Forums Latest Members

References for tri compax service in San Francisco or Bay Area?

1. Burr Nov 18, 2019

Hi, I have a 50s tri compax that needs a service as it’s been sitting unworn for decades. I likely need to do a full movement service which I understand will cost some serious money, which I’m okay with as it would need a full service eventually. I want to ensure it’s done by someone who knows this type of watch and won’t mess it up.

Does anyone have any recommended watch makers in the sf Bay Area?

thanks!

2. Burr Jan 29, 2020

Hey all, sharing my experience of my hunt to get my Tri compax serviced and living on the west coast, in case anyone else in the area is also in the same boat as me.

Geneva Watch Repair in SF, they call out universal as a brand they repair on their website which instill some confidence for me. I called them and they also said they’ve serviced a tri compax in the past and see one about every couple years.

I also looked into About Time in San Diego who seemed knowledgeable of and has serviced a tri compax in the past.

Tick Tock in Santa Clara came up in searches, but when I called him, they didn’t seem very knowledgeable about the tri compax.

I then came across posts here on Blake Scott and sent my watch to him, but he didn’t have the right tools to get my case back off.

After I got my watch back, I went to see Geneva Watch Repair in person and they were able to get my case back off (of course I snapped a pic) and they continued to sound knowledgeable so now my watch is with them to service — they quoted 4-8 weeks and I did have to request no polish service. I communicated I wanted to keep everything as original as possible so fingers crossed.

If anyone has had any work done by Geneva Watch Repair, would love to hear your experience.

Cheers!

DBA7AAE7-768B-457F-9166-230723F64627.jpeg

wagudc likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 29, 2020

I hope they do a good job. I’ve used two different shops in Chicagoland on my collection. Neither had any issue servicing these.

Burr likes this.
  4. bgrisso Jan 31, 2020

World Time in San Jose is the one I hear about most in the Bay Area, but I've never used them before. In fact I've never used anyone in the Bay Area. I recently dropped something at ABC Watchwerks in LA, I hear they are good, as well as LA Watch Works, but those are obviously LA, not Bay Area.

Let us know how yours goes. Just getting a proper service done is one level, if parts are needed (I don't think that's likely for you), that is another level.

5. Burr Feb 1, 2020

thanks for the suggestions! Yes parts is the troublesome part which, based on my research, is why so many folks recommend Blake Scott for UG repairs, he seems to have many older vintage watch parts.

will keep ya posted on my watch repairs, just can’t wait to get it back on my wrist!

6. Burr Mar 16, 2020

Hey all, update here: got the watch back after about a month and have been wearing it (and using the chronograph) every day for the last few weeks, loving it! Pics below:

before service:
    43351C56-686D-432E-9131-089747C8AF2D.jpeg

After service:
    FE4594C0-AF63-4AF9-88D0-A36F277A443E.jpeg
    910A9534-4DFA-4C9D-BB5F-CAD07AB5750E.jpeg

Diabolik and bgrisso like this.
  7. Diabolik Mar 17, 2020

Very nice ...

Burr likes this.
  8. bgrisso Mar 17, 2020

Looks amazing. I know these are "only" mid sized, but I think they are really really nice!

Burr likes this.
  9. Burr Mar 17, 2020

Thanks! I agree this size is perfect, especially for my smaller wrists :)

10. bgrisso Mar 17, 2020

The mini pushers help as well ;)

I hope to see this in person once things calm down :thumbsup:

Burr likes this.