Recent acquisition, antique silver pocket watch…..what is it?

I recently acquired this nice old pocket watch, as a repayment of a debt, poor bugger never has any money and offered this in lieu of payment.
It doesn’t really owe me much, @ AUS $200 and I figured I don’t much care if I lose on the deal.
I helped out a friend in need and got a pretty bauble for my trouble.

It needs a new main spring and a good clean, I know bugger all about it’s history as my friend found it for sale in an Op shop (charity shop / goodwill store to those of you not in Oz) And it has the key.

So what is it? Is it any good?

As with so many English watches, there is no marking on the movement to help with information. It would appear to have Lancashire or Prescott characteristics, but not much help beyond that. The case on the other hand, tells us it was hallmarked in London (the face of the lion), the case is somewhere between coin silver (.800 fine), and sterling silver (.925 fine) as identified by the lion passant. The fancy L (lower case, italics) indicates circa 1866-67. The D L is the trade mark of the case maker. Likely David Lark, 23 Meredith Street, Clerkenwell. But he had several other addresses as well. This information from Phillip Preistley’s volume on English case makers. The dial is also silver, but the Roman numerals will likely be 18-karat gold. Hands are blued steel, spade and poker style, and are probably replacements. The only jewelled bearing evident, is on the balance cock, and it appears to be a rose cut diamond.
Is it any good? Good relative to what? Good for a 19th-century English watch. But compared to better watches of that era, just okay. Not many folks collect these.

Thanks for that info, I didn’t think it was likely to be anything really special and I figured that in this modern age of smart watches for dumb people it would have a very limited appeal, however I quite like it.

Thanks for that info, I didn’t think it was likely to be anything really special and I figured that in this modern age of smart watches for dumb people it would have a very limited appeal, however I quite like it.

Your watch is around 155 years old, and it is still cherished. It will still be around in another hundred years. Our great great grandchildren will be wading around up to their ankles in discarded Smart watches one hundred years from now. Smart watches and others of their sort.

As with so many English watches, there is no marking on the movement to help with information. It would appear to have Lancashire or Prescott characteristics, but not much help beyond that. The case on the other hand, tells us it was hallmarked in London (the face of the lion), the case is somewhere between coin silver (.800 fine), and sterling silver (.925 fine) as identified by the lion passant. The fancy L (lower case, italics) indicates circa 1866-67. The D L is the trade mark of the case maker. Likely David Lark, 23 Meredith Street, Clerkenwell. But he had several other addresses as well. This information from Phillip Preistley’s volume on English case makers. The dial is also silver, but the Roman numerals will likely be 18-karat gold. Hands are blued steel, spade and poker style, and are probably replacements. The only jewelled bearing evident, is on the balance cock, and it appears to be a rose cut diamond.
Is it any good? Good relative to what? Good for a 19th-century English watch. But compared to better watches of that era, just okay. Not many folks collect these.

A few additional comments. English hallmarked silver is always sterling silver, never less. The "DL" mark may or may not be the casemaker. This mark is the so-called sponsors mark. The sponsor is the person entering an item to the authoriy and having it marked. Often the sponsor is indeed the maker of a marked item, but it is not a great exception that the sponsor instead is e.g. a company or individual, which purchases cases made by others and has it hallmarked in own name (e.g. Baume, who imported Longines movements and cased them in English cases).

The maker of the movement might perhaps be identified through a mark applied under the dial. It is a mass production movement.

These watches were and still are considered relatively attractive, despite the rather simple movement in this case. Watches with this dial type rarely have really good movements, they were aimed at customers wanting to show off a little bit. But even these simpler movements are well made and still good for many years, provided an occasional service is down.

Concerning the value, this dial type it is today clearly preferred over the same watch, but with enamel dial (even if mint). At least by the occasional buyers of vintage pocket watches. I myself have two, but with top level movements. The occasional buyers do not know how to judge movement quality, or simply do not mind. If you intend to sell the watch you might recover more than the mentioned AU$ 200 😀

Cheers, Bernhard

And a big thank you for the two replies above.
And as for it being aimed at the type of customer that likes to show off a bit………..given that I’m as flash as a rat with a gold tooth…..bang! straight on target! It’s still doing it after all this time. 😁