Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

I think in our cynical bargain hunting brains we forget how few truly exceptional pieces we actually see- I mean truly exceptional. We see clean, we see cool, we see diamonds in the rough or great potential- but exceptional examples are indeed rarities for vintage watches. Sometimes we can’t rationalize exceptional. Sure if it’s not your style or you really don’t need another of that type then it’s a moot point, but if the watch checks all your boxes and it’s spectacular, the premium is worth more than the regret one will feel for passing on it over what is essentially the cost of dinner in many cases.

Another example of not living with regret:
I have a problem with Zodiac Seawolfs, I always hunted for the bargain, have a decent parts stash and watch the market pretty regularly. I know the variants, can spot a Franken or redial- they are great bargain divers (well, we’re bargains not long ago) with lots to love.
This thing popped up on eBay
A75B745B-583E-4850-ADB8-559DB57026E1.jpeg

MkIV dial and hands in a MKIII case & bezel which makes it a transitional model, original bracelet, stunning crack free bezel and most likely never saw a polishing wheel. Seller was asking $750 for it which then was almost double what a regular Seawolf would have fetched. As these were my thing I said no- it’s way overpriced, I know what these things are worth and that seller is insane…but it’s a rare model, and impeccable, with the bracelet….I lasted about 20 minutes obsessing over the photos and just bought it. Not only do I not regret it, but I haven’t seen another like it since. I wouldn’t sell it for thrice what I paid.

I think I paid about $750 for this one and haven't looked back. Original box and flex oyster (riveted) bracelet made it a no brainer.

sea wolf.jpg

Seawolf 2.jpg
Edited:

I think I paid about $750 for this one and haven't looked back. Original box and flex oyster (riveted) bracelet made it a no brainer.

sea wolf.jpg

Seawolf 2.jpg
Yup, no brainer. Sure you could have gotten a slightly brassy one, no bracelet, polished to a nub case, and dark ashy lume for $400….but fuck that shit- go for the gold and be done.

That’s a great price! Seller also has a nice collection of Case XX knives if anyone collects them

Had make an offer so I tried for 55 and he accepted.

Had make an offer so I tried for 55 and he accepted.
Nice! The Seiko BOR’s pop up often on eBay, would be a slick pairing

Nice! The Seiko BOR’s pop up often on eBay, would be a slick pairing

Pretty sure I have one those squirreled away somewhere

Not a bargain alert but a feast or famine alert. The private watch sales section is bursting with some pretty incredible watches right now that are not your everyday ho-hum watches- some real rarities up for sale right now.
if you don’t frequent the sales section here go check it out right now- Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus is right around the corner and who doesn’t love buying gifts for one’s self.

(had somehow mistakenly put this over in the Omega bargains thread)

What. a. Dial.

1314549-8a442820e736b698e619dfbe2ec80f2e.jpg

with BIN and make offer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313736230537?epid=1101468246&hash=item490c22f689:g:CHsAAOSwNjhhga6e
Edited by a mod:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I have that exact watch with a white dial. Not in that kind of shape, but paid $25 for it a few years ago.

With a box!
gatorcpa

Zodiac Seawolf patina with new crystal ... quite cheap for a seawolf? Hands look too new? Out of place?

Zodiac Seawolf.jpg

Zodiac Seawolf patina with new crystal ... quite cheap for a seawolf? Hands look too new? Out of place?

Zodiac Seawolf.jpg

At very least the hands have been re-lumed. I also think they should have a metal strip down the middle, like the one pictured below. Perhaps ts bunch of lume was slathered over the middle part.

s-l400.jpg