Forums Latest Members

Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

1. JwRosenthal Jan 12, 2021

My 490SS says hi
    F4D6440D-0556-4B70-A47B-1EA055B6B974.jpeg

Ohmeguh, Spruce, COYI and 2 others like this.
  2. wagudc Jan 12, 2021

JwRosenthal, Scarecrow Boat and DaveK like this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2021

hi @wsfarrell

I would disagree with you on your take on spam in keyword search. Seller just trying to expose his her watch to a broader base.

If you are really saying if a seller has a watch with a good price but you won’t purchase due to keyword spam ? That is your choice.

best regards and good hunting

bill

4. loniscup Jan 12, 2021

5. loniscup Jan 12, 2021

Lovely piece!! What is the size?

6. Mafkees Jan 12, 2021

You just contradicted yourself by defining 'keyword spam' in your second sentence.

7. JwRosenthal Jan 12, 2021

33mm. I started collecting Gruen bumpers when I was in college- they were cheap ($35-50) and ran for years without servicing (broke college student). Stainless cases (Guildite) high quality Swiss movements, plus they have that “ping-pong” sound that I love so much from bumpers. I focused on the pre-‘49 “Switzerland” dials which was before the sell-off.

loniscup likes this.
  8. wsfarrell Jan 12, 2021

Bill,

I understand that the seller is just trying to expose his watch to a broader view. The problem I have is when sellers falsely describe the item they are listing. Buyers and sellers are both hurt with keyword spam. An honest seller is hurt because fewer people will see his listing. Buyers are hurt because their search results are full of stuff they have no interest in, making it harder to find what they are interested in.

This is why eBay has labeled the practice "keyword spam" and has prohibited it. I was searching recently for a Gillette Fatboy razor--a fairly desirable model. I came across this listing for a Flare Tip--a much less desirable model: "Gillette Flare Tip Rocket Travel Fatboy Razor." (The Rocket is also desirable and rare. None of these are travel razors.) I reported the listing.

Do you really think it's okay for someone selling a Seiko dive watch to reach a broader audience with a listing title like "Seiko Dive Watch Rolex Submariner Sea Dweller"?

The Other Bill

Edited Jan 12, 2021
  9. wsfarrell Jan 12, 2021

More eBay troubles. I bid on the Certina seen here a few days ago and won it for $234. I paid, then got this note from the seller:

sorry sir but this is my first time selling anything on ebay .not sure how all this works but I can not sell this watch for that price

I told him to refund my money and list the watch at a fixed price. He said he didn't have the money yet so couldn't refund it. He did manage to relist the watch in approximately two minutes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/preowned-invicta-men-watch/313379009311Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

cert.jpg

I'm not worried about getting my money back, but this is really annoying.

10. Professor Jan 12, 2021

Actually "Escafandra" is Spanish for Diving Suit and/or Scuba Diving.
    It could easily become conflated with the English word "Submariner".

11. vintage hab Jan 12, 2021

That's brutal. I actually also bid on that watch, so kinda glad that I didn't get it. Hmmm... maybe I cost you a few dollars :(.

DaveK likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jan 12, 2021

Relisted with a BIN for $1.3k- he figured out how to use the BIN feature, didn’t he. Hope he really likes that watch, he’ll be keeping it a while at that price

13. wsfarrell Jan 12, 2021

Yes indeed.

14. Dsplash Jan 12, 2021

I participated too, until 222...Guess I’m not that bummed from losing it anymore!
    Good luck, Donny forget to destroy the seller in the comments!

15. Jonathan40 Jan 12, 2021

You refund will take around 10 days. Four weeks ago bought a Glycine £279 was one of the new ones and a good price. I think the seller was disappointed at the price and 5 minutes after I paid on Sunday evening he emailed to say that he’d refunded the money because as he was packing it up to post he dropped it on the floor with the glass shattering and it wasn’t working. I didn’t even ask for pictures. Annoying thing was I paid cash from PayPal straight away and he said he refunded straight away but PayPal took 10 days to actually re-credit my account.
    Decided to follow him as a seller and see when it pops up.
    Sorry for your issues it was a nice watch.

16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2021

Hi @Malakias

I was quoting @wsfarrell post and commenting I was not in agreement. To boycot seller who use keyword spamming. Not easy to show intent of sellers...

Eitherway

Good Hunting
    Bill

17. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2021

Sorry that happened to you .. I would report that to ebay.

Spruce and Thommas like this.
  18. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2021

Hi Wsfarrell

let me know if you want more vintage Gillette. .... Red Dot etc.... I have a box of stuff ....

Best
    bill

Syzygy likes this.
  19. rcs914 Jan 12, 2021

That's absolutely against the rules and they should ban his account for that. There are all sorts of BS ways that sellers can weasel out of a sale they don't want to make (I dropped it and broke it, etc. etc) but this guy obviously doesn't know anything based on the title. And that Certina seemed to me to be worth about what it sold for. $800 is a joke for a starting price, and $1300 BIN is ludicrous.

The seller is obligated to ship the watch out at the price it sold for and doing otherwise is definitely a violation of ebays terms, especially the way he basically just told you "I don't like the price it ended up at so I'm not selling it". This dude needs to have ebay come down on him.

wsfarrell and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. vintage hab Jan 12, 2021

I reported him, and I didn't even win the watch. I also sent him a message:
    Me: "why are you relisting this item? It was sold at auction this afternoon"
    Seller: "It was a mistake. Im new at this...Truly sorry"

He then relisted the watch (worth about $250) with a starting price of $800 and BIN $1300. Crazy ::screwloose::

Spruce, wsfarrell and DaveK like this.