Forums Latest Members

Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2020

by the crown? looks more like old DNA... dead skin etc...

hahaha in any case looks fun....

best
    bill

2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Dec 8, 2020

Yup, that was the first thing I saw. I just appreciate the engine turned bezel. I found this specific bezel style fascinating when I was looking for my Air King.

It looks like the plating is wearing off, which can be seen here
    FF32AF6A-8880-4A37-9734-D98CEF831A10.jpeg

JwRosenthal likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal Dec 8, 2020

My best friend’s father in high school was a bit of a stock trader and had done well at it (physician by trade). On a random Monday morning he woke with an uneasy feeling and had planned to call his broker with a large sell order. He decided to use the toilet first, then called his broker- it was October 17, 1987- black Monday. He lost $400k that day, said it was the most expensive shit he had ever taken.

Bencherman, Syzygy, Ohmeguh and 3 others like this.
  4. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2020

OK..... I misread.... I was thinking bezel.... I see what your saying... agree but I dont think that would stop me...

Best
    bill

JwRosenthal likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Dec 8, 2020

Not at all- for $100, not a problem with that dial and bezel- it’s not bad. Just wanted to make sure people saw it and went in eyes open.

Bill Sohne likes this.
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2020

totally agree.... LIke I said "MISSING ANTI MAG CAP"

best
    bill

7. Ohmeguh Dec 8, 2020

Jesus christ lol great story....Hold in your shit! Got it!

Gav1967 and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. wagudc Dec 8, 2020

I am glad it worked out. I look forward to seeing future wrist shots on WRUW.

9. Norfolk Dec 8, 2020

Also reminds me of a story - back in Pre-Big Bang London Stock Exchange times....was working on trading floor then. All the stock broking firms were getting bought by rich US and German banks for insane prices....a (married) partner at one of them was caught with his secretary having carnal relations on a desk in the office a month before an unannounced takeover. He was reduced from partner to salaried employee and forefited his percentage stake in the firm... which cost him approx 500k sterling when the eventual buyout was made public. Everyone knew him and the story and he rapidly became known as the man who had the most expensive shag in London....

JwRosenthal, 89-0 and Ohmeguh like this.
  10. Ohmeguh Dec 8, 2020

Jwrosenthal he has you beat. It must of been one hell of a shag. Hope he married her and had kids.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Dec 8, 2020

Moral of both stories- always keep it in your pants.

Syzygy likes this.
  12. Syzygy Dec 8, 2020

There's a very high percentage likelihood that marrying and having kids would have simply doubled or tripled the cost of that shag! Just sayin...

Back to watches. This just in, and I'm loving it! Can't remember if this was posted on this thread, but this thread definitely lead me to the deal.
    Accutron.jpg

Edited Dec 8, 2020
    Spruce, DaveK, Thommas and 3 others like this.
  13. wagudc Dec 8, 2020

Get yourself a sound analyzer app and hold your watch up to the mic. You should see a spike at 360hz. It gives me a thrill every time (yes, I am a nerd). I use one called Spectroid on Android.

My Accutron:

Screenshot_20201206-074425_Spectroid.jpg

And on an f300 watch:

Screenshot_20201205-114630_Spectroid.jpg

14. Syzygy Dec 8, 2020

@wagudc, this purchase was heavily influenced by you indeed, your insights are appreciated!

Now...sound...do you hear the overtones? 360hz, yes, pressed up tight against the ear, but there's a much much higher pitch that stands out with it about a centimeter or so away from surface of ear...sounds like tinnitus, at 3600hz.

I'm a nerd too...I'll never forget the first day of class at acoustical physics when the professor showed up with an old school set of headphones, a Walkman, and a particle board with a hole cut in the center. Standing at the front of the class, he hit play, held the headphones up, and asked the class to raise their hands if they could hear it....5, maybe 8 rows at the front raised their hands. He then placed the headphone behind the hole in the board, pointing towards the class....the whole room raised their hand...this was at Penn State...about 1,200 seats in the class..."Welcome to Acoustical Physics! Any questions?!?"

DaveK, JwRosenthal and wsfarrell like this.
  15. kaapstadflaneur Dec 9, 2020

I've been stalking this particular Seamaster Ref 168.050 for several months; it's been on eBay for a long time and has also appeared from time to time on Chrono24. I haven't pulled the trigger because of the missing inner anti-magnetic/dust cover. I've spoken to my local Omega service center in Cape Town and they couldn't provide any information on whether the inner movement cover was available from Omega or not, so I would speculate probably not. As @Bill Sohne said, this watch has the correct bracelet and endlinks, which is a major plus, and the dial looks to be in fairly decent shape (for some reason lots of the Seamaster racing dials have rust/corrosion problems).

16. adrian scott Dec 9, 2020

Just a big THANK YOU to the site Omegaforums.net and this thread for all the help, advice and learning.
    Here are two of my latest buys. Buler Seaflower broad arrow (p.136 JwRosenthal) and the gold Bulova (p.139 Nepomuceno)
    Thank you - I'm very pleased with them!

Bulerdiver Dec 2020.jpg

Bulova Dec 2020.jpg

17. Engee Dec 9, 2020

Love that Seaflower.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Dec 9, 2020

Holy crap- that Seaflower is a stunner! We all love an engine turned bezel!

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal Dec 9, 2020

When I got my first hummer (Bulova rail) I laid it flat on my mahogany dresser when I went to bed- I heard it humming across the room- the dresser acted like a resonating chamber. It lives in a drawer now on a piece of pipe insulation.

20. wagudc Dec 9, 2020

Yes, I can hear and see the overtone on the Accutron. Now you need an f300 to round out the collection.

20201209_060847.jpg

Syzygy and DaveK like this.