Forums Latest Members

Recommendation: Omega Railmaster or Rolex Explorer

1. AQBill Aug 7, 2018

Dear Fellow Omega Enthusiasts,

I am perplexed by a (good) dilemma as I am considering which watch to purchase in my ongoing efforts to sustain the Swiss Watch Market and truth, justice and the American Way. I am attracted to both watches and I might, in time, acquire one of each. The Omega is certainly bigger and brighter on the wrist and the Rolex (in 36mm case size) appeals to my more solid-citizen side. I already have both an old school 1945-vintage Omega bumper and a 1993-vintage SMP diver but have yet to dip my toes in the Rolex ocean as of yet.

Please help me resolve my conundrum - and - if you have either one for sale, please tempt me with an offer.

Cheers,
    AQBill

EatMan likes this.
  2. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 7, 2018

PRE-OWNED ROLEX EXPLORER II 16570
    Our Price$5,950.00
    This one is at Govberg it would be an interesting choice

3. many Aug 7, 2018

I think he is interested in a 36mm Explorer I.

kkt likes this.
  4. AQBill Aug 7, 2018

Yes indeed, it is the Explorer I that I covet...

5. Dan S Aug 7, 2018

kkt, Pun, Kmart and 1 other person like this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 7, 2018

If you covet it, why are you even asking?

7. gostang9 Aug 7, 2018

I’ll never understand how a grown man, simultaneously:

- has the ability to sign up with a user name on a public forum

- has the self confidence to start an entirely new thread that many strangers around the world will read and evaluate

- does not have the ability to independently choose what watch to buy

8. many Aug 7, 2018

Forums are littered with posts of people that don’t know what watch to buy. For a lot of people thousands of dollars is a lot of money to spend on a watch. Additionally, it can be even harder if you aren’t familiar with buying in a way that doesn’t mean you take an instant 20 to 40% depreciation as soon as you walk out the AD or OBs door. That can be daunting.

Watchmutt, EatMan and AQBill like this.
  9. AQBill Aug 7, 2018

I do, indeed, have the ability to independently choose. I was hoping for some collective wisdom!

Watchmutt, EatMan and SuperHero like this.
  10. gostang9 Aug 7, 2018

Choosing a particular non-essential luxury good to purchase has nothing to do with wisdom. It’s a personal choice, and any dilemma in narrowing down a selection between multiple options is a first-world problem of the n’th degree and should be made by the individual suffering from the paradox of choice.

Buy the watch you like the most. If you like them both equally, buy them both. Can’t afford them both now, buy one first and wait to buy the next when you can. If you can’t make that choice, then sell your car, your house, your bicycle, or your body. Whatever it takes... man up and get it done! But don’t for gawd sake ask random people on the internet to choose for you.

mayankyadav likes this.
  11. gostang9 Aug 7, 2018

That nonsense belongs on WUS, TRF or any other WIS site. Leave it off OF. This is a much more serious site and shouldn’t be bogged down with that kind of silliness.

12. Riviera Paradise Aug 7, 2018

Yeah, you need to grow a pair before you can post on the OF:D
    Live_Action_Squirrel_With_Big_Balls.png

PS. I am sure this image has been used before on the OF, just can't recall when.

Watchmutt, Uniqez, pippy and 3 others like this.
  13. Riviera Paradise Aug 7, 2018

Are you thinking of the Railmaster 60th LE? Check out this superb post by our resident RM 60th LE expert....

https://omegaforums.net/threads/“christine”-my-’57-le-railmaster-a-reality-check.64492/

Longbow, jB1128 and Darlinboy like this.
  14. AQBill Aug 7, 2018

Differing perspectives are always interesting but you're taking this way too seriously.

trebor2, mayankyadav and many like this.
  15. gostang9 Aug 7, 2018

Yeah, maybe. But I read nonstop threads like this on other Forums and found OF a relief because it was different. I would much prefer that you go through whatever internal anguish necessary to settle on one of them, buy it, then start a thread with pictures and insight on the watch and why you’re happy or not happy with it. Then I might learn something, or at least be amused. Your question opens the door for an Omega vs Rolex debate that doesn’t get anyone anywhere positive. Every watch is different, and everyone has different tastes. Ultimately the only opinion that matters is yours. If I tell you I love one and hate the other, it won’t change how you feel about whatever watch you choose when you’re putting it on in the morning.

Personally, I love my Rolex Explorer II (216570 modern 42mm with black dial).
    - Some people love it
    - some people hate it because it’s too big
    - some people prefer the previous smaller version
    - some prefer the polar dial
    - some hate the cyclops
    - some prefer the GMT xxxx version
    - some think everyone who buys a Rolex is an arrogant narcissistic arse hat
    - some think I’ve joined the best private owners club in the world by getting a coroner
    - 99.5% of the worlds population don’t give a flying bats sh*t what I wear

I didn’t care when I bought it, I didn’t ask anyone else (except my wife, as she is important to me), and no one else’s opinion mattered.

16. Buck2466 Aug 7, 2018

Is that you Dennis?:D

kkt, Longbow and EatMan like this.
  17. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2018

My top choices for you, in order:

36mm 1016 Explorer (one is allowed to dream)
    [​IMG]

36mm 2504.52 Railmaster (on the more affordable side, but may be hard to find)
    [​IMG]

36mm 14270 Explorer (with lug holes)
    [​IMG]

I'd also consider:

39mm JLC Master Control
    [​IMG]

36mm Rolex 116000
    [​IMG]

34mm Tudor 74000 "Ranger Dial"
    [​IMG]

39mm IWC IW325102 Pilot Dual time
    [​IMG]

DIV, fskywalker, kkt and 6 others like this.
  18. SuperHero Aug 7, 2018

The new Railmaster is sooo good looking. My AD doesn’t have one in stock to try but I heard that they wear big for 40mm.

19. many Aug 7, 2018

Maybe try to ignore threads you don’t like instead of trying to be a gatekeeper. Cheers mate.

EatMan and Riviera Paradise like this.
  20. gostang9 Aug 7, 2018

Good advice. I’ve given it myself before...

Riviera Paradise likes this.