Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 7, 2012

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

That's a LOT of money to be asking

3. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 7, 2012

Respect Member dsio

I suspect as much. Is there anything wrong with the condition of the watch?

Thank-you.

4. MyVintageOmega Dec 7, 2012

That bezel is shot and the patina is non-matching.......does the movement match the bezels condition or the dials condition.....who knows as the seller wants so much money for a watch, that has no movement photo available. Even though there is no offer does not mean it's not being watched.....and people have paid more for these although the average is much less. Interesting to watch where this one goes.::popcorn:: Just an added note (The man is a retail dealer and the price indeed still high, reflects that)

5. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 7, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

Yes, there is a mismatch here and there. I do not realize the picture of the movement is not shown. (Probably, he might have misplaced the tool, to open the back-cover.) Despite all the shortcomings, the asking price is over the top, I reckon too.

Anyway, let us see whether there is any happy ending.

Thank-you.

6. MyVintageOmega Dec 7, 2012

Resp. Membr. Seamonster...... yes, to happy endings:thumbsup:

7. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 7, 2012

Yes and hopefully, hope.

Surprisingly, I can see more well-kept vintage Submariners than vintage Omega sport watches. No respect was shown to those vintage Omega pieces. Likely those previous Omega owners think Omega is a cheapo watch compared to Rolex. As a result of which, trying to get a superb condition Omega sport watches is pain in the neck.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 7, 2012

Respectable Member Seamonster -

Perhaps it is just that the vintage Rolex folks are more skillful in their restoration efforts knowing that the right word printed in red on the right dial is worth many thousands of dollars.

That's a minefield that I don't dare enter. The money involved is just crazy!

Take care,
    gatorcpa

9. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 7, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

I think restoration is a very risky exercise. If the restorer is not sympathetic or does not respect the originality of a watch, especially its dial and furniture, as well as the original sharp edges and contour of its case, the value of a desirable collector's piece will be lost permanently.

If a watch had been well maintained and regularly serviced, I do not see any reason for it to be restored, even 50 or 60 years after its birth. Personally, I will not touch a watch that had been restored. Worse still if it comes with a service dial and service hands with luminova instead of the original tritium. There is nothing compared to one that is totally factory-original, though the dial and hands may be aged and come with even patina throughout.

I agree with you, the Submariner and Sea-Dweller with some words in red is a minefield. In view of their high desirability, most of them are not totally factory-original and this is indeed saddening.

All said, I observe the price of desirable and highly desirable vintage Omega watches is still under-priced, relative to that achieved by Rolex. I find generally, the quality and beauty of vintage Omega watches outclass Rolex, yet the price of vintage Rolex is many times over that of an Omega vintage-watch. Why is this so?

Thank-you.

10. flame Speedmaster Neil Dec 7, 2012

Hi

I dunno....but some of those 'reds' are pretty cool....:D

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

seamonster likes this.
  11. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 7, 2012

Respectable Member flame

This is one of those pretty ones from Rolex. However, the price is astronomical when compared to the price of a humble and as attractive vintage 300m. This is what I do not understand.

Thank-you.

12. Wheels Dec 9, 2012

Apart from the reds, you can get some really nice vintage untouched Rolex for reasonable outlay (reasonable by Rolex standards). Here is my 5513 from 1968. Never had any of the important visual bits touched but serviced every 3-5years it's entire life.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355088915.618804.jpg

astrosfan and seamonster like this.
  13. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2012

That's the one. :thumbsup:

Wheels likes this.
  14. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member Wheels

This is a factory-original beauty and seldom seen around.

Thank-you.

Wheels likes this.
  15. Wheels Dec 9, 2012

Thanks guys. It was a fairly lengthy search to find an unmolested example. Even the bezel is original. You can tell by how smooth it is on the edges, this photo shows it best I think. Still not changing it though ;)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355115935.516828.jpg

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

That photography looks like Jacek's, is that one of his?

17. Wheels Dec 9, 2012

I got it from Dave Gregory from WUS. I believe he got it from TRF, username Fat?? I don't take photos that well (not of watches anyway!) so I used those originals.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 10, 2012

Respectable Member Wheels

The road to achieve your goal is long and winding. Finally patience and perseverance pays.

Thank-you.

19. MyVintageOmega Dec 10, 2012

This SM300 sold for $4,163...US
    .[​IMG]

20. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 10, 2012

Apparently the good ones do not come cheap, any longer.

Thank-you.