Forums Latest Members
  1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

Dear Experts...Purchased from trusted (brother of a colleague) Vintage dealer in person and in Paris last October. Watch looks great, signed crown etc. Question: while Ref is 2998-6 the SN 18419-771 is for a 28998-5. I read that SN's in Cal 321 is not an exact science and the dealer is an Omega Expert. Is this an issue? Pics attached. Appreciate your insights here. Since the references are so close was the factory simply using up movements they had in inventory. IMG_2410_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2640_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2644_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2646_1024.jpg

IMG_2410_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2640_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2644_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2646_1024.jpg

Edited Feb 6, 2016
  2. Dgercp Feb 6, 2016

Bigger issues than serial #. The hands may not be original (hard to tell from your pics) and the pushers look different size?

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

acccording to Speedmaster 101 hands pushers are correct. Here is better pic.
    image.jpeg

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

image.jpeg
    One more showing hands better.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 6, 2016

I am afraid I panicked at the words

"Paris Omega Expert"

Then

"trusted friend"

Then I saw the hands. And the serial. And the tired look of, well everything.

It's a tired watch. The serial is a mismatch. If it was cheap then I would be ok.

The hands can be tidied up. The movement from what I can see is ok- at least it seems to be a 2998 movement. Think it can clean up.

http://speedmaster101.com/serial-quick-reference-to-78/

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 6, 2016

Ok. The issue here is that 2998's are old, and have often been to several watchmakers over their lives. These watchmakers were often chosen for their price rather than skills as chronograph servicing costs could be out of proportion to the value At the time.

2998's were at one time unloved, inexpensive watches that did not justify the expense of a proper service.

We value original watches. As the price of these rise, so people dig around the parts drawers and pull out cases and dials, grab a sea master and build up a watch. They buy a cheap bezel ( like this one) and voila! A watch that looks nearly right.

So when I see a small problem, like a -5 serial in a -6 case, I search every other part to see if it is a build up. Because of the serial I don't think it is. I suspect a watchmaker put the wrong back on while servicing multiple speedmasters. (I was told by an old watchmaker he didn't care what back he put back on).

In this watch I would like to examine all the movement screws. See how many times they have been turned. I would like a well lit hi res look at the hands and dial.

Those h/m hands are fishy. The bezel is poor. The other hands are in poor condition. How did they get that corroded without affecting the dial,? Maybe they did, but I can't see.

If I sold this watch, as someone who values my reputation, I would have taken a naive buyer step by step through what this watch is, and could be.

As a trusted friend I would say "this is a tired watch, with dubious history, where each part is less attractive than the next. It is not a fine watch, but it can be worn daily without fear of losing value. "

It's is all down to price. And what you want.

I doubt there are many on this forum who would not buy this watch at a price, with a view to fixing those hands. I wouldn't worry about the serial.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

Thanks...I think I may have had an expensive lesson perhaps.

8. Dgercp Feb 6, 2016

Thanks, at least pushers now look same size and small. And now I see hands are proper length.
    Not sure if relumed though.

In addition, according to MWO that serial may be Ok for a 2998-6!
    So, all may be correct! But, Spacefruit has seen a zillion more of these than me

Edited Feb 6, 2016
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

I will try to get some better shots when I have time.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

Do these help? I now see what you mean. What level of clean up would be appropriate?

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 6, 2016

And thanks for all this input!

13. M'Bob Feb 6, 2016

It's one that everyone here has learned at one time...sometimes more than once.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2016

So guys, I own this watch. I like it and wear it frequently. It works flawlessly. From your input It seems basically like it's ok as a daily wearer but not worth what I paid. You also said it could become better. There are some good watchmakers in Chicago. Should I go ahead and have the hands polished and the sub-dials refinished or replaced. What about the bezel? I don't plan on selling it but I don't want to do something that would diminish what value it does retain. If I were to go the restoration route, how far should I go? Thanks again for your guidance

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 9, 2016

You could have the hands relumed with a nicer colour than that greenish colour and also have the small subdial hands repalced. Keep the chrono seconds hand though, but probably best to have it painted an off white.

Be sure to keep the movement serviced to keep it running. Great for daily wear.

Would you share what you paid for it?

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 9, 2016

I don't know anyone here who hasn't....

Adri likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2016

Spacefruit I'd love your input on my restoration question.
    Well I may as well confess..7000 Euros - Seemed like a good idea at the time. :(

oddboy likes this.
  18. Davidt Feb 9, 2016

With prices as they are. I'd expect this watch to meet or exceed that price if it were listed in an open auction on eBay.

oddboy likes this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 9, 2016

Even with the noted issues, David is likely right.. so not that bad a decision judging by market these days.

Edited Feb 9, 2016
  20. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Feb 9, 2016

Sorry to hear that:(

Some learn it sooner, some learn it later ..
    Some cheap, some expensive

I also with a speedmaster.....

The most important part is to learn and remember you on this mistake.

My 2 cents are (i have done it):

Keep it ,clean it and maybe restore it.
    But important keep it.

My Speedmaster remind me everytime how busy and impatient I was.
    I could not wait, i didn't done the research, I have broken all rules and have paid for it.

Everytime I see this watch i think oww boy you are an idiot but hey better once than twice.

It is now not my grail watch but i have fun with it and wear it often.
    And fun is the most important thing on this hobby/passion

Adri