Forums Latest Members

Recommendations for leather strap?

1. RJONES999 Dec 22, 2019

Hi All,

Picked up a Omega Aqua Terra 41mm earlier this year - with the date at the 6'oclock window - it comes with a Nato strap and looking to replace it with a black leather strap.
    Had a look at my local dealer and they advertise the Omega branded straps at £200!!! which sounds a little expensive.

I've had a look on amazon/etsy/ebay and they have different sizes e.g 21mm strap, 20mm strap, 19mm strap.

Main questions are:

What size should I pick up for a 41mm?
    Any recommendations for what company to use, or website etc to purchase from?

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 22, 2019

Ok ... size relates to the gap in mm between lugs. Nothing to do with case size. You either need to measure or look up the spec online. Then you need a strap tool and some technical instruction ( see you tube) .. Good straps are not cheap. There is a thread on Watch Strap resources here via the search function. You also need to measure your wrist size to make sure the strap is long enough.

Texans93 and DaveK like this.
  3. vicsdca Dec 22, 2019

At the Omega boutique, you only get the strap for $200, you also have to pay for the deployment buckle on top of that.

4. PhilF Dec 22, 2019

If you are going the leather strap route, straps on a deployant clasp will totally outlast most any strap with a conventional buckle, also less risk of dropping the watch while putting it on. Go for the deployant, buy once, cry once.

5. funkright Dec 22, 2019

so true :thumbsup:

PhilF likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 22, 2019

This I did not know. Interesting.

7. PhilF Dec 22, 2019

The deployant clasp doesn't flex the strap at it's weakest point, the buckle holes. Virtually every leather strap I've had with a buckle eventually cracked there. My wife went through several $200+ straps on her Breitling Lady J, all were padded straps, each lasted about 12-18 months. As you can see my avatar has an Omega deployant strap, have one coming for my Speedmaster 38mm Coaxial, I'll post pictures when it comes. My Speedy Pro is currently on it's bracelet.

Porker likes this.
  8. Strangedream Dec 23, 2019

Traditionally, a nicely proportioned watch would fit a strap that's half the diagonal of the case, however this isn't true for every watches. You can check out Hirschstraps and Clockwork Synergy. I think a dark crocodile leather strap that matches the dial color would look pretty sleek on an Aqua Terra.

9. base615 Dec 23, 2019

for some people they’re unwearable though. I’d ensure you try it in, properly sized, before buying. I bought and couldn’t wear it.

Personally, I like the straps from B and R Bands. Good value and they do them in different lengths.

Syrte likes this.
  10. JohnnyRocket Dec 26, 2019

I have recently purchased a Wonderfully hand crafted Gator strap for my 63 piepan Constellation.
    If You really want high Quality, and Beautiful aesthetics Look up
    Genteel - Handmade.com in the U.K.
    George is a pleasure to deal with in every aspect. Great materials and a wide range of product choices.
    In fact...I planning to get a smokin hot Dark Blue Gator deployment strap to customize My Blue Ti. P.O. In the new year. My Connie now sports the Cognac Brown Gator with the Matching Brown Stitching.
    Check them out ! View attachment 896687 View attachment 896689 C78A640E-4D32-454F-8FB4-CE7FDB778E6E.jpeg 74DC11D5-9E5C-4870-9AAF-23A31179918D.jpeg

Porker and adibou like this.
  11. MarmosetJKM Dec 30, 2019

I purchase most of my straps from Jones in Tokyo on Etsy. They compare favorably to every other strap I've tried (including Hirsch, Fluco, and the OEM Omega strap that came on my FOIS). He'll customize the dimensions however you'd like.

12. loniscup Dec 30, 2019

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 30, 2019

Look for a thread I started a long time ago about genuine crocodile straps from Viet Nam. The prices are ridiculously low.

Tom

14. RARJ Feb 11, 2020

In fairness to the factory Omega straps they are of amazing quality. I have several that are well over 5 years old and still look perfect. When you factor in their durability it makes them a pretty good option.

Plus you spent all that money on a beautiful watch - why put a cheap strap on it? Go OEM, you won't regret it.

PhilF, Texans93 and Graemega like this.
  15. PhilF Feb 18, 2020

Ok, the 18/16mm strap & deployant clasp arrived. MUCH easier to deal with than the butterfly clasp on the bracelet. Totally changes the appearance and feel of the 38mm Speedmaster. The more I wear this, the more I like it. Now I have the same style/color straps on both the 42 & 38, I'm impressed with the comfort compared to the bracelets as well as the different look. image0.jpeg

Happy and Graemega like this.
  16. f18sailor Feb 18, 2020

I bit the bullet and purchased original Omega with deployant for my AT. I wanted the curved ends and those are hard to find in the right width and spring bar location. Local AD gave me a decent discount.

aqua terra leather 2.jpg

PhilF and Wetworks like this.
  17. Graemega Feb 18, 2020

Any more pictures Phil?
    I got the Speedmaster 38 last November- been thinking about getting a leather strap as well (I’ll probably go for black rather than brown)

The guy in the OB who I spoke to said you couldn’t get a 16mm deployant buckle to fit the strap, wasn’t sure I believed him at the time!
    What part reference is the buckle?
    How long is the strap? Regular or short version?

PhilF likes this.
  18. PhilF Feb 18, 2020

20200218_171453.jpg
    Strap is regular length, unbuckled with the watch it's just over 9" fits my 8" wrist with the pin in the clasp in the 3rd hole in. #CUZ007437 on the strap, only # I can find on the clasp is #94521633, not sure if that's meaningful. I know it took my AD in Maryland about a month to get it from Omega. I know locating the longer strap was not easy. If you PM me I can give you the contact information for the guy there I have dealt with for 35 years, he can most likely hook you up with the proper band and clasp.

Edited Feb 18, 2020
    Graemega likes this.
  19. PhilF Feb 18, 2020

Here's one in better light image3.jpeg

Graemega likes this.
  20. mk2rick Feb 18, 2020

Have a look at genteel handmade straps ! They are pretty solid and I have one made with them for my CK2998