Forums Latest Members

Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

1. Nepomuceño May 3, 2021

I can't really comment on if this speedmaster is a bargain as I know next to nothing about em but usually this thread is non omega specific as it is in the 'Other Watch Brands' section. You could always post this watch in the recommended ebay Omega section :thumbsup:

2. FrenchBigCrown May 3, 2021

Ah! Fair enough. No problem.

3. wagudc May 3, 2021

This watch may or may not be a good deal, but it is 100-fold the the price of the typical offering on this thread. You just joined the forum and have posted this watch in at least two threads already. Your motives very well may be good, but a skeptic might think you are trying to pump a watch that you are listing yourself.

At this price, it would be good to have its own thread so all the Speedmaster experts can weigh in. For example, I am skeptical of the explanation of the flat tailed chrono hand.

4. FrenchBigCrown May 3, 2021

Let's hope you guys don't treat a new user with too much skepticism then. :)

Not my watch on Ebay... I just saw it while searching and thought it might be of interest to someone here.

Apologies if I've screwed up.

vintage hab likes this.
  5. wagudc May 3, 2021

I just reread your other post, and I think I got you wrong. Please accept my apologies, and welcome to the forum.

6. FrenchBigCrown May 3, 2021

No worries.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Robert M, Spruce and wagudc like this.
  7. JwRosenthal May 3, 2021

As did I, I thought you were asking about the watch, not sharing it. I don’t shop speedy’s nor know the market as I’ve owned mine for 20 years. I know there are members in this thread that would be just as happy buying a $20k speedy as a $200 Bulova if they are a great value. Perhaps the more Speedy experts here can weigh in on the value of this one.

FrenchBigCrown, wagudc and Spruce like this.
  8. timoss May 3, 2021

I wouldn't call it a good value. If you buy his story, then best case scenario it might not be a rip off. If you don't buy his story and/or it's a franken, it is way overpriced. Neither qualifies it as a "recommended good value"....

9. FrenchBigCrown May 3, 2021

Blimey!

Tough crowd here. :(

I already apologised, up there ^.

Jonathan40 and wagudc like this.
  10. timoss May 3, 2021

Didn't mean that to sound harsh, or directed at you. Since the question of its value came up, thought I'd add my .02 is all...

wagudc likes this.
  11. timoss May 3, 2021

I might add that there have been some GREAT values on Speedy's right here on the forum in the last month or so. Prolly could have posted them here...

12. Andrew C May 3, 2021

It's alright, man. Sending virtual hugs!

FrenchBigCrown and wagudc like this.
  13. FrenchBigCrown May 3, 2021

:D

14. FrenchBigCrown May 3, 2021

No worries. :)

15. wagudc May 3, 2021

16. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 3, 2021

In addition to this thread being about great deals, we often have side discussions on the pieces we share. Sometimes they are criticisms with breakdowns/examples as to why they are criticisms, and sometimes we laud the pieces that are shared. However, none of the criticism is directed at the person that shared them. If you stick around, I’m sure you’ll have fun in this thread. The reason you got the initial responses you did is because 1) this listing is about 100x the value of what is often shared and 2) there have been a few brand new members that have snuck the eBay listings in here, which is frowned upon. While it’s not normal this thread received listings in the thousands, it has happened because those listings were genuine values for what they were. Anyways, hope you enjoy this thread :thumbsup:

FrenchBigCrown and wagudc like this.
  17. wagudc May 3, 2021

Indeed many of us (myself included) have recommended watches that did not hold up to the scrutiny of the crowd. Many careful eyes and critical evaluations add a lot of value to this thread.

18. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 3, 2021

Yeah, the first piece I ever shared in here was a $100 Sheffield skin diver that I quickly learned was a single jewel plated throw away piece that wasn’t worth the better part of $20 haha! It happens. This thread has easily become my favorite though for the conversations that take place. And, has been a great resource for learning.

AustinCambridge, Syzygy and wagudc like this.
  19. Spruce Sunburst dial fan May 3, 2021

I think I agree with you about the basis of this thread.
    I’ve always thought that it was to alert OF members about a watch that might be interesting and competitively priced.
    As @wagudc says, sometimes the watches are not as good as might have been hoped or they have defects that might not have been spotted by the poster.
    I appreciate that the heading refers to ‘Recommended' but I’ve never put any store in that..

Robert M and FrenchBigCrown like this.
  20. timoss May 3, 2021

Same here. Those who have hesalite crystals shouldn't throw stones...

thelinendial and wagudc like this.