Forums Latest Members

Recommended Good Value / Vintage - New Deals On EBAY & other Auctions

1. Nepomuceño Nov 12, 2020

Screenshot_20201111-221833.png
    DaveK and Professor like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2020

Did someone here buy the Hammy Fontainebleau? That was one slick watch, and would be a great intro to collect the whole set ::stirthepot::

Thommas likes this.
  3. SadKen Nov 12, 2020

Not me, It was gone by the time i saw your post this morning James.

I have managed not to jump the gun & dive in with another purchase due to your excellent post last week regarding the " fit " of a watch on the wrist.
    It had not occurred to me that my Wittnauer would provide such an issue.
    I got it back from a service last week and instantly put it on but, it has quite long lugs & my wrist being all skin and bone it just wont sit right.
    It keeps sliding around and constantly needs straightening :mad:
    I love it but it may have to wait until i put some timber on.

For now i am rocking a Cartier Santos Ronde as my daily beater, at 32.5mm and very thin it sits lovely on my wrist.
    Yes it is a Quartz & i apologise for it :whipped: i am still on the lookout for a Proper Watch that fits better though.

Thx again for all your very helpful posts :thumbsup:

4. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2020

Glad the advise helped. I wasn’t trying to dissuade anyone from buying anything they like, just wanted to give food for thought. I still have a few watches I love that fit me horribly (like the offending Tag and Speedy), but they don’t get worn much.
    As I have gotten older, I have become more fussy about ergonomics (maybe a little OCD at times). I am far less tolerant of discomfort than I was when I was younger. About 10 years ago I was noticing foot and leg pain I hadn’t noticed before. I tried insoles, orthotics, etc. I finally had a single pair of custom shoes made and I was shocked at how well they fit, all my pain went away, I could stand and walk for hours without fatigue- it was a friggin miracle!
    I since have had several shoes and boots made by the same company and ended up selling off a very large and expensive collection of fantastic shoes/ boots (Tickers, Loake, Alden, C&J etc) and although it “hurt” to see them go, I don’t miss the discomfort.

Professor and SadKen like this.
  5. Norfolk Nov 12, 2020

5% EBay cash back Bucks today for any fence sitters!

I pulled trigger on a couple of things....

DaveK likes this.
  6. 140dave Nov 12, 2020

First posting to this thread, though a frequent lurker. Thanks folks, this has become a favorite thread for many of us I believe, I look frequently even if I never “plan” to buy anything posted. To give back for your time I thought I would offer a freebie. Based on the amount of Bulova featured here I can assume someone “needs” this box. :)
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Free to a good home, only requirements are; you must have posted in this thread at least once prior to this post and you must have a US shipping address. Since I am literally paying to give this away I would like to minimize that cost. Box is in good shape, not perfect but worth the asking price. ;) Shoot me a PM and claim your box. And again, thanks for taking your time to make a fun thread!

COYI, Sam11, Thommas and 9 others like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2020

Very nice offer! Box is early 60’s if that guides anyone for an appropriate match

DaveK and TDBK like this.
  8. wagudc Nov 12, 2020

I'm surprised. ;)

Seriously though thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Norfolk and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Nov 12, 2020

My wife would very much like the Cartier whenever you are done with it :whistling:

SadKen and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2020

There are a few quartz watches that get a pass in my book (I stress few). The Cartier’s are top of the list- even though not my taste, I respect their position as a crossover fashion watch maker (the words Tank and Cartier can’t be separated). Yes. - mechanical would be preferable, but the quartz gets a pass.
    The Marathon Navigator (my wife has one) and the CWC military watches get a pass as they are issued watches and spec’d as quartz.
    Omega pre-Bond Seamaster as well as the Heuer 1000 Professional also get a pass - they were products of the 80’s and like blow-everyone was doing it back then.

Hummers (tuning fork movements- get your mind out of the gutter), are not quartz and are marvels of engineering, so Accutron and Omega f300’s are immune from the quartz hatred.

And Dave’s wife wants your Cartier if that hasn’t been mentioned already. ;)

SadKen, Gav1967 and DaveK like this.
  11. rcs914 Nov 12, 2020

For me any of the (very small number) of High Accuracy Quartz movements gets a pass. The Longines VHP, Citizen's "The Citizen", etc. All thermocompensated and accurate to 10 seconds per year or less, independent of external correction from a radio signal. They are pretty amazing feats of engineering.

But honestly my most worn watch is a Casio Oceanus solar/RC 3-hander in titanium.

DaveK likes this.
  12. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 12, 2020

What about Omega Marine Chronometer megaquartz and Rolex oysterquartz?

Norfolk likes this.
  13. SadKen Nov 12, 2020

I am not sure Dave's wife would appreciate the Burgundy dial though, which is not the norm with these.
    The white dial with roman numerals are not my thing, i like a bit of colour.
    Here is a crappy picture i snapped when i first got it, the bezel needs a sympathetic polish as you can see.

IMG_5558.JPG

14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 12, 2020

I am sorry and no offence implied but

tenor.gif

89-0 likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2020

The Omega Marine Chronometer eeks by IMO, but Rolex can suck it.

Edited Nov 12, 2020
    Gav1967 likes this.
  16. Wuza72 Nov 12, 2020

what a nice gesture:thumbsup:

COYI, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. Norfolk Nov 12, 2020

+1 for the MC. Read more here...
    https://chronopedia.club/Omega_Marine_Chronometer
    Omega really upped their game with the whole beta21 thing. And don’t forget the Megasonic which is insanely complicated. Jewels bouncing in a box...I kid you not. Google it. The f2.4mill Connies are supremely at the top of the electronic 1970s mountain. I love (and have them) all. But god help us if one goes wrong....

18. wagudc Nov 12, 2020

Edited Nov 12, 2020
    JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. Nepomuceño Nov 12, 2020

Nice Bulova with what seems to be the original bracelet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264936063470Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Screenshot_20201112-191252.png
    DaveK, wagudc and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2020

1973! Oh yes it is absolutely 1973. I’ve never seen this design before from Bulova, but it rivals the Omega Dynamics for a fraction of the price.
    Stainless case and bracelet, radial sunburst two-tone dial, matching blue bezel, 40mm so it’s sizable, and last gasp of the Bulova in-house movements.
    This is totally a statement piece.

B1100337-81C3-4E2F-9BFE-14FDAF923776.png
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/254776630181Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

DaveK, Professor and wagudc like this.