Forums Latest Members
  1. MK1965 Jan 16, 2015

I have recently inherited an Omega watch from circa 1943/4 (serial no 9992775). This was bought my late father in Tel Aviv, then Palestine, when in the Polish Forces under British command during WW2.

As a complete novice I have no idea as to which type it is other than it looks very, very similar to others in the Staybright range I have seen elsewhere on this recently discovered and excellent forum

It is not without its blemishes and nicks, but is in entirely original condition, other than a very worn nondescript strap (which I suspect is very much non original). After some initial reluctance where it would / wouldn't work (it had not been wound for some time), with daily winding it has settled down nicely, albeit with it now running a little fast.

I have noted the many comments regarding dial restoration work and the general consensus that it is to be avoided and will be heeding this advice. My question is regarding what I should do now?

I doubt very much whether my father had the watch serviced at all during its 70 plus years life and yet it is still going. Should I get it serviced and if so, can anyone recommend a reputable agent in the Birmingham, or nearby areas. I am doubtful about posting it (unless I really have to) and would prefer to be able to visit in person. Or am I just being too cautious?

Thank you for accepting me as a member and I look forward to any advice given.

Mike.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 16, 2015

Welcome to the forum, pictures always appreciated.
    Quite a few recommendations will no doubt surface but from personal experience http://watchguy.co.uk/about/ is a great guy. He will discuss by email exactly what you wish and will certainly do no more. Posting I certainly would not worry about.