Forums Latest Members
  1. cimo Apr 19, 2016

Hi all,

Though it seemed like a topic that would have already been covered in depth, my search only revealed a scant few (ancient) threads about best/preferred practices for watch storage. I am curious how important you think climate/humidity control is?

I started out with this watch box

Image1461085943.682580.jpg

But was quickly turned off by the finicky zipper, inadequate padding, and annoying elastic that invariably got caught on the keepers/buckles of my watches. I ended up going with a pelican 1170.

Image1461086055.915362.jpg

How do you store your watches? Do you use a desiccant or is it not necessary? I like the idea of it, but sure is a space hog..

nlogax likes this.
  2. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Apr 19, 2016

I have the first one you had for holidays etc,I agree with the annoying strap catching elastic,but for the money is good?

3. calalum Apr 19, 2016

I keep all of my watches at the bank except the one that I am wearing. The bank is a block from my office so going there is not a big deal most of the time with minimal planning. My house was broken into once with some loss of watches and valuables and having all of my watches there is not a good option, unfortunately.

4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Apr 19, 2016

I keep a few in a Diplomat winder/storage box. The rest are in the gun safe. Any time I'm on vacation they all go into the safe.

5. nlogax Apr 19, 2016

+1 for the Pelican, that's exactly what I use. I think your filing drawer storage might be better than mine too... I've fitted in 8 watches face up and would like more space! I've slid a couple of desiccant pouches down the sides too.

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 19, 2016

Depends on your needs of course. Collector or not - modern or vintage - users or safe queens, etc. If you have a lot of watches and are a collector/user a larger box might be nice. I have four (only three shown in the pic) Underwood UN 233. These are expensive but I reckon watches being my main hobby and (almost) life long interest. The cushions are the best I have seen. Holds even the heaviest watches in place. The Underwood winder standing beside the boxes - I thought was a good idea. Have not used it at all. As I change watches a couple of times a day and try to rotate them all - no idea to have one going all the time.

The boxes are at different locations at all time - never all in one place. Always in safes or at the bank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is also a side compartment for "stuff":

[​IMG]

I also have a Rolex box. Useless. The cushions are a joke. Going to make new ones that actually holds the watches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whatever box you choose - make sure the cushions are OK for the purpose.

Edited Apr 19, 2016
  7. Pvt-Public Apr 19, 2016

Since I really have nothing of any real value this works for me. And I am just cheap anyways.
    storage.jpg

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  8. Aussie Jim Apr 19, 2016

I have one of those top ones and am about to throw it out for the reasons you have identified. It is really annoying.

The use of dessicants depends on your climate. In humid Sydney my shoes look like a mushroom forest if I am not onto them regularly, so I figure I need to use dessicants and cycle them frequently. Maybe not, but not too much effort.

Love the look of @styggpyggeno1 boxes, but have just googled them and the price is a little off putting. On the other hand he has a beautiful selection of watches in there. That is probably only his third best box

9. timjohn Apr 19, 2016

It's cheap, keeps out humidity and you can fit a few in a small safe.... Like @Aussie Jim, a dessicant with every watch and a big one in the safe itself.
    IMG_1306.JPG

And this for the waterproof modern ones -- an old blanket and 5 mins with a sewing machine
    IMG_1309.JPG

cimo and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 19, 2016

That Underwood looks nice. I have one of the smaller ones. I tend to agree with you though, we invest a lot in our watches, no reason to put them in a cheap box. I splurged on a Venlo Volla 12 watch case and love it. Its very small for 12 watches, and the cushions are the best. I also have two of Raniers 10 watch cases, the quality is not as nice as the Venlo, but they cost far less and are exceptional cases for the money.

IMG_0057.JPG Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 10.18.41 PM.png ranier.jpg
  11. cimo Apr 22, 2016

So I'm a bit late coming back to this thread--the Raniers you mention look quite nice at a reasonable price.

Also, I know that bottom row there is the creme de la creme, but if those Carreras aren't some of the tastiest morsels I've seen.. rocking-banana.gif

CajunTiger likes this.
  12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 22, 2016

Thanks!! I love the Ranier boxes...they are reasonably priced and look amazing. Build quality isn't as high as the expensive boxes, but how could it at these prices. He also has several other options and has them on Ebay as well. Super nice guy.

13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 22, 2016

I have a thing for Pelican cases, I keep all of firearms in them. They are basic, but indestructible, and in an odd way, quasi stylish in a Halliburtonesque kind of way.
    [​IMG]

14. Aceldama Apr 22, 2016

I reuse my MKII branded pelican cases. Padded and easy to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. shelfcompact Apr 22, 2016

First leather case that has wow'ed me. Wow!
    Wish I could afford these guys.

I currently use a Ranier box since I couldn't find any other wooden boxes I really like either.
    Though I need another...

16. Kobus Apr 22, 2016

I like that pelican case.
    Should also be storing in a safe............
    Damn bat I like looking at them.