Forums Latest Members
  1. JFHansen Sep 17, 2019

Dear Community,

first of all: wonderful to be a part of the community!

I recently purchased this CK2998-61 (as seen below) with all original parts (besides the No. 4 end links I think), but just can’t get used to the very fainted hours markers.
    Compared to my crisp 145.012-67 SP it looks like it has lost its character.
    What would you do in this case - relume or not?

I‘ve read earlier threads that some have had their Omega‘s relumed but with new paint.
    I was told that there is a possibility to get it relumed with old tritium paint from back in the days, but couldn’t make someone out that offers the service.

Any tips concerning the matter would be highly appreciated!

Best J

3E70E1B9-F0C6-4373-B0F9-5E4F6FE495BD.jpeg 5D961900-61F7-4448-89C2-06D0B4905401.jpeg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. BenBagbag Sep 17, 2019

@photo500 does a great job with relumes. Not sure if he uses tritium though. You'd have to ask. I think a relume may be justified here. Good luck!

JFHansen likes this.
  3. mozambique Sep 17, 2019

I stand to be corrected, but I am not sure reluming with old tritium paint (if you can find someone who has any) makes any logical sense? The change in colour over time is after the tritium is exposed to air and humidity, which will not affect liquid tritium paint stored in a bottle.
    You can certainly get it relumed with a tinted material to match aged tritium. Tricky one to ponder re. originality vs. aesthetics. For your watch given the lack of lume on the hands and the condition of the dial markers, I would lean towards a re-lume.

lando, JwRosenthal and JFHansen like this.
  4. JFHansen Sep 17, 2019

Thank you for your answer! I‘d just want to keep it as original as possible, that’s why I thought of old tritium paint so it‘ll age in a same way after time.
    But that’s exactly why I was asking, to get a connaisseurs opinion.
    Thanks again

5. JFHansen Sep 17, 2019

Thank you, very helpful! I might get back to him after hearing some more opinions.

Best J

6. w154 Sep 17, 2019

James Hyman gets a lot of recommendations on here for speedy relumes.

7. JwRosenthal Sep 17, 2019

It’s a nice looking watch but I agree, the lume hasn’t aged well and this is a prime candidate for a relume.
    You bracelet may also be the wrong size or have the wrong endlinks. There was a flatlink for the 18&19mm lugged watches as well (like my technical dialed seamaster and SM120). The correct endlinks (or bracelet) will get rid of the gap
    you have. I’ve actually been on the hunt for the smaller flatlink bracelet like this, so if you can share the clasp and endlink numbers that would be helpful so I know what to hunt for.

8. mozambique Sep 17, 2019

Ah okay get it re. Using tritium lume. Great idea if you dont mind waiting 30yrs for it to age naturally :)
    Tinting to match typical yellow / tan colour much more time efficient!

lando likes this.
  9. BenBagbag Sep 17, 2019

You can mix tritium into colored paint... It's not either or...

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 17, 2019

AFAIK no one actually relumes with old tritium, since it will no longer be measurably radioactive there is no point. What they do is use pigments that mimic patina infused with zinc sulphide which mimics how spent tritium lume behaves when stimulated (ZnS is the glowing component of tritium lume and is left behind when the tritium decays). Some older Radium lume gets reused during relumes on pre 1960s watches though as a way to fool Geiger counters but the failure mode with that is the opposite of tritium so it will emit but it won't usually glow.

Franco, Davidt and watchyouwant like this.
  11. mozambique Sep 17, 2019

Sure, but I don't think anyone does do they?
    There are modern non-tritium options if you want glow, and since most aged tritium glows weakly and only briefly, my understanding is most relumes use non-glow 'paint' options, since most prefer to not have their vintage dial glow like super-luminova.

12. Delbok Sep 17, 2019

I heard as well some dudes did use old tritium but I never had any watch in hand to see if it was good or bad. I had many watches relumed and some by JH but never using one with old tritium. The main reason being the texture of the old tritium that became really bad to work with because of its age and according to experts even when they tried to mix it with new pigment it did not give anything good... so in my case I always had new materials used for reluming and to be honest you cannot make the difference unless you are a true expert

13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 17, 2019

J, I can sell you 1 bottle of Bergeon water based tritium, if you have somebody for the job. Easy to handle because of water based.kind regards. Achim

14. aginoz Sep 17, 2019

You have a clean, original Speedy. No matter how good a job is done to relume the dial - it will forever be an altered dial. I know there are two distinct schools of thought on re-luming but consider this - once done, you can never state that the watch is original and untouched. IMO unless you use the watch as a tool and you need the lune to tell the time - leave it and enjoy the watch in all its original, untouched glory.

Socks, Dgercp and trash_gordon like this.
  15. mac_omega Sep 18, 2019

IMO there is an error in your thoughts: The watch how it is now is not original any more because it has lost most of the luminous material... it did not leave the factory this way.

16. BenBagbag Sep 18, 2019

+1 to @mac_omega above. Where do you draw the line at preserving originality? I imagine the crystal has been polished at some point in the watch's life. Maybe we should leave scratches on crystals in order to leave them in truly "untouched condition."

17. Delbok Sep 18, 2019

anyhow this is your watch so what matters to your eyes is the most important... now you have 2 questions
    Will you like it better with the perfect patina colour you always dreamt of? or you will not be able to sleep because the dial has been touched?

18. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 18, 2019

My vote as well

19. mac_omega Sep 18, 2019

But he does not do tritium nor radium reluming - I have asked him... he told me the results with old tritium were not satisfying.

20. Dgercp Sep 18, 2019

Agree 100%
    I see beauty in this dial.