Forums Latest Members
  1. LarryOz Jun 8, 2016

I bought my first nice watch in 1982, a Rolex Date-just and it was my daily wearer for 30 years. I was single and, therefore, had some disposable income. Shortly after that I got married and had a child so that was the end of my fine watch collecting. I recently retired and have accumulated a small handful of watches, among them a new Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch and a 2001 Seamaster Professional, model 2599.80, both chronographs. I am very happy with my small collection and can only think of one change I would like to make. I got the Seamaster at a time when I was really into chronographs. Since then, I have started to prefer simpler designs with just a sweep second hand and a date (although definitely keeping the Moonwatch, which I love). I now really like the Seamaster without the chronograph complication. I was lucky enough to run into someone that had the type of Seamaster I am thinking of trading for so I could look at it and try it on to confirm my preference. I want to stay with the same vintage as I love the blue wave dial. I would rather not go through the hassle of having to sell my watch and then buy another one and I am thinking that a trade might work. Seems hard to do a trade online, so may take it into HQ Milton in SF (I live close by and across the bay), and seeing if they would be willing to do a straight trade. I'm thinking that my chronograph would be more valuable than any similar vintage/model without the complication and that difference/profit could represent their incentive to do the trade.

Now, I know that there are a lot of factors, including condition, boxes/papers, any servicing, or anyone's willingness to even bother with it. I wanted to ask if that general approach to the situation makes sense to people in the forum. What do you think?

2. Baz9614 Jun 8, 2016

Pics of current Seamaster and the one you are considering would be helpful :whistling:

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 8, 2016

I think you might find that the classic three hander 2531 has overtaken the 2599 in desireability and value. The seamaster chronos don't seem very popular on the used market. these days.

4. LarryOz Jun 8, 2016

I will post a photo of my 2599.80 a little later today as I don't have one right now, and then find a stock photo for 2531.80 (I don't have a specific one that I am looking at) to compare them.

I was really just looking for more general guidance. Someone did let me know that the chronograph may NOT be worth more that the three hander (again, generally, as there are a lot of factors involved). I can understand that, as it is supply and demand and people may not prefer the chronograph (like me now). I may just have to find out how much it would cost to trade and then see if it is worth it to me. Anyway, it's not like I hate the 2599.80.

Baz9614 likes this.
  5. hchj Jun 8, 2016

I bought a full set 2599.80 at abt $1500 on another forum last month. I understand the market prefers 2531.80 a lot more. But I had no regrets at all. Buy or trade it at the right price won't put u in disadvantage should u decide to flip in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. LarryOz Jun 8, 2016

I attached a photo of the 2599.80 on my wrist and stock photo of a 2531.80. If the 2599.80 is actually worth less than the 2531.80 instead of more or at least equal, I may just keep it. It is a very nice watch with box, papers, and a recent service. It would probably anger the watch Gods if I got rid of it.

One thing, it always struck me odd that the pushers for the stopwatch function did not screw down on a dive watch like this. No problem for me, but if you accidentally hit them underwater, I assume that could cause a problem with water getting in. Or are they supposed to screw down and mine don't work?

2599.80.JPG Seamaster 2531 80.JPG
    Baz9614 likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers Jun 8, 2016

If you like the regular Seamaster more, do it. I'd just make sure the trade watch has had a recent service and has all the papers. Personally, I like the chrono better, but that's me.

The pushers on that one were designed to be waterproof at 300m and could be operated. Hence, no screw down crowns. Assuming the gaskets were replaced at the last service, you're fine to use them under water.

8. WatchVaultNYC Jun 9, 2016

I think the 2599.80 is worth more than the 2531.80. The demand is so low though that you may have to sell low to sell quick. Distinction without a difference? The titanium 2298.80 SMP chrono though is pretty hot.

9. guelerct Jun 9, 2016

Out of curiosity, what would you be timing under water?

10. LarryOz Jun 9, 2016

Good point. I don't see many underwater pictures with a chronograph. A diver would use a rotating bezel for timing air, something they could easily see and that will only turn in the direction that would decrease the time available.

11. Jaacck Jun 9, 2016

pics of the speedmaster always appreciated

12. M.D. Jun 9, 2016

Another thing to consider. HQ Milton will probably offer you less than what your watch is worth if you were selling it privately, and be asking more for the watch you want than if you bought it from a private seller. Do some research online via ebay and traderecon.com to get an idea of the value of both watches so you know better what you're getting into. Also keep in mind that if HQ Milton has something you like, you should be able to negotiate the price.

13. LarryOz Jun 9, 2016

You bet. I didn't have a watch with a nice leather strap so I sprang for an Omega strap and deployant shortly after buying. I live close to Oakland and just went to Otto Frei in person. They warned me that the strap was not officially paired with the Moonwatch, but it fit and I like the curved surface at the case. Also, the color goes well with the dial. The deployant was kind of expensive but it works like a little jewel. Sun in photo brings out every dust speck so it looks better in person.

I love the manual wind and hesalite crystal (I also have a 1982 Rolex so already had a tube of Polywatch). I appreciate that so many people here recommended it (not to me, but to most people that ask about it) as I was considering a totally different Omega. I would never consider parting with it.

DSC02165.JPG DSC02163.JPG
    Mothra likes this.
  14. M.D. Jun 9, 2016

Watchrecon.com, not traderecon.com ::facepalm2::

oddboy likes this.
  15. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 9, 2016

Submarine races, of course.

16. LarryOz Jun 9, 2016

Thanks, I didn't know about
    Thanks, I didn't know about Watchrecon.com. A lot of Seamasters to compare with.

17. LarryOz Jun 12, 2016

I meant to thank you for the response on the pushers. Thought that was the case, but always wondered about the knurling. Looks like it is just for decoration.