Forums Latest Members

Advice Needed on Antique Silver Omega Pocket Watch - What's Worth Fixing & What's Not?

1. vintagelady Apr 24, 2016

Hello All,

I posted a few weeks ago to the thread "Does Anyone Still Collect Pocket Watches", but since it seems less visited, I decided to pose my question on a new one.

I recently purchased an antique .800 silver full-hunter silver Omega pocket watch as a 73rd birthday present for my dad; he's only worn pocket watches his entire life. He currently uses a Swiss Army quartz pocket watch which can't have cost more than $50 - I'm excited to get him something I know he more than deserves and will love... It finally arrived the day before yesterday from England. The seller assured me that the watch was running, kept good time, and had "recently been serviced". Although I carefully scrutinized the photos from the seller, they are after all, photos. I wound the watch and kept an eye on it the first day, ensuring it did indeed run (it's much louder than I expected) - however, I noticed that the hour hand was angled down towards the dial and the second hand would stick against it when it crossed into the seconds dial. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think this problem, while small, pushes the envelope of "keeps good time" and "recently serviced". The mechanism keeps ticking/trying to run, but the hands stop when the hour and second hands touch (...which they shouldn't. I know.) I ended up constantly adjusting the hour hand as far from the second hand as possible until it finished winding down. I dropped it at my jeweler's yesterday, and he 1) confirmed under a loupe that the dial is original (whew!), and that 2) the hands should/would have been "re balanced" or "tightened" at a servicing. I also noticed that the hour and minute hands were showing a bit of wear - whether it was the gilt wearing through or something else, I couldn't say, but I asked for quote on having them re-gilded. I also noticed the crystal was not glass or [sapphire] crystal - it was a strange, plastic-like material (thin, strange sound when tapped, but not as much give as modern plastic). My jeweler said he felt it was original or at least of-the-period, since all other parts of the watch were (anyone know anything about this?). Regardless, I asked for a quote if they were able to find a newer glass or crystal that would fit; I draw the line at creating one custom ($$$!).

So, long story short:
    1. Cleaning and servicing (including tightening/aligning all hands) - CHECK.
    2. Getting a quote on re-plating original hands - PENDING.
    3. Getting a quote on a AM crystal - PENDING.

Here's my question - I feel I got the watch at a good price, so I am willing to spend a little for some restoration. However, I might be willing to spend more if it helps maintain or adds to the value of the watch. On the flip side, I don't want to do anything to take away value/original condition either. If anyone has advice or knowledge, I readily welcome it!

Here are some pictures I took the day it arrived (I've read enough about the dangers of amateurs attempting to open the back so I didn't even bother; the last image of the interior is from the seller.)

omega pw 1.jpg

omega pw 2.jpg

omega pw 3.jpg

silver omega full hunter pocket watch with silver chain 7.jpg

Edited Apr 24, 2016
  2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 24, 2016

Hey Vintage Lady,

Nothing specific to this watch, but as I'm sure you know, pocket watches are not as popular as they once were.

With that in mind, anything you do to maintain the watch (servicing, new crystal, re-gilted hands) isn't likely to add huge value - but would make it easier to sell on for market rate if you no longer wanted it.

It's a lovely looking thing, and people do buy/collecte them, there just isn't a huge market for them.

All the best

Chris

3. vintagelady Apr 24, 2016

I completely understand - I feel the market actually worked in my favor, since my dad has and only will ever use a pocket watch. The only reason I was searching for one was for my father (sentimental/gift reasons). It was so difficult to find one by Omega in a solid metal (silver or gold, not plated or filled), with a full-hunter case, without a personalized engraving/inscription! In the end, I just don't want to diminish its integrity - as an ever more difficult to find piece of mechanical history (that's why I decided against having the cartouche on the front engraved). I've seen them in pieces, parted out or "Frankensteined". Heartbreaking. By letting me know none of the actions I want to take are setting off alarm bells, you've answered my question. Thank you!

4. tyrantlizardrex Apr 24, 2016

A further piece of advise that I would offer, is that you're possibly better off with a watch maker than a jeweller - someone like @Archer who is highly respected in the world of looking after Omega's, and might be able to shed some more light on availability of a correct crystal/glass.

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 24, 2016

The movement looks to have had a hard life but I've seen a lot worse run very reliably once serviced. These were good sturdy working watches.

A decent watch maker should be able to bend the hands slightly to keep them from hooking, thats not a big deal.

Watch crystal for hunter case watches need to be very flat and thin to fit inside the case. I've had several that I knew were good quality glass but that sounded dead or wrong, like plastic when tapped, I think its just the shape they need to be that gives them the odd sound. Celluloid "crystals" were available back then, the earliest of plastic watch crystals, but they tend to yellow and would not look good by now so yours is likely glass. An older dealer might still have correct crystals in stock if you do need one, I had one fit to my 1906 Elgin hunter case last year while I waited.

I think "Dave's watch parts" on the weeb might have the correct crystal if you have trouble tracking such things down.

the watch dates to the mid twenties. Nice piece, I hope it serves its new owner well.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2016

Any spun nitro-cellulose crystals I've seen are quite yellow by now, so not likely that. Difficult to say if it's a crystal fitting issue without seeing the watch in person. And hopefully whoever is doing the work is not just bending the hands, but determining why they are misaligned and correcting that...

Cheers, Al

Fritz and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. wsfarrell Apr 24, 2016

Paul at Paul's Watch Repair in Sacramento specializes in pocket watches and always has 30-40 on display (for sale) that he has overhauled. I'm sure he could make this one sing for you, at a reasonable price. Here's a link: http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 25, 2016

What you see here is the difference between the pro who does it right (Al) a guy who hacks around in his dining room making old clocks run using left over oil from his '53 Triumph motorcycle..... (um...that would be me)

thanks yet again Al.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. vintagelady May 7, 2016

It's [grad school] finals week, so apologies for the delay...

Thank you all for your advice! @tyrantlizardrex - I did take it to an authorized Omega jeweler, and I just picked it back up today. Everything looks and works great. @Fritz / @Archer - Thank you both for the info on the glass; that really cleared things up. It absolutely sounds like plastic when you tap it, but now I know why. None of my regular jewelers could answer my question...

Ironically, my dad's delayed gift will be given to him tomorrow. On Mother's Day. Can't wait to see his reaction! :)

tyrantlizardrex and Fritz like this.
  10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 7, 2016

Must have finished/cleaned up pictures! Oh please!

11. vintagelady May 7, 2016

Oh gosh - I'll do my best but I can't get pictures of the inside (never tried to open a watch on my own but OF members have scared me out of even attempting). Here's what I can show... It's been cleaned/polished, and you can see the hands are aligned. Sorry if they are underwhelming!

20160507_144330.jpg

20160507_144618.jpg
    20160507_145049-1.jpg
    20160507_145334.jpg

20160507_145142.jpg

12. ChrisN May 7, 2016

'53 Triumph motorcycle - hmmm, pictures? :)

I once had a lot of oil left over from my XK120 when I realised that my oil drainer will only take 10 litres. I think the XK holds 14...

Oh, @vintagelady , nice present!

Cheers, Chris

vintagelady likes this.
  13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 7, 2016

it was a nice day..... sold the bike.... kept the girl..... good decision

wedding shot.jpg

Beautiful watch!! Lovely gift!.... and a silver chain as well, nice.

vintagelady, Albe100 and ChrisN like this.
  14. Eddy Wijaya Jul 24, 2016

Hi Vintage Lady,

I also bought a Silver Omega Pocket Watch with a cover glass look like "thin plastic" and very clear. I just want to know what was the answer from the watch shop to your "thin plastic" glass.
    Is that the original from the Omega and what is it made of?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks.

Regards,
    Eddy

image.jpeg image.jpeg