Forums Latest Members
  1. rkman11 Jul 5, 2018

Is there a more misused phrase in all of vintage watch collecting? The idea that putting new oil on top of the old dried oil is a service (which I just experienced...) is rampant. I think a new rule for the sales section should be that if a seller can't supply a receipt/proof for a service, they cannot sell the watch as "serviced."
    Can't imagine I'm alone here.

mr_yossarian likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 5, 2018

A receipt or “proof of service” won’t prove a thing. Even if legit those say nothing about the quality of said service.

Best to assume a service will be needed.

marco, bloomy, noelekal and 5 others like this.
  3. wsfarrell Jul 5, 2018

There are probably a couple of watchmakers on the site who would disagree with this.

DomB likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 5, 2018

As the saying goes, the exception proves the rule.

5. dan7800 Jul 5, 2018

I find "rare" and "breathtaking" to be overused even more.....

Lonestar and connieseamaster like this.
  6. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 5, 2018

How about unpolished? LOL

7. Draven Jul 5, 2018

I think it is always a good idea to factor in a service cost when buying a vintage watch, that way you will be sure.

Occasionally you will find a watch that is running and working perfectly and I would say enjoy it until you feel it requires the inevitable service.

airansun likes this.
  8. Canuck Jul 5, 2018

Having attended many horological marts over decades, I have constantly been astonished at the number of times I have been examining (for example) pocket watches, and to be told a particular watch has “just been serviced”. I have learned that, even when you have the watch in your hand, you can rarely rely on it having been thoroughly and competently serviced. I have never bought a watch on line, but I am certain the same holds true. Of course, there will be exceptions. But caveat emptor.

WhatYourWatchSay and airansun like this.
  9. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2018

"NOS" (New Old Stock) and "RARE!" are the two misused terms that irk me the most.

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 5, 2018

Whenever I sell a watch that has been serviced I say so but stress no proof as my watchmaker and I have a great relationship, i'll leave you to take what you wish from that ;)

11. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 5, 2018

Well my recently arrived watch from Bulgaria is marked as all serviced.

Running erratically and the hairspring looks like it has some issues. Oh well, off to the watchmaker it goes...

Caveat emptor.

Edited Jul 5, 2018
  12. airansun In the shuffling madness Jul 5, 2018

Particularly if you’ve spent a pretty penny, spring for your own service when you receive it. You’ll be surprised.

I know I have. And disappointed.

13. Wryfox Jul 5, 2018

Remove case back, make sure springy thing is wiggling back and forth, use q-tip to dab out old piece of gasket laying on bridge, put case back on......voila! Serviced!

14. rcs914 Jul 5, 2018

What I find particularly hilarious is the mantra that we often see drilled about "factor in the cost of a service" etc, when noobs are asking about their Granddad's watch, or something they want to buy on ebay, yet so often when watches are offered for sale here the "service history is unknown" :rolleyes:.

WhatYourWatchSay and BenBagbag like this.
  15. kkt Jul 5, 2018

Well, the seller might have no idea where Grandpa kept the service receipts.

If the seller shows a receipt, search on the watchmaker. Not only are you buying the watch and the seller, but also the watchmaker.

16. sevenhelmet Jul 5, 2018

Agreed. How about "Bespoke"? ;)

I don't see the latter as much as I did a year or so ago. Maybe people are finally realizing the irony of using it on mass-produced watches.

17. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2018

Don't forget "unique" and "prototype". ::facepalm2:: :rolleyes:

WhatYourWatchSay and dan7800 like this.
  18. rkman11 Jul 6, 2018

Very fair - MANY MANY misused phrases in the vintage watch collecting world. But NOS, unique, unpolished, etc etc - those are all things that can be determined by photo before buying. Recent service, however, even a skilled master watchmaker can’t truly say just by movement pics alone.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2018

Military and WWII are up there too, as is Nazi for some disturbing reason... Its sad that there are people that will draw swastikas onto watches hoping to get more money out of it.

merchandiser and ulackfocus like this.
  20. asrnj77 Jul 6, 2018

Sadder that this is a selling point...

merchandiser and ulackfocus like this.