Forums Latest Members
  1. Dgercp Feb 4, 2016

in general, for hands specifically, which hurts the value more, a relume or having no lume?
    More specifically thinking of speedies where the hand lume is very narrow and maybe not having it no big deal, but not having it on the chrono hand may be a bigger deal. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. lando Feb 4, 2016

My 145.012-67 SP is missing most of its chrono hand lume. No problem to me, i think it is part of the ageing process. Can't see that this does hurt value much.

While a relume would have been restoration and the watch would not be original anymore.

3. nxw1969 Feb 4, 2016

For me it would depend on the overall condition of the watch, if it was a daily wearer, a bit over polished, and not really collectors condition, then maybe go for a relume.

If it was a collectible quality watch, I would look for some replacement hands, and keep the originals safe, in case you sell it on at a later date.

Dgercp and oddboy like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

While (I believe) it may be worth less, or at least no more than before, a relume could possibly make the watch more attractive to less experienced collectors. It is my belief that it therefore opens up a different market for the seller, so I could easily see that i.e. a less interesting reference would gain quite a lot from having the lume turned more aesthetically pleasing, but it wouldn't help sell a rarer reference where the price to begin with excludes all but the most determined/knowledgable buyers...

lando likes this.