Forums Latest Members
  1. tgcarl Oct 23, 2018

Im 46 & earn 35k (Around 2k per month take home)

I have my heart set on an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600 43.5mm with the first 15 minutes of bezel orange.
    It's £4650, meaning £400 deposit then 0% APR for however long up to 4 years.
    I told them I wanted a Wolf Viceroy single watch winder with it & they've agreed. I left it & now they've said they can do some more, I'll know on Wednesday what that is.

I love this watch, may be trying it on went to my head I don't know.

I can afford the watch & any repayments, I just want your advice if you feel I'm stupid to do so.

2. D.D. Oct 23, 2018

That's perfectly fine as it's affordable.
    You may wish to think twice whether a watch winder is needed though.

Foo2rama and tgcarl like this.
  3. rohnin Oct 23, 2018

Just wear it often and forget the winder

4. Davidt Oct 23, 2018

Man come on. What you're doing is like walking into a smack den and asking fellow junkies if they think you should score.

nlogax, Wryfox, TMas and 16 others like this.
  5. Slowpoker Oct 23, 2018

If the watch is right for you, why not?

The winder may not be needed, but you could just sell it and put the cash towards the watch.

I wonder what more they can offer you.. If it's a strap or bracelet you could definitely sell it for a tidy profit.

greyfox422, Foo2rama and tgcarl like this.
  6. dinexus Oct 23, 2018

Skip the winder and have 'em throw in an extra strap instead. That watch looks amazing on lots of different OEM options.

7. superfly Oct 23, 2018

You'll probably get a raise just for wearing that watch to work. ;)

murph and tgcarl like this.
  8. Exarkun12 Oct 23, 2018

Hello TS,

I would recommend checking out a reputable grey dealer where you are able to get this watch for a much lower price with full manufacturer's warranty...I used to live in the UK and know a reputable dealer...PM me if you are interested and I can share the link with you.

and also agree with the rest that you won't need a winder :)

murph, tgcarl and Slowpoker like this.
  9. KAP Oct 23, 2018

That's a big cash outlay versus the annual salary (13%), however it sounds like you've saved up for it over quite a long period of time. Even so, I would suggest taking the time to look for a previously owned watch that has already taken the depreciation hit. New Omega watches do not retain value in the near term so you could anticipate a steep drop in value after an initial new purchase. Even if you plan to keep it forever, it's worth thoughtful contemplation if this is the best option if you have to spread payment over multiple years to purchase a watch.

airansun, murph, George.A and 5 others like this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Oct 23, 2018

Consider buying used for more savings, I have seen too many threads where people are trying to unload their bought-new watches and have to take a depreciation hit. At least if you change your mind (many people do) you can minimize or hopefully even eliminate losses.

Wryfox, Wombat123, airansun and 8 others like this.
  11. tgcarl Oct 23, 2018

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

WatchVaultNYC and superfly like this.
  12. jimmyd13 Oct 23, 2018

it's a great watch that I really like. I've tried it on at last four times but I can never quite get on with the height. Everytime I see this watch mentioned, I go search for the older 2500 ... and then remind myself I really want a ProPlof ... ah well, that's the next hour wasted ...

tgcarl likes this.
  13. Stufflers Mom Oct 23, 2018

A PO is something that I'm contemplating again, but this time it might be the grey titanium version, but I can't get the Panerai 722 out of my head.

tgcarl likes this.
  14. JamieG Oct 23, 2018

I wouldn’t expect to pay retail for any PO personally. Do some proper homework before going back.

See what you can negotiate as a “cash” buyer without the finance. Buy with a credit card and transfer the balance to a 0% Card with a long interest free period.

tgcarl likes this.
  15. tgcarl Oct 23, 2018

I'll have a word with then tomorrow when they ring. They say they'll offer something else also, may be they'll knock something off.
    Sadly the only way I get to negotiate is via phone, they don't sell them near me.
    They sell Tag Heuer but not Omega.

16. JamieG Oct 23, 2018

Crikey, where do you live? The Outer Hebrides or similar. Omega AD’s are just about everywhere aren’t they?

17. tgcarl Oct 23, 2018

UK but it's depending on the area. Wigan Goldsmiths, Beaveebrooks, Ernest Jones etc don't stock them.
    My closest Omega stockist is Manchester, around 25 miles from me.

18. mydeafcat Oct 23, 2018

David, you owe me the bourbon I just spit out laughing so hard.

Wombat123 and Davidt like this.
  19. Gruesome Oct 23, 2018

Over two months worth of salary is quite a bit of money. I agree with the suggestions to either look for a very well preserved used one (and save 50%), or buy a new watch with a stamped and dated Omega international warranty card via an intermediate ('grey market') dealer (the original authorized dealer stamps and dates the warranty). I'm not sure what the savings in the second case would be, but would guess 30%?
    Even if you don't buy that route, you need to find out what the discounts are, for negotiating with your dealer of choice.

Since your AD is not local to you, the usual arguments for buying there for less of a discount (develop a relationship, have local support if an issue or question pops up or you need the warranty) don't really apply in your case.

Edited Oct 23, 2018
    murph and tgcarl like this.
  20. tgcarl Oct 24, 2018

I've had my latest offer, Inc a Wolf Viceroy watch winder and 10% off.
    Ordered a new phone with delivery 13th November. I have iPhone X still currently & got an Apple watch series 4 costing £879 to go with it. Nice for sports I guess, but even doing that, can be very annoying.
    So sent the watch back, pre ordered a new phone & getting a gorgeous watch to go with it.
    So accept that offer or be cheeky. Please sir, can I have some more.

Aussie Jim and Speedy2254 like this.