Forums Latest Members

Recommended Watch Repair Center to Handle These Cal. 552 Issues?

1. ffej4 Survey Man Oct 31, 2016

Hi all,

I have a couple of small things to fix on my Omega Cal. 552. I purchased it as a "completely overhauled movement" with the intention of it being good to go straight out of the shoot. Unfortunately, the watchmaker I purchased it from overlooked a stripped dial screw (or a stripped thread – I'm not sure which). Below are the issues I'd like to rectify:

1. Fix the dial screw. This might require re-drilling and inserting a newer and larger screw (assuming the screw hole thread is stripped), or figuring out a way to remove the current screw (assuming the screw itself is what is stripped). I don't want to risk wearing my watch over a long period of time with the dial attached by only one screw.

2. Fix the second hand sweep stutter. This sounds like a simple fix. To quote @ulackfocus from an older thread, "it happens when the pressure on the indirect seconds mechanism is incorrectly set".

3. Finally, the beat error is running at about 0.8 – 0.9, and if possible, I'd like to get it down. I've read that the usual tolerances for old movements is anywhere between 0.1 – 0.3.

Overall though, the movement is keeping good time (about +3.6 seconds per day) and appears to be in very good cosmetic condition. The amplitude is sitting at about 300 degrees, and the movement has clearly been serviced as of recent. The oil looks fresh and everything else appears to be working as expected.

With that said, does anyone have recommendations for watchmakers who are particularly familiar with old Omega movements? I'd prefer to keep this in the USA to reduce shipping/import fees.

Also, thank you to @Archer for being a tremendous help. You are an incredible watchmaker and an unbelievable resource to this community.

Thanks, everyone!