 caliber 2120:

[​IMG]

Gone over a year - Heuer 1163 caliber 12:

[​IMG]

6. omegary Apr 3, 2012

Thanks Trev :)

One of the things that really appeals to me about this particular model are the floating indices. They're a great design feature and one I really wish a modern manufacturer would pick up on. As you say they add great depth to the dial and I love the way that the second hand goes underneath them.

Cheers,
    Gary

7. omegary Apr 3, 2012

Yep it was bought in a jewellers on 3561 North Broadway. I googled the address but it's now an Italian restaurant called Angelina Ristorante.

Lovely AP btw, any regrets letting the Autavia go?

Cheers,
    Gary

8. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 3, 2012

Can I ask what it set you back (71 was my birth year and I Might have to hunt for one)

In 1971 Miles Davis released Live Evil and A tribute to Jack Johnson, 2 stunning albums, Keith Jarrett released Expectations, which is pretty flash too ... was listening to 2 of the 3 today on the way to work.

9. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2012

Only a twinge because it was a great looking watch. It felt a little to big for me, so I replaced it with the Seamaster Chronostop which is thinner and just a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

10. omegary Apr 3, 2012

Hi Matty, I sold it fairly recently for £455 (roughly $728.50). It was really difficult to price as I've never seen another complete set for a Longines Ultronic and it was like a little time capsule from 1971. I probably underpriced it (I have a habit of doing that :oops:) as it sold within minutes.

Cheers,
    Gary

11. omegary Apr 3, 2012

The real beauty of Seamaster Chronostops is that lovely case and the thin profile. Here's my old one from 1967, totally original and never been refinished or messed about with. It was probably my most comfortable larger watch.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Gary

12. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 3, 2012

Thanks Gary, theres something very cool about some 70s gear, and nice to see a lovely vintage piece at an achievable price.

13. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 3, 2012

My Chronostop
    [​IMG]

14. omegary Apr 3, 2012

That's a belter Matty, don't think i've ever seen that particular Chronostop before :cool:

Cheers,
    Gary

Matty01 likes this.
  15. omegary Apr 3, 2012

Getting back on track and before this turns into another vintage Omega thread ;) , here's another example of an Ultronic I had, this time without the box and papers. I loved the deep blue dial on this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see it was in fantastic unrestored condition :)

Cheers,
    Gary

Matty01 likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2012

Judging by the serial number on the caseback that was probably an early 70's watch too. You find some wonderful watches. :thumbsup:

17. omegary Apr 3, 2012

Thanks :). I must admit this one was down to pure luck rather than any skill or good judgement on my behalf. I bought it off ebay from a seller in France, his pics and description were rubbish and fortunately that was reflected in the final price. To say I was rather pleasantly surprised when I opened the package would be an understatement.

Cheers,
    Gary

18. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 3, 2012

The 2nd or 3rd from the bottom shots would make great wallpapers :)

19. Steve Apr 4, 2012

1971.. Great watches... terrible clothes !!.

20. leeadam May 14, 2012

lush watches