Recommendation needed: Looking for a watch storage solution inside a safe or bank vault

Dear community,

I am looking for suitable storage boxes or cases for several watches (I was thinking of 8-10 watches per box/case) which are reasonably sturdy and, above all, very compact, so that they can be stored in a space saving way in a safe or bank vault. The watches shall be protected from touching each other and the cases shall be easy to stack (when using several of them).

In terms of size, I was thinking of no more than 30 by 30cm and as flat as possible (4-5cm) - I am intending to store mainly vintage watches. Ideally, the boxes could also be used as a transport case, but this is not a knock-out criterion. The case interior shall be suitable for watches on both, steel bracelets and leather straps.

So, do you have any specific product recommendations for me or can you add any other criteria that are important to you for such a storage option? Since in many cases a safe or vault should also offer protection against fire, are there any restrictions material-wise (e.g. no foam around the watches that would melt if exposed to heat) that you would pay attention to?

Looking forward to your tips and recommendations!

Kind regards,
F.Antl

I just use these or similar, theyre thick pvc ziplock bags which don’t allow watches to scratch or dent eachother, great for moving them around, shipping them when needed, and you can just stack them in the box inside these sleeves. I bought a 100 pack 10 years ago and have only just run out.

I don’t want to be carrying a watch box or anything that implies watches to or from the safe deposit facility, if I’m carrying a couple, they’ll be in these PVC sleeves in my pockets, and if its a bunch they’ll be in a crummy looking plastic K-Mart bag, not in anything fancy or Louis Vuitton printed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224688444338

IMG_0217.jpeg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Does storing the watch in plastic have any long-term impact on the leather or gold plate etc? I'm thinking about off-gassing or long-term contact.

I use these boxes. Inexpensive and practical
Screenshot_20240609-031318_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Probably better to be in the plastic pouch than to be exposed to whatever is going on inside a bank vault. Neither is good long term, but then again, there is really no way to protect against environmental damage over a long period of time.

Many years ago, I was given a new (at the time) wooden Omega AT box to store one of my vintage gold-capped watches. Over time, I noticed a blotchy red patina forming on the bezel. It was easily dealt with using a blue Blitz cloth, but I didn't like have to polish it up every few months. I used one of these small Ziplock bags, and this is no longer an issue.
gatorcpa

Ziplocks here as well…

Does storing the watch in plastic have any long-term impact on the leather or gold plate etc? I'm thinking about off-gassing or long-term contact.

Yes. any plastics that are true PVC will outgas, and cause an acidic reaction on the surface of the metal over long periods of time. This is a bigger deal in the numismatic (coins) community than it likely is to be with wristwatches, and many collections stored in PVC and unchecked on for years were destroyed by the chemical processes. In order of most damage: copper, silver, gold, platinum- stainless steel like used in the watch industry probably last (but likely some impact). Long-term exposure to PVC would likely impact anodized surfaces on aluminum bezels. Not something I'd want to expose my watches to. HOWEVER, note that we're not talking weeks or months of unchecked storage, but years. Short-term storage in PVC is not going to be an issue, although long-term will likely destroy your gold plating (for starters).

Ziploc branded bags are made of polyethylene (LDP)- I believe the US FDA prohibits the use of any PVC products in food storage bags. Even if not ideal, ziplocs are probably not going to be the worst option for half-decade to decade storage+ unchecked. The major concern I would have over that period is trapped moisture, or moisture somehow getting into the bag and becoming trapped inside the "closed environment" of the plastic bag.
Edited:

I admit that I use those vinyl pouches for convenience at home, but they're not good for long-term use, so I'd think twice before putting them in a bank vault where a watch might sit for a long time.

I shipped a watch once in a closed ziploc and when the receiver got the watch, the leather strap had grown spores. Not sure how that happened.
Edited:

I have a 10" x 10" SD box and I use two of these Tech Swiss boxes that I bought from Amazon twelve years ago (seems like they are no longer available). Each holds 16 watches and two of them will fit in the SD box with 3-4" left on top where I put the wife's jewelry which she has in two flat plastic compartmentalized cases. Very tidy. They have handles and zipper closures so they are easy to move from the car to the vault. I assume 99% of the people who see these think they contain firearms, I don't care, I'm not vulnerable in the 10 or so steps from my car to the bank's front door, the town is very safe. I don't like the idea of storing anything like watches in any sort of vinyl bags.
Edited:

I would be concerned about off-gassing from the faux leather lining in a box like that inside a safe deposit box. These linings are not made from archival materials. The Ziploc bags are admittedly not the best, but act as a controlled environment within a controlled environment, especially with a packet of silica gel in each one.

I'm open to better suggestions.
gatorcpa

I would be concerned about off-gassing from the faux leather lining in a box like that inside a safe deposit box. These linings are not made from archival materials. The Ziploc bags are admittedly not the best, but act as a controlled environment within a controlled environment, especially with a packet of silica gel in each one.

I'm open to better suggestions.
gatorcpa
Depends on how long you keep the watches in the vault. For me it's one month at a time, twice per year. I'm not worried. And I'm not a chemist but wouldn't vinyl eventually stop, or slow down, it's off gassing as it ages? I would think a twelve year old box isn't off gassing as much as a fresh one right out of the factory, but just guessing.

There are archival quality plastic pouches, polypropylene IIRC, but double check me on that.

I would think a twelve year old box isn't off gassing as much as a fresh one right out of the factory, but just guessing.
Not sure about that. It's not just the chemicals used to make the lining, but after a decade or so, other bits start decaying and throwing off who know what. When it is inside a small box, inside another small box in a closed vault, I don't think the ventilation is going to be optimal. However, if you are frequently moving things in and out of the box, then it may not be as much of an issue as just leaving it there for years at a time.
gatorcpa

Depends on how long you keep the watches in the vault. For me it's one month at a time, twice per year. I'm not worried. And I'm not a chemist but wouldn't vinyl eventually stop, or slow down, it's off gassing as it ages? I would think a twelve year old box isn't off gassing as much as a fresh one right out of the factory, but just guessing.

This has been discussed pretty thoroughly in the numismatic community, I'm not 100% certain of what the outcome is but generally it is agreed the risk from PVC exists for decades.

Regarding the other materials... stainless steel is pretty resistant, but coins stored for very long periods of time in canvas, burlap or cloth develops some very "cool" patina from contact with the material as it ages and breaks down.

1000014516.jpg

This is coin silver (90% silver 10% copper) and not stainless steel, so the watch case composition & construction materials is going to make some difference but don't discard the possibility that some sort of chemical process is happening.

Nickel is fairly resistant *to corrosion, and I have seen Jefferson Nickels that have toned yellow-orange from long time storage in a safe and inside of a paper and plastic container (likely, the paper was acid printed).
Edited:

Yes. any plastics that are true PVC will outgas, and cause an acidic reaction on the surface of the metal over long periods of time. This is a bigger deal in the numismatic (coins) community than it likely is to be with wristwatches, and many collections stored in PVC and unchecked on for years were destroyed by the chemical processes. In order of most damage: copper, silver, gold, platinum- stainless steel like used in the watch industry probably last (but likely some impact). Long-term exposure to PVC would likely impact anodized surfaces on aluminum bezels. Not something I'd want to expose my watches to. HOWEVER, note that we're not talking weeks or months of unchecked storage, but years. Short-term storage in PVC is not going to be an issue, although long-term will likely destroy your gold plating (for starters).

Ziploc branded bags are made of polyethylene (LDP)- I believe the US FDA prohibits the use of any PVC products in food storage bags. Even if not ideal, ziplocs are probably not going to be the worst option for half-decade to decade storage+ unchecked. The major concern I would have over that period is trapped moisture, or moisture somehow getting into the bag and becoming trapped inside the "closed environment" of the plastic bag.

The name PVC is a big hint... Poly Vinyl Chloride, the last bit is the nasty bit, chlorine is very corrosive nasty toxic stuff (it had a red hot go at killing me in an industrial accident some years ago) but it is also very useful and versatile.
When heated can release hydrochloride gas, very corrosive and toxic. So the fire scenario may not be all that good, depending on the amount of heat exposure, it can only need upwards of 60C deg for PVC to start to release hydrochloride gasses.
One of the problems with PVC is the additives used to give it the desired properties required for the finished product's application. these can be acidic and/or metallic, which with outgassing could potentially prove corrosive to your watch confined inside, over time. The longer it's in there the more concerned you should be. And stuck hidden away in a bank vault can easily be forgotten for extended periods of time.

I had my old Jaguar XJ12 S2 dash top pad recovered by a motor trimmer as it had split and looked like shit.
He must have used a different Vinyl from original, as after it had been done I would get a greasy residue deposited upon the inside of the windscreen every few days or so, this of course would be much worse when out in the harsh Aussie sun over summer with the windows up.
Just a practical example of outgassing.

I had my old Jaguar XJ12 S2 dash top pad recovered by a motor trimmer as it had split and looked like shit.
He must have used a different Vinyl from original, as after it had been done I would get a greasy residue deposited upon the inside of the windscreen every few days or so, this of course would be much worse when out in the harsh Aussie sun over summer with the windows up.
Just a practical example of outgassing.

Thats a bloody nuisance!
I have had it in the past when groomers sprayed the Dash with silicone oil (because it looks nicer, NOT) and then you have to put up with the same thing as the silicone oil evaporated or gassed onto the windscreen ( groomers are prats)

Thanks. Some pocket watch crystals will yellow over time, at this point they are off-gassing and will easily rust out the hands
IMG_0744.jpeg